Join or destroy the Dark Brotherhood?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

PrisonerLizzie

While we are talking about it, I killed them with my first character. With this new one the jury is still out. Haven't had to make a choice yet....not sure how the wife would feel about being married to a murderer but if you actually get the jarrin root it may be worth it. Does Astrid give it to you as per the wiki or is that info incorrect?

Sharduroga

The DarkBrotherhood Questline is pretty awesome. i don't see why you would want to destroy them considering the Empire is retarded. I killed the Dark brotherhood recruiter in Oblivion and i wished i hadn't really bad. The brotherhood is a great way to money and the questline is far better then the theives guild. IN my opinion the thieves guild wasn't as cool as teh oblivion theives guild. Killing mercer and uncovering the nightingale secret was still cool though.​

Dust651

Wizard
I destroyed them. Those crazy killers deserve to die. They call themselves assassins and still let an old man to kill them all.

Hacksaw

Note: I'm just asking what you did and why. I'm hoping to find some reasons other than 'more money,' maybe some that have a basis in Roleplay.

Anyway, my main character, Adarile, is a High Elf who formerly served the Thalmor. He was set to be executed for setting a prisoner he felt sympathetic for free, but he fled to Skyrim. His family live at Frostpeak, (a fictional village I created) which is in Skyrim, in the Reach.

He knows that he has racked up a fair amount of enemies, especially in the Thalmor and with the Forsworn. He wants to protect his family, and has been fearful of them being killed by the Dark Brotherhood for a while. Once he is confronted with the opportunity to destroy them, he does so, but only because he knows it's what needs to be done to protect those he cares about.

What about you?

With my first character I destroyed the dark brotherhood. He was an orc warrior, who I saw as something of a "good guy". But I regretted that decision. Why? Serving the dark brotherhood has a long and interesting quest line. Killing it has exactly one quest. One.

Shame on the developers for their laziness.

aussiegirlz

I honestly didn't want to join the DB - money is easy enough to earn and none of the perks were all that interesting but my son talked me into it. The quest line is a good one - but still did not feel comfortable killing people for what I felt was no reason. When it was all said and done I fell in love with Shadowmere so I have gone thru my other characters and joined just for the horse. I decided to my killings in werewolf form so it weighed a little less on my conscience.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...I'm hoping to find some reasons other than 'more money,' maybe some that have a basis in Roleplay...
More money is not only a basis in role playing joining the Dark Brotherhood, it's a fairly essential one. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the lore of the Dark Brotherhood, but it's a society of assassins that's run as a business to make money as opposed to being guided by political philosophy, religion or a sense of honor. This stands in stark contrast to the Morag Tong.
...What if one of those bandits is a man down on his luck who just needs to make enough gold to pay off his debts and feed his family? Is killing him while running through the forest in some way morally superior to killing by contract?
Yes it is. The former is an act of self-defense while the latter is simply murder for hire.
Most of the Dark Brotherhood's contracts are bad people anyway, people who deserve to die.
Either you have a very odd notion of what constitutes being a bad enough person to deserve being murdered or you simply haven't been keeping count of the number of relatively innocent people you've been killing for the Dark Brotherhood.

My character does it for power and money, which are basically the only things outside of the Five Tenets that the Dark Brotherhood values.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I've gone down both paths and I can honestly say killing them off is so lame. No grand reward. No great acknowledgement. Nothing. I went into the Sanctuary expecting a brawl and instead was meet with little to no resistance. Joining is by far better than destroying them, for me at least.

JClarke1953

The gold isn't that good, especially after you become the Listener. I think more gold can be acquired just doing job's like band it's, the Forsworn or the dungeon's. The "armor" you get, we'll, I sold it, and never bothered to try it on or use it. And after the "war" is more or less finished, and your assignment's come only from the Night Mother, they all start becoming the same thing. It got to be a bit boring getting the assignment from the Night Mother, then going to the NPC who your char gets the coin and the kill assignment from, then making the kill. And the kill's became gambler's who were dodging who they owed, a jilted soldier, or whatever, there was nothing ever new, or challenging.

The only benefit I saw after joining was when Astrid gave my char Shadowmere. After the destruction and move to Falkreath, well, it got monotonous.

And to get part of "Marked for Death" from the wall inside the Sanctuary, I just had my char make a wide berth around the other's as they listened to the Vampire "girl" tell of her latest kill. Got the Word, and blazed out. When I get my disc back, I'll decide on whether or not to join. The "war" is more or less over (Imperialists won), so it makes me wonder how the kill assignments will play out.

Ritterkreuz

I've gone down both paths and I can honestly say killing them off is so lame. No grand reward. No great acknowledgement. Nothing. I went into the Sanctuary expecting a brawl and instead was meet with little to no resistance. Joining is by far better than destroying them, for me at least.

I agree. Still I've run some "good" dragonborn that have destroyed them, but the less morally upright dragonborn that join them are more satisfying. It would be pretty cool if destroying them had as intricate a story line as being one of them did.

When being inducted into the Dark Brotherhood, I was overcome with an outstanding urge to kill all three.......So i did without even talking to them, It felt great. I even earned a few brownie points with Astrid.

FullmetalHeart20

For me, good or evil has nothing to do with it. Once they start sending assassins after me, they are directly below the Thalmor on my plops list. Just making that list results in an imminent and painful death. :mad:

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I roleplay my character is a bad guy who joins the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. But after a while she turns her live around and becomes a good person. She joins the Bards College and after that the Companions.. Everyone lived a happily ever after...

Terrible excuse to obtain Shadowmere :D

Smarty

It's easier to kill them by joining them, do the Dark Brotherhood main quest, you'll know what I mean...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts