Is the rumored DLC Redguard old news? Or a joke?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Catwoman

Notorious Cat Burglar

Aniratak

So weird.. There are alot of stuff about it that seems legit. It's like the rumors that started about Dragonborn and Dawnguard before they were announced.. The rumors have been around for two months at least! Weird.. Then I don't know what to think

Catwoman

Notorious Cat Burglar
Well I only just heard yesterday about it and found out it was an April Fools day joke a few minutes after. If you want instant news on Skyrim just type ''Skyrim'' In Google News and so much will come up.

Aniratak

I'm guessing it's a rumor with some hold in it. The next DLC gotta take place somewhere right? I've been reading a lot of different storys now.. It seems more and more likely. They will make another DLC for sure, and they can't wait forever can they? And the last DLC they went East. With this one they can go north (witch leads to next to nothing), they can go south (which seems highly unlikely since that would mean remake of Cyrodiil) and they can go west to either Hammerfell or High Rock. The last option is far more likely then the others. They can ofcourse travel east again, but that leads to the rest of Morrowind. I don't think thats likely.

Two Bears

It's more likely Bethesda renewing it's trademark for the previously released title Elder Scroll Adventures: Redguard. I wouldn't get too excited.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The author of that article is incredibly ignorant, misinformed and gullible and the editorial staff for the site reaches a new low in standards for journalism. The Redguard hoax was exposed several days before the article was even published. :rolleyes:

The fact that the author speaks as if the name of the DLC is conclusively Redguard only makes him or her look like an idiot. Other authors of speculative articles about the next DLC being called Redguard were at least guarded and cautious and didn't refer to the remote possibility as if it were fact.

Here's the actual truth about the Redguard trademark filing based on facts and actual knowledge of how the trademark registration process works with the United States Patent and Trademark Office rather than the ignorant, poorly researched and wildly speculative writing of psuedo internet journalists that have been perpetuating the myth of a Redguard DLC for Skyrim:

The Redguard trademark application has nothing to do with any DLC for Skyrim. It was originally filed in 2007. Zenimax Media, Inc., Bethesda's parent company, originally was granted a trademark registration for the Elder Scrolls stand-alone game Redguard in 2000. You can't maintain a trademark unless you're actually distributing/selling the associated product, i.e. the trademarked product has to be used in commerce. For the Redguard trademark a declaration of continued use would have to have been filed sometime in 2006 or the USPTO would cancel it shortly thereafter. Bethesda wasn't using the trademarked product in 2006. It could have delayed the cancellation by attempting to file a declaration of excusable non-use but those are rarely accepted so, not surprisingly, the mark was cancelled by the USPTO in 2007.

In 2007 Zenimax reapplied for the trademark registration and added an additional class of use (IC 041 Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line interactive computer games and providing information relating to electronic computer games via the internet) so its use by distribution through the internet would also be a protected use. But....remember that pesky use in commerce requirement? You can file a trademark application without it in what's commonly referred to as an intent to use application, but you have to follow up with evidence of the actual use in commerce afterwards or the application will eventually be deemed abandoned. An applicant has 30 months to file that evidence by using up all its extensions which is what Zenimax did by 2011, after which it had to abandon the application because it still hadn't reintroduced Redguard into the stream of commerce.

So in 2011 after it had to abandon the 2007 trademark application, Zenimax submitted the exact same application again 8 months before Skyrim was even released. It's been filing extensions ever since.

Anything is possible regarding the content of the next DLC but the Redguard trademark application has nothing to do with it.

Aniratak

The author of that article is incredibly ignorant, misinformed and gullible and the editorial staff for the site reaches a new low in standards for journalism. The Redguard hoax was exposed several days before the article was even published. :rolleyes:

The fact that the author speaks as if the name of the DLC is conclusively Redguard only makes him or her look like an idiot. Other authors of speculative articles about the next DLC being called Redguard were at least guarded and cautious and didn't refer to the remote possibility as if it were fact.

Here's the actual truth about the Redguard trademark filing based on facts and actual knowledge of how the trademark registration process works with the United States Patent and Trademark Office rather than the ignorant, poorly researched and wildly speculative writing of psuedo internet journalists that have been perpetuating the myth of a Redguard DLC for Skyrim:

The Redguard trademark application has nothing to do with any DLC for Skyrim. It was originally filed in 2007. Zenimax Media, Inc., Bethesda's parent company, originally was granted a trademark registration for the Elder Scrolls stand-alone game Redguard in 2000. You can't maintain a trademark unless you're actually distributing/selling the associated product, i.e. the trademarked product has to be used in commerce. For the Redguard trademark a declaration of continued use would have to have been filed sometime in 2006 or the USPTO would cancel it shortly thereafter. Bethesda wasn't using the trademarked product in 2006. It could have delayed the cancellation by attempting to file a declaration of excusable non-use but those are rarely accepted so, not surprisingly, the mark was cancelled by the USPTO in 2007.

In 2007 Zenimax reapplied for the trademark registration and added an additional class of use (IC 041 Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line interactive computer games and providing information relating to electronic computer games via the internet) so its use by distribution through the internet would also be a protected use. But....remember that pesky use in commerce requirement? You can file a trademark application without it in what's commonly referred to as an intent to use application, but you have to follow up with evidence of the actual use in commerce afterwards or the application will eventually be deemed abandoned. An applicant has 30 months to file that evidence by using up all its extensions which is what Zenimax did by 2011, after which it had to abandon the application because it still hadn't reintroduced Redguard into the stream of commerce.

So in 2011 after it had to abandon the 2007 trademark application, Zenimax submitted the exact same application again 8 months before Skyrim was even released. It's been filing extensions ever since.

Anything is possible regarding the content of the next DLC but the Redguard trademark application has nothing to do with it.
Thanks for clearing that out for me. =) I think that settles the fact that there are alot of evidence against the renewing of the trademark has anything to do with the name of the next DLC.

But let's forget about trademarks and stupit articles for a while.. The next DLC (if there will be any) will have to take place somewhere.. And if it is outside the map like with Dragonborn and (slightly) Dawnguard, what would you think will be the most likely place? As I wrote further up, I see going West as the most likely option.. Not south into Cyrodiil as that would mean remaking of well known territory from Oblivion. North is not possible... Not unless they are making a whole new game. Thats outside of Tamriel.. East would leave to Morrowind, and we have already travelled that way in the Dragonborn DLC. So if thats out of the question, there is only one direction left: West. I think it would be wise to go for something completely different in the next DLC. The introduction of a DLC is to give the player something new. So it is definetly not unlikely that going west would happen.. I see it more likely. But then again, I could be wrong.

And one more thing: Don't they renew trademarks all the time? How come this spesific one gets all the fuss? Could there be that there are some other rumors of Redguard circulating? Not that it's going to be called Redguard ofcourse..

But then again.. This is just speculations..

Red5

Just a note: I haven't been playing much as of late, but I have noticed in Whiterun everytime I enter there are two Redguards just inside the gate. They just stand there, not offering me much in the way of dialogue, but they weren't there a while back... Did they come in with an update, or did I just quest my current character differently? If it's the former...

iTz BlaKe B

Just a note: I haven't been playing much as of late, but I have noticed in Whiterun everytime I enter there are two Redguards just inside the gate. They just stand there, not offering me much in the way of dialogue, but they weren't there a while back... Did they come in with an update, or did I just quest my current character differently? If it's the former...

Pretty sure they have something to do with the Redguard Woman Quest, I completed it and killed every Alik'r I saw just the other day but these two guys still hang around like they're looking for the woman that I've already rescued. I tried waiting to see if they ever left town and they didn't as far as I could tell. I want a way to kill them without turning Whiterun into a zoo.

iTz BlaKe B

Saadia I think her name is. Maybe I didn't completely accept the Quest reward yet from her or something I'll check when I get on Skyrim.

Red5

Well my first play through I turned her over, and never saw these guys. This play through I killed Kamatu and everyone in the cave, and now these guys are hanging around. Makes sense... they just have me on edge, like they are just waiting for the right moment to do something.

Dagmar

It's a bug. It's triggered if you kill Kematu when he is in Swindler's Den. If you want to avoid this and still want to help Saadia and kill Kematu just agree to lead Saadia to him and kill him before he can paralyze her when you arrive at the stables. Saadia will still give you her reward.

Dagmar

..And if it is outside the map like with Dragonborn and (slightly) Dawnguard, what would you think will be the most likely place? As I wrote further up, I see going West as the most likely option.. Not south into Cyrodiil as that would mean remaking of well known territory from Oblivion. North is not possible... Not unless they are making a whole new game. Thats outside of Tamriel.. East would leave to Morrowind, and we have already travelled that way in the Dragonborn DLC...
Solstheim isn't part of Morrowind and, as an island, technically speaking it's not part of the continent of Tamriel. I suppose it's possible the next DLC could add territory to the west as only part of High Rock and Hammerfell were included in Daggerfall but there's no mandate that DLC has to add territories outside of Skyrim.
And one more thing: Don't they renew trademarks all the time?
You can't renew a trademark registration if you're no longer using it in commerce and Bethesda hasn't sold or otherwise distributed the game for years.

Darth Brogan

Sith Lord
If there will be another major DLC, and the pattern with the previous two continues, it'll come out some time in June this year. It took a little over 6 months to get the first DLC, then 6 more to Dragonborn, then possibly 6 more to the next one. Might just be a coincidence though

Aniratak

Solstheim isn't part of Morrowind and, as an island, technically speaking it's not part of the continent of Tamriel. I suppose it's possible the next DLC could add territory to the west as only part of High Rock and Hammerfell were included in Daggerfall but there's no mandate that DLC has to add territories outside of Skyrim.

I think it is likely that they will include some new territory at this state with the game being over 1,5 years old and most players have explored every corner of the land.. Maybe it won't be as big as Dragonborn, but something new. Unless they are making somthing Heartfire-ish. I am of course speculating.. All I was trying to say was that even though the whole case around the Redguard DLC is just people making a fuss about nothing, I think it would be foolish to claim that a DLC going in that direction would never happen. Most likely a new DLC will happen, and it has to be about something! And now we've played out alot of scenes in the north-east part of the map. Thats why I think it is likely they will go in a different direction. A change would be good to keep up the interest. I've looked at alot of articles, and I see people commenting and being directly upset (and sometimes angry and rude) at he authors of the article. Why on earth are people that angry at rumors about a new DLC? The internet is full of weird stuff people write. It's not like someone's feelings are being hurt.. And they can always do the whole "I told you so" when the DLC is announced if they want to. Anyone presenting a rumor know that at some state you will find out whether it is true or not. I know that what I am speculating about here at some point will perhaps be proven wrong. That is ok, I'm on a skyrim-break right now and I am really looking forward to possible DLC and think it's fun to imagine what sort of things and places they will add :Dragonborn:

You can't renew a trademark registration if you're no longer using it in commerce and Bethesda hasn't sold or otherwise distributed the game for years.

Then why do you think they renewed it if they can't do that unless they are going to use it? The Dawnguard, Heartfire and Dragonborn rumors all turned out to be true. By this I am not trying to state anything, I'm just plain curious. You seem to know alot about this :)

Dagmar

Then why do you think they renewed it if they can't do that unless they are going to use it?
To protect the mark from infringement by others. For various reasons having the application active makes it easier to establish ownership of the trademark if the owner ever has to take action against a trademark infringement. It only costs Zenimax a few thousand dollars total to keep the application active or refile one once its been abandoned.
The Dawnguard, Heartfire and Dragonborn rumors all turned out to be true.
They trademark applications for these were not for previously registered trademarks associated with already released product and they were filed after Skyrim was released and a few months prior to announcement of the release of the DLC. They're not even remotely analogous to the Redguard trademark application situation. It's not even like comparing apples and oranges. It's like comparing apples with a moo cow.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts