• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

osheao

epic nord-

you can disagree all you want, but, it is fact that racism has nothing to do with whether or not someone has been offended. racism can offend, but, racism itself comes from within an individual. the words, actions, writings, etc. can't be racist.

in fact, even false beliefs someone may have can't be considered racist unless the motivation is understood. ie. young children.

HEFFAY

Ill Wil, I know what you are saying, but the races in Skyrim are fictional, some may resemble real life races, but its a fictitious fantasy game. He's bringing waking life racism to the table. No one in real life should get offended by how poorly the cat people, or elves are treated, But he's making a social critique based on life outside of Skyrim. I bet he shows his character to his friends so they'll laugh at Jamal: his over the top, stereotypical black guy... granted its a joke, and not offensive, its still racist.

Let me make this point. Your black and you make a black character because you can identify with your character and therefore fully immerse yourself into the role playing experience. If you made a character who was as white as can be named him Ronald Reagan and gave him a comb over for a hair cut. We both know that'd be a joke and you would have a hard time getting fully immersed into your character...

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
I think it qualifies more as stereotyping more than racism. Racism implies hatred, discrimination or feelings of superiority towards a particular race. I think the issue of racism is blown way out of proportion. Racism requires the intention of hate. Playful banter usually offends people who take themselves too seriously. People who mistake joking for hatred are normally an action of a person who is, themself, hateful.

It is your character. Name it whatever you want and make it look however you want. It is your avatar. Don't beat yourself up over something so petty.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Of coarse it's racist your white. I'm sure the ACLU would be willing to sue you on behalf of a mythical race.

Diisk

First off, if you have to ask if it's racist shows that you think it is on some level, therefore it is...
... However and more importantly there are different forms of racism ...

Racism stemmed from hatred, is an awful thing but is prevelant in our waking life every day in all parts of the world.

There is also a kind of racism that is drawn out of curiosity, acknowledging the differences and embracing those differences... Like when non-Irish people celebrate St. Patty's Day, or non-Mexicans celebrate Cinco de Mayo, or non-Christians celebrate Christmas...

I remember back when I was in college I went to school in Bangor, Maine and this redneck white kid from the backwoods of north Maine, saw some black kids and he honestly thought they were from Africa, he asked them "How's the hunting in Africa?", out of curiosity, because he thought they could walk behind their homes and hunt Zebra and Rhinos... But, The black guys were from Atlanta, Georgia. They almost came to blows until the Redneck kid explained that he wasn't looking for trouble and is an avid hunter and always wanted to go big game hunting in Africa. They became best friends once they realized it was all a misunderstanding... The three of us smoked a lot of blunts together after that, and they became room mates the following year.

But if you are white and you are making the most stereotypical black character you can think of, and are giving him a stereotypical name, then there is a level of racism there... Now if Jamal is common among Redguards in Hammerfell (I think that's where Redguards came from)... but again, if you have to ask, "Is this racist?" then the answer is yes...
buzz kill <.<

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
buzz kill <.<
I have to tell you, I'm a little annoyed with this post you made here. You're the one who brought the topic of racism up, which is a very touchy/heated subject. Yet when someone makes an intellectual post furthering discussion in an appropriate manner, you mock them.

Don't post if you don't want to actually discuss something.

Thats not rascist, whats rascist is how Redguards are supposed to be the fastest race according to the lore

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk