Kids' Reactions to "Controversial" Cheerios Commercial

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Irish

Thane of Solitude
I'm not sure what I hope to produce in terms of conversation by posting this, but I found this video on Facebook this morning and it made me smile. This particular Cheerios commercial incited rage by some because the family is made of mixed races (a white mom, a black dad, and a "mixed" daughter). It's not only refreshing to see the insight these amazing children offer, but it gives me hope for the future that someday the color of a person's skin (and even sexual orientation) will no longer be an issue.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...top_uri=/watch?v=rwdmzH4TFzc&feature=youtu.be

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
It's really that simple, it's just a Cheerio's commercial. Reminds of Sears putting two Mom's in their Mother's Day sales ad and catching a lot of plops for it. Their response to all the negativity? They put two Dad's in their Father's Day sales ad. I love it when companies do this, and the reason they catch so much heat for it is because it shows bigots that their views are not only dated, but will die out when they kick the bucket.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I just saw this commercial the other day. To be honest, I just thought it was cute how the little girl poured the Cheerios on the dad's chest while he was sleeping on the couch. The implication being that he has some kind of heart trouble. Maybe this video is racist for pointing out the fact that minorities have higher instances of heart disease? ;)

Irish

Thane of Solitude
I never received the alerts for your replies (I think that's when there were glitches with alerts), but I completely agree with both of you. I remember those Sears ads and how disgusted I was that bigoted asshats made a big deal out them in the first place, like they had absolutely nothing better to do than to piss and moan. I didn't know Sears did the Father's Day ad as a retort to all of the plops they got from the other one. That's awesome. Kudos to Sears!

I laughed when the dad woke up and spilled the bowl of Cheerios all over himself, Medea. He should've known better than to sleep with both eyes closed instead of one eye open with a child running around the house. ;)

sticky runes

Hearing kids saying stuff like that makes me wonder how old the people are who make all those negative comments. I follow the official page for Spartacus on facebook, and every time they post a picture of one of the gay characters, there are loads of comments saying "Eww, gay... The show would be much better without the gay stuff... Gross :sadface: Keep this fag sh!t off the show" there are even people clicking 'like' on those comments. They will suck up everything else that the show throws at them - bloody violence, sex and full frontal nudity and strong language, but show two men kissing each other and they freak out.

It seems that even when TV shows and commercials do depict homosexuals and interracial couples in a positive light, some people still don't bother to absorb the message they are putting across, they're just happy in their own ignorance. They don't realise that the world has been changing around them.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Hearing kids saying stuff like that makes me wonder how old the people are who make all those negative comments. I follow the official page for Spartacus on facebook, and every time they post a picture of one of the gay characters, there are loads of comments saying "Eww, gay... The show would be much better without the gay stuff... Gross :sadface: Keep this fag sh!t off the show" there are even people clicking 'like' on those comments. They will suck up everything else that the show throws at them - bloody violence, sex and full frontal nudity and strong language, but show two men kissing each other and they freak out.

It seems that even when TV shows and commercials do depict homosexuals and interracial couples in a positive light, some people still don't bother to absorb the message they are putting across, they're just happy in their own ignorance. They don't realise that the world has been changing around them.

Well if it's two hot men kissing, I don't see the problem.

Irish

Thane of Solitude
I never understood why two women making out on a show is seemingly more "socially acceptable" than two men doing the same. Hypocrisy never ceases to baffle me.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I never understood why two women making out on a show is seemingly more "socially acceptable" than two men doing the same. Hypocrisy never ceases to baffle me.

It's more accepted because two women kissing is the fantasy of a large portion of straight males. And male heterosexuality is largely considered the norm in our society.