Is this a good comp for Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
By the way can i like your post or anything like that? I really appreicate the input from you guys :)

new here so i dont know all the buttons

MrSparkle

Then your gaming computer prospects are incredibly limited sorry to say :sadface:.

You could try and check out second hand computers. There's some pretty good deals on craigslist and the market is flooded.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Is that 26$ video card on the list on your site? I may be able to bump it up to that. Also, would i be able to put my old 512mb video card in with the new one in this comp?....
The $26 is the video card on that site. I also made a mistake when I said you could use the 6790 with the 6450 (sorry but I'm not that familiar with the specifics of Crossfire technology - I'm more of an Nvidia person). My friend just pointed out to me that you can't use them together for the same reason that you can't use your old video card together with the video cards for that computer. Crossfire technology is a technology that allows you to use multiple video cards to run an application, but they all have to be from the same series and the series for the video card is noted by the first two numbers of the video card, i.e. you can Crossfire an HD Radeon 6430 with a HD Radeon 6450, but you can't crossfire an HD Radeon 6450 and an HD Radeon 6790 because the second numbers don't match.

Kuurus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392

Check this out. It's on sale for $549. While the Radeon 6670 is not exactly a top end card, it's not bad. It should run Skyrim pretty well. The first review actually mentions Skyrim (although no details about the settings used). The card is ranked 85th on that list from Passmark I linked earlier, and it's value (rating per $) is very high.

Newegg is a fantastic site. I've never bought an actual PC from them, but I buy most of my parts there and put them together myself. Shipping is always fast, the RMA process for the rare occasion when I have received a dead of faulty component is easy and prices are generally good.

Always take a look at the reviews posted from people who have bought the item. There is some good information there sometimes - like in this case your 500 GB hard drive arrives with a fair amount of unallocated space. Easy fix, but good to know ahead of time if you're not computer savvy enough to have figured out why yourself.

p.s. - If you buy from Newegg, do not bother paying extra for fast processing or shipping. I have always received everything I buy from them earlier than the estimated delivery time. They generally get orders out the door within 24 hours whether you pay extra or not.

Kuurus

Just a tidbit about the video card in this machine - I found the following comment in a user review on the card itself:

"Pros: One of the best performing cards under $100. Plays Skyrim on high without AA @1920x1080, ~30fps outdoors 40-50 easily indoors and in dungeons."

Keep in mind that as I mentioned in my first post, you will be able to upgrade this card in the future as needed without having to buy a new system. I usually buy a new card about 6 months behind the latest technology when I need to upgrade. By doing so, I pay about 1/3 what the card cost when it was the newest and greatest thing just a few months prior and am still able to play all the latest games on the highest settings. The technology in the cards is always ahead of the games that are currently out.

Check this out. It's on sale for $549. While the Radeon 6670 is not exactly a top end card, it's not bad. It should run Skyrim pretty well. The first review actually mentions Skyrim (although no details about the settings used). The card is ranked 85th on that list from Passmark I linked earlier, and it's value (rating per $) is very high.

Newegg is a fantastic site. I've never bought an actual PC from them, but I buy most of my parts there and put them together myself. Shipping is always fast, the RMA process for the rare occasion when I have received a dead of faulty component is easy and prices are generally good.

Always take a look at the reviews posted from people who have bought the item. There is some good information there sometimes - like in this case your 500 GB hard drive arrives with a fair amount of unallocated space. Easy fix, but good to know ahead of time if you're not computer savvy enough to have figured out why yourself.

p.s. - If you buy from Newegg, do not bother paying extra for fast processing or shipping. I have always received everything I buy from them earlier than the estimated delivery time. They generally get orders out the door within 24 hours whether you pay extra or not.

Kuurus!

You may be on to something here. I've bookmarked the page and yeah, i really need the drop in price however small it is. Do you personally know how that video card would run skyrim? The shipping is cheaper then what i was thinking too. Looks like a good deal, reviews are good... hmm...

Edit: 30 fps outside and 40-50 inside is a massive bump for me. On lowww-low graphics i maybe hit 25 indoors.

Damn that computer Kuurus mentioned looks alot better on the inside too. Everythings nice and organized, would be easy to install new parts.

Hey Dagmar you still here? I could use your opinion on this :D

Edit: Well, i was looking at the computer Dagmar recommended and figured out it costs $75.00 in shipping. Newegg is looking pretty good right now, $20.00 shipping.

Dagmar

Not to pick on your choice, but for the benefit of Muncywolverine let's take a look at the mobo on that rig and the one I posted.

1. If you take a closer look at the specs on computer from the Newegg site, the motherboard has an Nvidia chipset, which, in my mind, still introduces the problem of having a mobo with integrated graphics (although the fact that it's not even mentioned explicitly makes me wonder if they stripped it out and reconfigured the BIOS). The Radeon HD 6670 videocard takes up the only PCI slot available for a video card which means, unlike the mobo that comes with the build I posted, you will never have the choice of using 2 discrete video cards or using them in tandem for one application via the Radeon HD Crossfire technology.

2. The mobo in the computer from the Newegg site only supports up to 1333mhz RAM speed. The mobo on the computer from the Cyerpowerpc site supports up to 1866mhz RAM speed and is made to handle overclocking of up to 2133mhz. While that's really not that important for the present, it is of some importance.

3. In terms of other features the mobo in the computer from the cyberpowerpc is superior in almost every conceivable way. It has more SATA connectors, more USB ports (I don't know if the mobo for the Newegg computer even has any USB 3.0 ports), and the BUS speed is significantly faster.

Most importantly, keep in mind that when we talk about desktops, one of the concerns is long term viability. That mobo from the computer at the Newegg site will become obsolete much sooner than the mobo for the computer from the Cyberpowerpc site and the mobo is the heart of any PC build.

The RAM on the the PC from the Cyberpowerpc is also better but more importantly for $36 more or a total of $591 to the $549 he can get the Radeon HD 6670 card making the choice better in every single way except for the $42 savings he gets if he buys the PC from Newegg. I would still stick with the build that I posted, even if his price limitations would dictate sticking with the inferior Radeo HD 6450 video card because it can always be upgraded later.

Wow, i didn't even notice that Kuurus's computer had a better video card. That might just seal the deal... Dagmar's computer also has $75.00 shipping from what i see, which makes is a lot more expensive then Kuurus.

Would Kuurus's computer be upgradable in any way? I don't know that i'd be getting two video cards, but maybe add a sound card or some ram or something.

Also, whats the difference between a USB 3.0 and a regular USB?

Edit: I've also got one of those cards you put in your computer that adds 4 USB ports, if that helps.

Kuurus

I don't disagree with any of your points Dagmar. I was simply offering an option I found that was as cheap as possible for him now, with a video card that would play Skyrim at decent settings. If he could upgrade the video card that cheaply on the system you posted, then by all means, I agree the motherboard in that system makes it an option that will have a longer shelf life as a viable gaming computer.

I don't disagree with any of your points Dagmar. I was simply offering an option I found that was as cheap as possible for him now, with a video card that would play Skyrim at decent settings. If he could upgrade the video card that cheaply on the system you posted, then by all means, I agree the motherboard in that system makes it an option that will have a longer shelf life as a viable gaming computer.

Problem is the $75.00 shipping :/

Dagmar

Well you have to live within your means. The other computer is still good for your needs and probably will be for several years as you upgrade it.

Well you have to live within your means. The other computer is still good for your needs and probably will be for several years as you upgrade it.

Actually i may be getting yours :D. I probably should have explained this, but im paying half of this and my parents are picking up the tab for the rest as a birthday thing. (as in this will be all i get, im 16)

Probably should have explained that a little sooner, but my "benefactors" said they will pay the extra money your recommendation costs because it will last longer.

Nothing is finalized quite yet, but i truly appreciate your and Kuurus's expertise in this descision. I was WAAAAY off when i started but this should be good. Thanks a bunch guys!

iLouis

Psst...I know who you are. Hail Sithis!
I also have a question about computers for you guys (I know nothing about computers). How do I know if I am getting an integrated graphics card? I plan to get a laptop tomorrow and I really need to know

I also have a question about computers for you guys (I know nothing about computers). How do I know if I am getting an integrated graphics card? I plan to get a laptop tomorrow and I really need to know

i know this one!

If you have a laptop it'll always be integrated. Laptops suck for gaming.

Dagmar

i know this one!

If you have a laptop it'll always be integrated. Laptops suck for gaming.
Wrong on both counts. Both laptops and desktops can have either an integrated chip set or a a discrete video card. If you're not sure you can post it here but most will be referred to as a chip set.

I've used laptops exclusively for over half a decade. My current laptop plays Skyrim on Ultra settings, everything maxed out, plus the Skyrim HD mod with a fluid stable frame rate ranging from 30-60 FPS.

MrSparkle

If you look at the specifications and it states Intel anything under graphics card, and under video memory is says "shared," you have an integrated graphics card that shares system memory. Dedicated video cards have their own ram but also consume more power; they are well worth it though ;).

Wrong on both counts. Both laptops and desktops can have either an integrated chip set or a a discrete video card. If you're not sure you can post it here but most will be referred to as a chip set.

I've used laptops exclusively for over half a decade. My current laptop plays Skyrim on Ultra settings, everything maxed out, plus the Skyrim HD mod with a fluid stable frame rate ranging from 30-60 FPS.

You told me to "avoid integrated graphics like the plauge" >.>.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts