• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Solomander

I have only done a little bit of smithing and have been reluctant to spend perk points to improve smithing skills. Is it worth doing? Can you get better or unique stuff by doing smithing as opposed to collecting and buying armor and weapons as you go along?

J

Cyren

It is very worth it... You can make daedric armour and weapons and these are amazing. This is my second play through and I am spending everything on smithing and enchanting.

Anything you smith will be better than random loot, so smithing is worth it. It is very possible to make yourself extremely overpowered using smithing, but I don't recommend it. I think that just ruins the fun of the game. I think smithing in general, if abused, can take away a lot of fun value. But it is definitely helpful :D

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
Um.........yes. I started crafting leather bracers like there was no tomorrow, and *BOOM* maxed out smithing at level 9.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
It is very possible to make yourself extremely overpowered using smithing, but I don't recommend it.

Agreed. I've never bothered with Daedric weapons or Dragon armor, because it makes the game far too easy.

That being said, smithing is definitely worth investing in, if only to improve unique weapons and armor... which is what I mostly use it for. Two of my current games will be utilizing unique armor—Stormcloak and Stormcloak Officer armor for my Nord, Wolf armor for my Redguard. Even though the former doesn't require any perks, and the latter requires only one, I'll be building my smithing skill as I play so that I'll be eventually able to improve their armor to legendary, so they can stand a chance in late-game battle.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Smithing is worth it, but I'm doing a play through with no smithing, and I must say it's the best character I've had so far. I don't feel too underpowered, if anything I'm equal to the enemies I fight. It finally feels realistic, finding armor and weapons is extremely rewarding rather than sitting there crafting whatever you want.

MELENKO

oh its worth it because of this here are my characters stats magicka 219018 health 328396 stamina 109742 magicka regenerates 218684%faster health regenerates 164013%faster stamina regenerates 54671%faster carrying capacity 46357 weapon damage 933 witch really is 9332128 everything dies 1 hit armor rating 64975552
my character is like this because of the oghma infinium glitch witch u have to start a new character and get your lvl to 15 on your own then do the quest were u get the oghma infinium book then by a house then read up on the oghma infinium glitch after that go to this website A Guide to the Best Weapons and Armor (Includes "God" Armor) - Xbox360Achievements.org and read on how to have god armor and weapons so with stats like me u can never die stamina never gos down magicka never gos down health never gos down and u can kill anything with 1 hit so do this and have fun btw i did all of this on the ps3

oh its worth it because of this here are my characters stats magicka 219018 health 328396 stamina 109742 magicka regenerates 218684%faster health regenerates 164013%faster stamina regenerates 54671%faster carrying capacity 46357 weapon damage 933 witch really is 9332128 everything dies 1 hit armor rating 64975552
my character is like this because of the oghma infinium glitch witch u have to start a new character and get your lvl to 15 on your own then do the quest were u get the oghma infinium book then by a house then read up on the oghma infinium glitch after that go to this website A Guide to the Best Weapons and Armor (Includes "God" Armor) - Xbox360Achievements.org and read on how to have god armor and weapons so with stats like me u can never die stamina never gos down magicka never gos down health never gos down and u can kill anything with 1 hit so do this and have fun btw i did all of this on the ps3
^^
Face-Palm.jpg

Halkin

pzzzztt
i'm only allowing myself to smith and enchant the gear I and my follower actually use but have stopped at ebony perks for smith and the magic one for enchanting. so no mad selling or levelling sprees

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
You dont need to do the ohgma infinium glitch for this. Just do the restoration potion glitch and you can do anything you want to in the game. I dont recomedn this as you just blow through everything and don't experience your rise to power through this method. it can be fun for a moment or two but only for a moment or two.

What’s the point?

Train

Is that all you got?!

Tell me, is there ever a moment in Skyrim that you enjoy? o_O Oh, and you can basically have the same effect by putting the difficulty on Novice, no need to go through all that. ;)

Necromis

heck, if he is on the PC he can just go god or tim and be the same, too. Like said, what is the point.

Back on topic, smithing can be great, but is not necessary, so RP it out, if your character would smith then by all means smith if not, then dont worry about it.

Arrow-Free Knee

i'm still on my first character and i smithed to 100% by crafting leather stuff from hides i collected on quests or just roaming the wild and iron items. After a while i felt cheap doing it like that and vowed my next playthrough i will still smith, because i enjoy it, but i will also enchant at the same time to slow the level rate.

Morgan

I love smithing and I have a couple run-throughs with maxed out gear. However, I whole-heartedly agree that it can be extremely fun to play it through a bit differently. I am playing a scavenger/miscreant type at the moment, who just grabs gear that looks like it might be better than what he currently has. Slaving away at a smelter or grindstone would be too much like work, and if he wanted a dayjob, why become an adventurer? Current gear is Orcish armor (untempered), Helmet of the Old Gods, Steel Plate Bracers of Archery, Hide Boots of Extreme Stamina, and Elven Shield of Waning Magic. I couldn't temper most of it even if I wanted to, because I haven't spent perks or gotten smithing high enough to improve magic stuff. I just successfully fought two hagravens and a briarheart at the Bard's Leap summit word wall, and having untempered, unmatched gear didn't seem to be too much of a handicap.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Increasing your smithing skill is definitely worth it, because increases the value of all worn armor and levels you up, like any skill. But that doesn't mean you have to go crazy buying all of the smithing perks. Many of the better armors in the game are not so much better that it really makes a difference. I got my smith skill to 100 but only purchased steel smithing and arcane blacksmith. The difference between flawless armor and legendary is not that much, so unless you want special armor that you can't find laying around (daedric and dragon armors) it's not worth buying all the perks.

MoulinRouge

You dont need to do the ohgma infinium glitch for this. Just do the restoration potion glitch and you can do anything you want to in the game. I dont recomedn this as you just blow through everything and don't experience your rise to power through this method. it can be fun for a moment or two but only for a moment or two.
I thought they patched that glitch?
What's the point of all that? I never understood why people would want to 1 hit everything. And having an armor rating passed the cap would be pointless.

In my opinion, the only thing I found to be worth it on that smithing tree was arcane blacksmith. At high levels I pretty much found a lot of ebony and daedric weapons and armor.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Oh yeah it's worth it. I've smithed Dragon and Daedric armor and both have saved my butt big time. I can withstand a Fire Dragon as a vampire during the day with either set of armor w/out enchanting them with fire resistance. Both sets are very powerful and aesthetically beautiful, especially Daedric armor. Spend some time smithing , you won't regret it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts