• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
haha... I expected a very serious debate here about racism. Sorry, I guess I just got used to the epic battles that take place in the lobby now and then. I don't know if someone ever saw the abortion or vegetarian thread (if you didn't, stay away from that place).

Anyway, to prevent you from giving me an off-topic pin I will answer your question. Since it is not your intention to offend anyone (you make a thread about it so I guess you take this serious) I don't see harm in it. Black is an adjective people use often to make something look evil, dangerous or mysterious (think about the black sacrament in the Dark Brotherhood questline). It doesn't have to refer to someone's skin color. And your redguard is not a living thing so it probably won't be offended. :)

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
i see nothing wrong with it, I live by a few simple codes, one of which is "call a spade by it's name, a spade", oh and the "N word" originaly used to describes some who was lacking knowledge, ignorant, or "res Tardo" which is latin for slow thought. I see nothing wrong with the name "blackmagic".

Sean

lost somewhere
I have a redguard wizard called Blackmagic.
It's only racist if you consider it racist.

It all depends on how (or where) the person was raised for them to decide on how the context of a word or phrase can impact them.

In this case, I would say no (still depends on what YOU think), because, as Anouck said, your redguard wizard is not alive, and will never be alive (hopefully).

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Black magic has traditionally referred to the use of supernatural powers for evil and selfish purposes. In modern times, some find that the definition of "black magic" has been convoluted by people who define practices that they disapprove of as "black magic"

Mjaydakid

Yes it is. The people are Ra'Gada, not red guard.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Stephen Daidalus

Funny, therefore the joke requires an understanding of issues underpining race, but I still think it's not racist.

In any case, your lady will approve if you bring her some of these...

will-work-for-food-black-magic-chocolates-and-L-qW_KtH.jpeg

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Lol. Only the most violently Politically Correct person would be offended, and ask you to make him "african american magic" ignoring the fact africa doesnt exist in TES. But can we keep this thread for the overbearing is this rascist thread?

Twiffle

Oh dear i might have strayed into the politically incorrect or racist mudbath with my latest character build, an Argonian female stealth mage , based her on comming from the deep south of the marshes so i called her Chews-tobacco-and-spits, is this racist against rednecks then, ,, ,,;):cowboy::D

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Oh dear i might have strayed into the politically incorrect or racist mudbath with my latest character build, an Argonian female stealth mage , based her on comming from the deep south of the marshes so i called her Chews-tobacco-and-spits, is this racist against rednecks then, ,, ,,;):cowboy::D

My back was wet when I tried to swim from Skyrim to Solstheim ... I guess I can be called “wet back” ... lol ... :sadface: .. :)

golso

Welp, some of your reasoning here is a bit dodgy (Lack of intent doesn't always stop things being racist) I agree
If you called him that in a derogatory way because he was a redguard ("Hur hur it's funny because he's black") that could be offensive, but I think if you wanted to call him that anyway and wanted to make him a redguard for reasons I reckon that's ok.

You can't be racist to an inanimate object. It's not racist because it can't be. If you walked up to a black guy in real life and said, "hey Black Magic, know where the nearest ATM is?" That's probably racist.because he's alive. And a human. Not a pixel. ;)

golso

You can't be racist to an inanimate object. It's not racist because it can't be. If you walked up to a black guy in real life and said, "hey Black Magic, know where the nearest ATM is?" That's probably racist.because he's alive. And a human. Not a pixel. ;)
That's not quite the point though. Behaving in a racist way, even towards a fictional character is offensive to the whole group of people you're discriminating against. It shows a lack of respect to the set of characteristics, not the individual person.
Being white, maybe I haven't got a full understanding of issue, but if someone is misogynistic to character (way too common) I also feel insulted.

Leedsy

I'm curious to why you ask, are you really bothered or just looking for an excuse to start a debate over racism?

I'm not trying to he rude but why does it matter what you call a character in a SP offline game that no-one apart from you would know about if you hadn't posted this thread?

Surely only you can answer the qustion anyway

ShangTsung

I'm curious to why you ask, are you really bothered or just looking for an excuse to start a debate over racism?

I'm not trying to he rude but why does it matter what you call a character in a SP offline game that no-one apart from you would know about if you hadn't posted this thread?

Surely only you can answer the qustion anyway
my point exactly, this thread seriously needs to die before things get ugly, it has "politically correct flame war" written all over it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts