Is the Wii U Dying Before its Begun?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jametayson

Right, first of all, this is not a Nintendo Bashing thread, I own a Wii U and its great, but with the recent news that Rayman Legends has gone multiplatform and Nintendo have lost exclusivity and activision openly slamming the console, is this a sign that third party developers are abandoning the console this early in its lifespan? We have the launch of two powerhouse consoles over the next 12-18 months which will almost certainly overshadow Nintendo's latest offering- I can definately see shades of the Dreamcast in the Wii U launch but what do you guys think, can Nintendo claw it back?

Godzillaman 08

No, I think Nintendo is on its last legs, at least on the console market. In my opinion they should stop making consoles, which will save some money, and start developing games on other hardware. Another thing, remember when the Wii came out and everyone was crazy about it, but when Wii U was released, no one cared. Kids want Xboxs and Playstations, not a Wii U. That's what I think.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
No, I think Nintendo is on its last legs, at least on the console market. In my opinion they should stop making consoles, which will save some money, and start developing games on other hardware. Another thing, remember when the Wii came out and everyone was crazy about it, but when Wii U was released, no one cared. Kids want Xboxs and Playstations, not a Wii U. That's what I think.

People thought Nintendo was out of the hardware business since the Gamecube. Please. Not saying Nintendo is perfect, but they have been in the business for almost 30 years. At least they try to bring new things to the industry, whereas Sony and Microsoft rehash the same plops.

I think out of the current big three, Microsoft has the most to worry about this upcoming generation. The most negative rumors have been surrounding their latest console. If they fluffk it up, they are done. Let's not forget the utter failure that was the Xbox 360 with the RROD. I know a lot of gamers that haven't forgotten about that. Probably never will.

Honestly, I think Nintendo has more up their sleeve. They are already planning the successor to the 3DS. I feel like the Wii U is only an alternative to the Wii, kind of like the 3DS XL is one to the regular 3DS. I feel like Nintendo has another console in the works that they are being completely hush hush about.

dragontology

Nintendo and Apple are both in hot water. Just like people are starting to realize that the iPhone is a fancily dressed-up feature phone, people are also starting to realize the Wii U is just a slightly upgraded Wii, which was a slightly upgraded GameCube. They want more for their money, and they have every right to.

Nintendo is actually my favorite of the consoles, but I haven't liked anything they've done since the Super NES, except the Game Boy Advance SP. They have lost their way. They used to make games that were fun. Then they started relying on badly implemented gimmicks. With the Nintendo 64 it was 3D. It was bad then and it hasn't aged well (Super NES games still look great). GameCube was more of the same, only they figured out discs held more space and they didn't have to use such ugly compressed textures. The rest pretty much speaks for itself.

I don't know what I'd do if I were in charge of Nintendo. Probably ask the entire board to resign. They have been running the company into the ground. Their strength is in fun games, not gimmicks and not hardcore gaming. They need to stop making consoles for a while. They should make a smartphone, in fact. They should partner with Google to make a gaming smartphone, with a clip-on controller and some kind of subscription plan to buy or rent games from NES/Super NES and GBA. (DS and N64 and later emulation is not really ready for prime-time, even on the latest smartphones.) And make new games in those franchises in those styles. That's one idea. Another, is to make games for smartphones and even feature phones (at least Apple's, since they can handle some games, and they're popular).

Godzillaman 08

People thought Nintendo was out of the hardware business since the Gamecube. Please. Not saying Nintendo is perfect, but they have been in the business for almost 30 years. At least they try to bring new things to the industry, whereas Sony and Microsoft rehash the same pl***.

I think out of the current big three, Microsoft has the most to worry about this upcoming generation. The most negative rumors have been surrounding their latest console. If they fluffk it up, they are done. Let's not forget the utter failure that was the Xbox 360 with the RROD. I know a lot of gamers that haven't forgotten about that. Probably never will.

Honestly, I think Nintendo has more up their sleeve. They are already planning the successor to the 3DS. I feel like the Wii U is only an alternative to the Wii, kind of like the 3DS XL is one to the regular 3DS. I feel like Nintendo has another console in the works that they are being completely hush hush about.

And Nintendo does not rehash Mario and Zelda games over and over...?

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
And Nintendo does not rehash Mario and Zelda games over and over...?

Why not? They still sell don't they? I do feel something new needs to be brought to the table as far as LoZ is concerned, but Mario is a household name. They can get away with the same basic games for him. Everyone knows who Mario is. And you merely mentioned video game characters/series. Nintendo has brought to the table gaming with a stylus pen, motion control, and 3D gaming. What has Sony and Microsoft done? Besides copy the motion control aspect from Nintendo?

I do give points to Microsoft to take it one step further and try to do gaming with no controller, but the Kinect isn't doing so hot.

Bottom line is, people hate on Nintendo because they are the oldest game in town (pun intended). They want them to fail, they expect them too. I however, while I feel they've made some plops decisions in the past, I do not want them to stop making consoles. I enjoy seeing what all three of the big boys bring to the table. If any of them were to drop out of the console business, there would only be two left. I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy competition.

Godzillaman 08

I don't hate Nintendo, who can? I have just not been a big fan of Nintendo's recent games.

In my opinion their last amazing game was Super Mario Galaxy.

I don't hate Nintendo by any means, I actually deliver to their Redmond, WA offices everyday. But I just don't see what else they have to offer that isn't already being done better. They've never been able to win on the graphical front, so they went with the motion sensor gaming style. But with Microsoft and Sony not only being graphically dominant, they're now being dominant on the motion front with the Kinect and Move (but they have their issues too). I don't see what else they can do to stay a float.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I don't hate Nintendo by any means, I actually deliver to their Redmond, WA offices everyday. But I just don't see what else they have to offer that isn't already being done better. They've never been able to win on the graphical front, so they went with the motion sensor gaming style. But with Microsoft and Sony not only being graphically dominant, they're now being dominant on the motion front with the Kinect and Move (but they have their issues too). I don't see what else they can do to stay a float.

Well Nintendo made the first 3D handheld, well two 3D handhelds if you want to count the Virtual Boy, but that thing sucked. Then there was the original DS that offered gameplay that could be controlled through a stylus pen. And of course the Wii brought forth motion control.

From what I've seen, Nintendo is the only even TRYING to bring something new to gaming. The only thing Sony and Microsoft has done is turned people into graphic whores. Instead of caring about the gameplay, story, and characters, people only care about how GOOD the game looks. Actually, I'd say Microsoft is the biggest offender in that regard. Their first party titles are very lackluster.

Well, I don't consider Nintendo in the realm of making great gameplay, stories or characters either is the thing. All three companies are guilty of that lately. But you are right about the graphics race. It doesn't always have to be about the graphics. I've been playing Defiance on 360 for the past couple weeks and it by no means has great graphics but the gameplay is fun and that makes the game for me.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Well, I don't consider Nintendo in the realm of making great gameplay, stories or characters either is the thing. All three companies are guilty of that lately. But you are right about the graphics race. It doesn't always have to be about the graphics. I've been playing Defiance on 360 for the past couple weeks and it by no means has great graphics but the gameplay is fun and that makes the game for me.

I disagree. Nintendo has improved by leaps and bounds with Pokemon. The gameplay was still the same old, however the storyline was vastly better and so were the characters. Now, Nintendo is finally bringing Pokemon to the 3DS.

Haru

Would not be a bit surprised. I'm probably in the minority here, but I have never, EVER been excited about a console. I don't even have a favorite one. For me, it's all about the games. When a new console comes out, all I can do is groan and think sadly to myself how much money I'll have to blow if I want to play the awesome games that will be on it. I completely agree with dragontology about Nintendo relying on bad gimmicks. They need to move away from making consoles and go back to just making awesome games. Let's try and take a look at an old game that doesn't need a bunch of expensive fancy crap to be cool... how about Earthbound? Does it have fancy graphics? Nope. Does it have online multiplayer? Nope. Does it have motion controls? Nope. Is it still just as awesome if not more so than the day it came out? Heck yeah. While the Wii U may not be the final nail in the coffin, I think that if Nintendo continues to keep going the way they have been, they are definitely going down.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
By comparison, the WiiU is a fail compared to the Wii in terms of sales and Nintendo should consider backing out of the hardware side of games. While it is a unique idea, its from revolutionary and half-baked ideas coupled with little focus is the downfall of the Wii and the WiiU and I'm not surprised. Nintendo seems to be fading out of view. Stick with handhelds is the advice I would give them.

Personally, I haven't liked anything Nintendo has done since the N64 days, games included. It would mean absolutely nothing if I never seen Mario ever again.

Sony and Microsoft will continue to dominate the console wars, imo, and I'm not keen to listening to all the rumors about the new Xbox console. While the always-online prerequisite kind of sounds like something Microsoft would do, its clearly suicide from a business stand-point as people who just play SP games are a decent share of the market. I know Microsoft is smarter than that when it comes to making money.

I'm not for consoles, but honestly I'm more excited to see what Steam has in store with their alleged "SteamBox", even though I have no plans of getting that either. I barely gave the WiiU a glance when I first saw it and I gave even less to the original Wii. If I had to choose which console to get, I'd probably go with Sony.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I think Nintendo needs to make a game that will increase sales of the Wii U. Maybe another Smash Bros?

They announced last year they are in the works of making a Smash Bros game for the Wii U and 3DS. And it will have cross system online. Kinda like some games on the PS3 and Vita can play online together.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts