Jedi/Highlander hybrid build?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jRi0T68

Like many of you, I'm sure, as soon as I'm established with one character, an idea slowly starts building in the back of my mind for my next build.

This time, I'm called to a hybrid build, inspired but not based solely on, the Jedi and Highlander.

Preliminary idea:
Race: While it should be a Nord or Breton for appearance, I'm inclined on Altmer, as I've never done one.
Skills/Perks:
2-Handed: up to sweep
Illusion: the entire right half of the tree, and up to expert.
Speech: left up to investor plus bribery
Sneak: the left side up to shadow warrior

Enchanting/smithing/alchemy to make the necessary gear.

Where I'm lost, though, is I don't see the character using archery, bound or otherwise, or destruction, so before obtaining dragonrend, how the hell do I deal damage on dragons? I could rely on a follower, but I don't see using followers except as needed for quests, because there can be only one.

The overall concept is strictly greatsword and Illusion, honor above all else, still building out story and purpose. Definitely entirely good (something I've never done, lol!).

As for apparel, I'm thinking light armor boots/gauntlets heavily smithed, with robes, either hood or circlet.

Ideas?

Pijack

Well, I think a Bound Battleaxe is sorta Jedish? Also, you can use the shout to force dragons to land (I'm not sure if there is one like this. Pehaps I'm crazy). If you are on PC, you could also use a Mod that adds Lightsabers.

feliciano182

I..............don't understand your build, why sneak at all ? And Illusion ? With two-handed ? Wut ?!

jRi0T68

The shout is dragonrend, gotten at the tail end of the main quest, need to handle dragons before then. I thought about bound weapons, but it's more Jedi by principal and Highlander by physical (minus the race, but I may default to Nord/Breton).

The purpose of sneak is largely for silence and shadow warrior. Jedi's have a way of blending in.
Illusion is a similar concept. They use weapons as a last resort. I think calm/frenzy is quite fitting.
2 handed is for the greatsword. A regular sword doesn't seem fitting of either source of inspiration.

Yes, it's a weird hybrid I suppose, but no weirder than a strict and pure merchant. He (she? Haven't considered a female much) is an honorable warrior, largely a loner, who senses he has a gift and chooses to use it strictly to fight for the innocent.

Combat would consist of drawing sword when all else fails, using illusion and stealth to achieve goals whenever possible.

The part where I'm stuck really is handling dragons. I suppose using bound bow occasionally isn't out of character completely (blaster), but would be used strictly for before the dragon lands. Alternatives and ideas on other aspects are more than welcome.

jRi0T68

I'm almost convinced this will be my first female build. Just need to iron out the kinks and name her, but still looking for any suggestions around my archery/destruction limitation.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Hmmm, I mean...don't even bother considering Highlander, I don't think. You sound like you're chiefly going after the Jedi...starting to travel closer to Sith, though.

If you went Sith, you're pretty much right on target, I think. Otherwise, I would consider dropping the Sneak. However, you're on target with Illusion and Speech. If you go Sith you can definitely throw some Destruction with some Force Lightning. Also, I would think you could do one-handed sword with a spell in your left hand. Outfit wise just go for something black, hooded, and robe-ish.

If you want to keep to the Jedi route, drop Stealth and consider picking up some Restoration. Jedi have some good healing techniques using the Force. Maybe some Alteration since Jedi were able to shield themselves in the Force.

Really, just think of it this way: Sith use the Force offensively while the Jedi use it defensively. I hope I've helped some, but I would really like to hear what you end up going with and how it all works out.

jRi0T68

Well, I started Erissare tonight. :cool:

All help has been heavily weighed even if I ignored the suggestions. Weighing all points and opinions helps get a feel for who she is and what does/doesn't fit. Without some of the suggestions that I disagreed with, I wouldn't have as clear of a picture as I do.

The sneak is definitely part of blending in/going unnoticed, in addition to that I think she should have shadow warrior. There are certain aspects developing that feel like they have a shaolin influence, such as in the original Kung Fu tv show, such as Light Foot and Silent Roll.

I'm actually thinking against robes and using some nice looking clothes, along with light armor boots, gauntlets, and undetermined headgear. I'm going to keep her looking citizen. Are there any hats that look decent on women? I've seen one for men that is like a bandanna.

I have always preferred 2 handed, it feels more like a proper sword than 1 handed, which feels to me more like a large dagger/tsai.

Here is what I'm thinking for perks.
Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Combat will be strictly Illusion and 2-handed, except for staves used on dragons if needed.

Guilds:
College of Winterhold
Companions
Destroy Dark Brotherhood
I think she would side Imperials, as well.

Twiffle

Well JRiot68, ive looked at all the suggestions and your own idea of this build and of course your perk calculator, and i mean no offence, but i just dont get it, , 2 handed with magic, believe me that is gonna get you into trouble with more powerful enemies, and i dont know what the alchemy is for and why all the perks in sneak when with illusion you can be invisible ! , , I would love to be proved wrong, but i think 2 handed and magic will trip you up, OH and PS, if you wanted to do invisible you can make a potion from level1 without perks.
Good luck i would be very interested in your progress, im always open to learn myself so anything you can pass on to all of us i think will be helpful mate,

jRi0T68

No offense taken whatsoever. I expect it to be more difficult, which is part of the purpose... trying to passively handle enemies where I can and switch to sword when needed, avoiding direct conflict where possible.

1 handed swords just seem silly to me, having extensive martial arts training. I'm not fencing, after all. I've done assassin, dagger and bow. This is... different.

The light foot, silent roll, it's a perfect picture of her unusual methods of dungeon crawling. Sneak in, attempt frenzy to make things attack each other. Of course, when it gets too hectic, 2-handed only. Yes, this will be ridiculous, but fun.

There are many ways to make the build more efficient, more powerful, but I've been there. I've been running an Orc who can walk into nearly any fight and just keep swinging his hammer, though I also have him quite bi-polar with the use of destruction and a bound bow for fun. It gets too easy, even on master.

Alchemy is for poisons, improving gear, and a nice way to earn money.

I'll post updates once I've got basic skills where I need them and begin putting theory to practice.

Well JRiot68, ive looked at all the suggestions and your own idea of this build and of course your perk calculator, and i mean no offence, but i just dont get it, , 2 handed with magic, believe me that is gonna get you into trouble with more powerful enemies, and i dont know what the alchemy is for and why all the perks in sneak when with illusion you can be invisible ! , , I would love to be proved wrong, but i think 2 handed and magic will trip you up, OH and PS, if you wanted to do invisible you can make a potion from level1 without perks.
Good luck i would be very interested in your progress, im always open to learn myself so anything you can pass on to all of us i think will be helpful mate,
Well, Illusion is one of the few where you can pull it off, because most of those spells cause them to pause, sheathe, and re-draw their weapons, which gives you a chance to pull your greatsword, or whatever. Not having any ranged attack is what's deadly to me, especially for Dragons, which are immune to Illusion. You might want to add Restoration for Turn udead at least (And healing.)

What I don't get is how is this like Jedi, or Highlander? Ok, you have a sword. Am I missing something? Soul Trap for the Prize, that's about it. Why does that mean 2 handed? Lightsabers are used 1handed, so are some of the swords in Highlander. And finally, you can make High Elves look fairly humanoid if you round out their angular features (Minimize cheekbones, widen, and shorten the chin, pick a fairly round nose.) Cover up their ears with hair/helmet.

If you're using Mods, they have both Lightsabers, and Force Push availible. I think there's at least one that adds Jedi, and Sith to the exteriors.

Vaga8ond

I don't know how you are going to pull this off with alteration as someone suggested as it adds tremendous amounts of survivability to clothies. I would put points in Block as well since you can block with a two-hand. As you mentioned it would be very difficult to kill dragons without some ranged offensive ability. Interesting role play though.

jRi0T68

I'm going to abuse smithing to get gauntlets and boots up to the cap. I've spent a small amount of time with her, some grinding crafting skills, some in bandit caves. Combat is working well so far, but I refuse to even talk to Jarl Baalgruuf yet. I think having a character with only one area of combat skill is fairly realistic, at least for this one. Combat is like small duels, much more personal than how I normally play.

The Jedi/Highlander was inspiration. The sword use, soul trapping, speech, illusion all come from those two. I have no dedication strictly to any of their lore. The build has evolved beyond that. She's a sword wielding agent of good, uses manipulation, guile, and stealth before unsheathing her sword.

jRi0T68

So far, playing this build is s lot of fun.

I changed my mind and sided with the Stormcloaks, and have been freeing soldiers when found and then using Pacify to make the Imperials just accept it.

Most combat is either avoided, or I make them fight themselves and kill the survivor.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I think of Jedi everytime I use illusion haha.
Bandit: "Picked the wrong time to get lost friend!"
Cast my pacify
Me: "These are not the droids you're looking for"
Bandit: "These are not the droids I'm looking for"

jRi0T68

"Troll, you don't want to attack me."

It is making my 2 handed level up much slower. Lol

Even better is sneaking into a room where two mages are chatting and making them start fighting each other.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts