PC Is Riften the best city to unload your crap from quests?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Basically I'm settling down in a big city while I level up smithing, enchanting, and alchemy, as well as speech as a side effect.

I stole all the dwemer scrap metal in Markarth and came back by Carriage to Riften. I'm playing on Legendary so I can't go exploring really until I smith my Daedric armor (eventually I'll upgrade to light weight dragonscale armor).

Riften has a blacksmith, a fence, 2 to 3 stands with plenty of gold to buy my enchanted dwarven bows. A trader, a mage, and an alchemy shop. With the stands having an unusual amount of gold (BTW I have Trade and Barter mod if that makes a difference) It would appear that for now Riften is my home until I can get the enchanted endgame gear from lvl 100 Smithing, Enchanting and Alchemy, then a trip back to Markarth or a local Dwemer ruin to get some Falmer helmets for Alchemy.

The stands in the other cities tend to be completely broke and sell cheap stuff like food. Even Brand-Shei has a decent amount of gold some of the time which is why I think Riften is the best.

The only thing its missing is a smelter for me to meltdown ore into ingots for Smithing. I may make a trip to Kolskegger mine for gold ore for ingots to level up smithing.

As a base of operations before you go exploring Skyrim and selling off your potions and enchanted weapons while you level up, is Riften the best city?

I also do thieves guilds jobs in Riften and rack up trophies in my trophy case while I wait for merchants to restock which is also another plus if you're trying for acquiring all the Thieves Guild trophies.

BG5150

Whiterun. Right next door to Breezeholme is blacksmith with smelter, too.

With fast travel, though, setting up shop in any city is trivial, as you can hearth back at any time (to borrow a World of Warcraft phrase).

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Personally I like Whiterun as a base, especially after I build Heljarchen Hall. I find it more central, plus there's a fence at the meadery. Admittedly, there's no enchanter at Breezehome early game, but I just like it's location for adventuring and find, in my game, that there are more dragons about and many more opportunities for mining.

Fast Travel feels like an exploit. I've quit using it pretty much, and I have the Frost fall mod to make crossing the Tundra challenging and deadly.

Whiterun has 2 blacksmiths with 3 merchants serving them, a hunters shop, an Alchemy shop, a trader shop, and a mage.

With the three stands that have more gold than every other city that has merchants with a stand, plus a fence, I'm still inclined to give it to Riften.

*SPOILER BELOW*
I haven't unlocked Honningbrew Meadery's fence as I don't have my endgame armor and weapons to fight off Hamelyn yet.

*ANOTHER SPOILER FOR PEOPLE NEW TO THE GAME IN THIS SENTENCE*
Although investing in the Riverwood trader with his 10,000 gold, if you include that you have a point.

I may head back to White run and invest in the River wood trader once I sell off all my stolen crap to Thonila. I haven't triggered the main quest yet where you fight the dragons because my player is such a wimp on legendary without decent armor and weapons. I also have Deadly Combat mod and Deadly Dragons so my Character dies REALLY Easily when he takes a hit.

*SPOILER BELOW*
Also the Blessing of Mara in Riften that you get as a permanent passive bonus, is a definite worthwhile quest in Riften.

Daelon DuLac

ote="BG5150, post: 697121, member: 38121"]Whiterun. Right next door to Breezeholme is blacksmith with smelter, too.

With fast travel, though, setting up shop in any city is trivial, as you can hearth back at any time (to borrow a World of Warcraft phrase).
Yea
Whiterun. Right next door to Breezeholme is blacksmith with smelter, too.

Fast Travel feels like an exploit. I've quit using it pretty much, and I have the Frost fall mod to make crossing the Tundra and deadly.

White run has 2 blacksmiths with 3 merchants serving them, a hunters shop, an Alchemy shop, a trader shop, and a mage.

With the three stands that have more gold than every other city that has merchants with a stand, plus a fence, I'm still inclined to give it to Riften.

I haven't unlocked Honningbrew Meadery's fence as I don't have my endgame armor yet.

Although investing in the Riverwood trader with his 10,000 gold,if you include that you have a point.

I may head back to White run and invest in the River wood trader once I sell off all my stolen crap to Thanilia. I haven't triggered the main quest yet where you fight the dragons because my player is such a wimp on legendary without decent armor and weapons. I also have Deadly Combat mod and Deadly Dragons so my Character dies REALLY Easily when he takes a hit.

[/quote]
I agree, but I personally and I know a number of other forum members as well, do not use Fast Travel except in the direst of circumstances so it's really rather moot.

I'm gonna have to get to Calcelmo to do the Book of Love Quest, I think I will stop off in White Run. My only problem is making it past Valkhir Towers or whatever it's called. Its right by the road and a single arrow kills me, and you can't even really sneak past it with a Bandit manning the Cooking Spit.

I got Faendal for now to draw some attention away from me, I had Vigilance the War Dog, but somehow he got lost while I was downloading from the Steam Cloud.

One major problem with Whiterun for early game characters with difficulty mods and playing on Legendary, is thats the city where you trigger the dragons. If I go back to Whiterun I'm hoping I have to do the Golden Claw quest FIRST before I trigger the dragons as I haven't done it yet. Irileth insta spots me whenever I go into Dragon's Reach.

I'll have to see if simply having her spot me and forcing me to talk to the Jarl still triggers the dragons at the Western Watch Tower. If it does I'll load up an old save and keep hanging out at Riften for now.

Daelon DuLac

One major problem with Whiterun for early game characters with difficulty mods and playing on Legendary, is thats the city where you trigger the dragons. If I go back to Whiterun I'm hoping I have to do the Golden Claw quest FIRST before I trigger the dragons as I haven't done it yet. Irileth insta spots me whenever I go into Dragon's Reach.
I do that almost every time. I just make sure not to talk to the store owner and then just go up to bleak falls and get both the claw and the stone. I usually end up walking around with them for a while.

I can see that, on legendary, the constant dragon attacks would get on your nerves. Since I rarely play above adept when fighting dragons, it's not an issue for me and I can usually bag 1/2 a dozen each time I visit (I luvs me my scales & bones!).

I do that almost every time. I just make sure not to talk to the store owner and then just go up to bleak falls and get both the claw and the stone. I usually end up walking around with them for a while.

I can see that, on legendary, the constant dragon attacks would get on your nerves. Since I rarely play above adept when fighting dragons, it's not an issue for me and I can usually bag 1/2 a dozen each time I visit (I luvs me my scales & bones!).

I play on legendary plus have deadly dragons and deadly combat (Deadly combat just about halves your armor defense bonus so you have to use perks to hit the cap at all).

I started a whole new Character, just due to the trouble I was having with dragons on legendary, and I had a lvl 67 Nord. I finally decided Breton was the way to go due to magic resistance covering all the magic attacks from dragons, where Nord was only good for ice attacks.

When you're level 67 and getting killed by a Sun Dragon in under a minute despite having a beefed up Lydia as your follower, something in your game plan needs to change. Mine was to focus on passive/permanent magic resistance that the Breton has this build than try to have an enchant for every possible attack I might face.

Daelon DuLac

I play on legendary plus have deadly dragons and deadly combat (Deadly combat just about halves your armor defense bonus so you have to use perks to hit the cap at all).

I started a whole new Character, just due to the trouble I was having with dragons on legendary, and I had a lvl 67 Nord. I finally decided Breton was the way to go due to magic resistance covering all the magic attacks from dragons, where Nord was only good for ice attacks.

When you're level 67 and getting killed by a Sun Dragon in under a minute despite having a beefed up Lydia as your follower, something in your game plan needs to change. Mine was to focus on passive/permanent magic resistance that the Breton has this build than try to have an enchant for every possible attack I might face.
Sheesh. I'm a coward. You have my admiration dude!

BG5150

I have enough problems playing on regular difficulty to mess with legendary.

I may have to buy the game (instead of using the copy I got on Pirate Bay) so I can get the DLC.

MadHatter

Guy with a cool hat.

Sheesh. I'm a coward. You have my admiration dude!

Mine too...Sheesh... I'll stick with apprentice difficulty...lol

Lucid

I like Solitude for unloading my crap. It is missing a smelter but there is an apparel store, general goods, alchemist, fence, fletcher, smith, and Mage. Add in the Kajiiti outside and the Quartermaster at the Stormclock camp down the road and you shouldn't have any problems turning your hoard into coin.

Lucid

*ANOTHER SPOILER FOR PEOPLE NEW TO THE GAME IN THIS SENTENCE*
Although investing in the Riverwood trader with his 10,000 gold, if you include that you have a point.

I lost the 10K+ at the Riverwood Trader with a patch a long time ago. Man I miss that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts