Join a friend/Invite a friend

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

missingno

Article Writer
I would say Skyrim is the best game EVER if it allowed a friend to join your game or visa versa.

Fable 2 allowed you to do it, that world map was huge, thousands of quests.
Me and my friend had so much fun doing quests together and levelling up.

Why can't Skyrim have it?
Sucks. :sadface:

VolenKiller

The Idealist
I agree with you :sadface:

missingno

Article Writer
Because YOUR the hero.
Not YOU AND YOUR FRIEND are the heroes
But that's the same with Fable. It would be so easy for them to program it in too.
And if people don't want two Dragonborns, player2 could just be a generic 'follower' character or something.

But it would be more fun with 2 Dragonborns, you could show off your armor, weapons and magic to your friends.

They could create 'group' quests that you could do with your friends too.
Maybe in the next Elder Scroll.

Golgo_SPB

but who gets the dragon soul!

I feel like there should be a different mode for it, with different skills and such.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
I like the idea of sharing a world with one person. Tacking the game on the hardest difficulty with two people would be a lot of fun. It would not be hard at all to come up with a back story as to why it works, and to adjust some of the mechanics. Obviously some quests, like the first dark brotherhood quest, would not work.

I have said before how the dark souls/demon souls MP system could be very successful in this game. (perhaps without the PVP) You simply drop a rune on the ground that appears in the game world of another player. They activate it and you are transported to their world to help with a dungeon boss or tough area.

Skyrim could create some sort of shout that searches for helpers, or offers your help. Your player "Hears" the shout of another dragonborn from a time unknown who is near your physical location in their game world. By accepting, you whirl away through space and time to their dimension and offer up your help in combat as a spirit energy form like the sovngarde warriors, or lucien lachance with all your normal abilities. When it's time to go, another shout will bring you home and the hosting player can opt to banish you if you are not helping.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Okay, trying to control myself here....: [talking to self] "Train, don't let this get to you, you know how you get sometimes..."

[rant]

First, let me start by saying that if you want multiplayer...then play Fable, if Fable is too small of a game, then play WoW...but for the love of all that is good and wholesome, do not ever infect TES with multiplayer. Multiplayer is a disease, it's a contagious plague that destroys every game series it touches with a great and mighty vengeance. It spares none in its path and leaves its victims as a shell of its former self.

Let me list some of the casualties due to this evil known as multiplayer: Halo, Fable, CoD, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, A51, and even Far Cry (though it may be recovering, but it's the first that's been able to do so at all). These are just the most important ones, the ones that used to be best in their day, but now they're too weak to stand becuase of this crippling disorder.

[/rant]

Nuff said...

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
Multiplayer is a disease, it's a contagious plague that destroys every game series it touches with a great and mighty vengeance. It spares none in its path and leaves its victims as a shell of its former self.

Let me list some of the casualties due to this evil known as multiplayer: Halo, Fable, CoD, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, A51, and even Far Cry (though it may be recovering, but it's the first that's been able to do so at all). These are just the most important ones, the ones that used to be best in their day, but now they're too weak to stand becuase of this crippling disorder.

[/rant]

Nuff said...

Funny, because the thing that made most of those games popular was the multiplayer. Multiplayer pretty much drives the industry, like it or not. No games have "died" because of multiplayer. Games die because of budget, poor sales, and being unable to keep up with an ever changing market.

Multiplayer uplifted games like halo, cod, and rainbow six.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Multiplayer uplifted games like halo, cod, and rainbow six.

...:facepalm: Have you played Halo: Combat Evolved? The multiplayer was just something they threw in on the side, an afterthought, the game itself is not only the longest and well designed one in the series, it also has a really freakin' awesome story that made me play it over and over again, there's more replay value in Halo: CE than any FPS ever made. Every game after that focused more and more on multiplayer, and the campaign took massive damage from it. If they had just left the multiplayer as is and kept it as an afterthought, the series would have been increasingly better, but instead they pulled all their people off of creating a good game, and forced them to make multiplayer.

What happened to telling a good story? What happened to developing more advanced A.I.? What happened to making the campaign?

I honestly tried to like multiplayer because I realized that the world around me was changing and good games were extinct, so naturally I gave it a shot and played some things online...I even tricked myself into thinking I liked it. After a little while I realized that not only was it extremely boring, but that there was no equality. If I killed someone it wasn't because I was better than them or just happened to do something they didn't expect, it was because (a) my internet speed is faster, (b) they were distracted by something else other than the game at that moment or (c) I got the drop on them and they didn't have a chance to begin with. The same reasons applied for when someone killed me, and after a week or two of this I stopped playing. I want to win because I'm strong, and I want to lose because I'm weak, I do not ever want to do either of those things because of some happenstance. It's how I am, and I will never change.

The campaign in any game allows for one to properly win or lose due to their performance alone, no outside force affects it. Every game I play, before I even start, I go to the options and set the difficulty on the hardest available...if the game is unbalanced and doesn't allow for anyone (no matter how good) to play at that level, then I find a difficulty that is challenging enough for me, but still provides the possibility of, at some point, being victorious. I want story, I want gameplay, I want difficulty...I want campaign, nothing else matters. A developer that cheats and tries to sell their multiplayer instead of their game is a failure. Multiplayer didn't make Halo: CE good, the campaign did, and that's the only game out of the series that actually carried itself, and that's the only game out of the series that made the series become so popular in the first place...

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
To answer your question, yes I have played it. Many times. Legendary, all that stuff.

I too thought the story was great. I agree that the halo franchise took a dip (for me it was after halo 2). However, it was because the quality stayed the same, and they did not make any advancements while all the other shooters around them like COD stole a large part of the fanbase. This is not really the topic the thread is about, so I won't press further.

I never said multiplayer was perfect, but to say that it ruins the games that it accompanies is simply incorrect.

I'm sorry that you have such deep issues with something that millions of people have grown to enjoy. Your bias probably stops you from having as much fun as the next guy. If you think that good games are extinct then I have a feeling you are going to miss out on a lot of good times in the future.

ON TOPIC: I don't want a skyrim MMO, I don't want Skyrim PVP. A Simple Co-op experience that capitalizes on the potential that skyrim has as a social experience would be a welcome addition. It would not bother anyone that did not want it, and it would make the people happy who did. It's not going to happen anyway, so I'm not sure why everyone is so uptight about it.

Train

Is that all you got?!
No, I think that's very on topic, if we forget the mistakes of the past, then we open ourselves to repeat them; and discussing other games that have gone the multiplayer route is essential to the discussion. I won't address this further for now though.

If TES ever went multiplayer, whether that be online or strictly on the same console, then that would force a part of the team to focus on that aspect...which takes away from the main game just that much more. I truly hope that you're right in saying that it will never go multi, because the day it does is the day I drop it like a hot potato. "You hear me Bethesda? Are you listening Todd? Don't give in to this pressure, make a good game, not rubbish!"

As long as Todd Howard is in charge it will never be multi, he knows what's what and knows that it's folly to give in to such demands. He has to be careful about what he says, so he never goes out and tells people how much multi sucks and is not what TES is about, but I can read between the lines, and in his own words he basically said that. Todd actually shifted the discussion right after he was asked about multi possibilities, and he went on to talk about how the people working on the game are fans of the series themselves, and that means they'll never ruin it. Nuff said.

Question: Why do so many people want multiplayer in TES? You've ruined Fable, Halo and CoD; does there really need to be more bloodshed? Can't you guys just play multiplayer games and leave TES out of this?

Okay, trying to calm myself...take a deep breath...everything will be fine.

Question: Why do so many people want multiplayer in TES? You've ruined Fable, Halo and CoD; does there really need to be more bloodshed? Can't you guys just play multiplayer games and leave TES out of this?
I agree mostly with what you are saying about how multiplayer takes away from the game. I also agree that if Skyrim had a multiplayer, the game would be significantly changed. Probably for the worse.

Has anyone noticed COD campaigns after COD:WAW?. I think they got terrible after that game. They started focusing heavily on multiplayer after that. I myself, am tired of paying $50 a year to play Xbox Live, so I decided I'd start playing Star Wars The Old Republic instead.

More on topic... On the other hand i think it would be great to roam the lands of Skyrim with a pal. But that's just my opinion. Probably will never ever happen. TES is probably one of the most successful franchises that hasn't added multiplayer. A lot of games would have been fine without it. Mass Effect...

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
More on topic... On the other hand i think it would be great to roam the lands of Skyrim with a pal. But that's just my opinion. Probably will never ever happen. TES is probably one of the most successful franchises that hasn't added multiplayer. A lot of games would have been fine without it. Mass Effect...

I actually like the Mass effect multiplayer. It's fun. Not perfect, but fun. Bioware had separate teams for both aspects of the game. I think both turned out great.

It comes down to whether a company can weigh in the cost of extra skilled labor against the additional income that multiplayer will possibly bring with it.

Adding multiplayer is not synonymous with taking away anything else. Naturally companies are going to focus on what the fanbase wants. Bethesda knows that the fanbase wants the elder scrolls as it is. With the same charm and same open world awesomeness it has always had. They will not compromise their soul for a gimmick. If multiplayer ever comes, it will be done right.

Call of duty on the other hand, will readily drop everything for multiplayer. Do you know why? Because people don't want to shoot at AI all day. They want to shoot at people.

No, I think that's very on topic, if we forget the mistakes of the past, then we open ourselves to repeat them; and discussing other games that have gone the multiplayer route is essential to the discussion. I won't address this further for now though.

If TES ever went multiplayer, whether that be online or strictly on the same console, then that would force a part of the team to focus on that aspect...which takes away from the main game just that much more. I truly hope that you're right in saying that it will never go multi, because the day it does is the day I drop it like a hot potato. "You hear me Bethesda? Are you listening Todd? Don't give in to this pressure, make a good game, not rubbish!"

Okay, trying to calm myself...take a deep breath...everything will be fine.

You don't play any multiplayer games at all? You act like it is poison to every game it touches. I've never seen someone so bent out of shape about it.

Train

Is that all you got?!
You don't play any multiplayer games at all? You act like it is poison to every game it touches. I've never seen someone so bent out of shape about it.

Nope, I stopped playing multiplayer almost as soon as I started, haven't gone back, never will. I'll play a game that has multiplayer, just not the multiplayer part. ;) Yes, I am very adamant against it, multiplayer is the only thing about gaming that I can safely say I hate...and I do mean hate in the strongest sense of the word. Before I tried it, I didn't care one way or the other. Then when I saw how much effort was put into that I realized why the maingame sucked so bad; before I just thought the game sucked because the devs were getting lazy and riding off their previous sales, but now I see what happened.

A game doesn't need multiplayer to sell, and Skyrim is proof of that. If a great game is made, it will sell, regardless of multiplayer...I just wish developers wouldn't divert so much attention to it, that's why I don't like it. If they backed off a whole lot, I'd go back to not caring, but catering to those that spend all their time playing multi and leaving people like me feeling raped is so not cool...not cool at all.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
I can respect your outlook, I just feel as though it has limitations.

Different background, different opinion I suppose. I hope you can find something you like, because there are lots of good games out there your bias is making you miss out on.

Give Dark souls a try if you are into a challenging, holistic single player experience. Just play offline, lol. The cooperative aspect is great. PVP, not so much.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
If done Right I think a Co-op mode would be fun. At least for me and couple of buddies. Especially if you played together enough to build characters that complemented each other. Or just having a follower you could make a plan with instead of a pack mule that gets in your way would be nice. This is a conversation Iv had many times mostly in regards to fallout but close enough. I don't know if anyone on here has played Mercenaries 2 while it was defiantly a flawed game but the 2 person multi player was done pretty well. It was pretty much the same as single player but with more bad guys to contend with.