Is master really that much better?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
I've started like 15 characters on the easiest setting, because i like being able to dominate everything :D and gotten to level 40-50 on three of them. My problem is i keep finding myself getting bored... between all my characters ive done everything there is to do at least once.

So my question is, does playing on master really make the game that much more enjoyable?

opinions please :)

Oren74

Best part of Skyrim is, you can play how you want to. Easy setting, for my tastes, would be just downright boring. Perks, equipment, levelling just means nothing because you can kill everything with such ease. But, if you're enjoying it (seems like you are) than master may not be fun for you.

For me, I'm one step below master

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
But that's the thing, i LOVED it at first just adventuring and kicking everything's ass. But most of the characters ive made have only got to lvl 5-10 because im not finding it as enjoyable. Quite boring actually. It's no fun because i know exactly how to do everything, and i just do it. I could sleep through all the main questlines. So do you think a challenge would help this? I don't really plan on shelfing Skyrim till TES VI. Or at least not untill Fallout 4.

RangerChad

Easy= Bandit Leader will be destroyed, Master = Bandit Leader may one shot you (depending on build of course)

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
I decided to try Master after slowly building my way up from Easy when the game first came out. Even with all that practice, I wasn't prepared to actually have a challenge. I was one-hitted several times, and if not that, just beaten down into the ground.
Now that I've gotten used to it, I kind of got stuck on this level as the lower settings now seem boring.

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
Could anyone suggest a good build for a beginner on master? Im thinking sword and board Imperial, heavy armor, and archery. Anything else that would be necessary to not get destroyed?

Ned

Nerevarine
I never played it on novice or apprentice, but after getting up there in level and learning to utilize crafting professions, I pretty much had to raise the difficulty to Master to even feel like I was in danger.

Oren74

Could anyone suggest a good build for a beginner on master? Im thinking sword and board Imperial, heavy armor, and archery. Anything else that would be necessary to not get destroyed?

Always have a good tank, high tank follower...and restoration so you can retreat and heal. don't just rely on Lydia. Have to keep upgrading your follower.

50%+ resistance on frost, shock, and fire ASAP. Shield with perk that gives a bonus to element resisance ASAP. 1H Dam should always be your highest level skill. Imperial racial bonuses suck by the way. Craft weapons and armor, with enchantments often. Continously upgrade equipment.

At the end of the day, it's not that hard really. I play one level lower than master, and don't craft...and it's still incredibly easy. I'd go master, but getting killed instantly by mages just isn't fun to me.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Good followers help when playing on harder settings but the important thing is to keep your skill points and levels focused into mainly one area. If you don't do this you will get destroyed. Thats a garentee.

Ned

Nerevarine
I never used a follower unless forced by a quest. But I'm also an MMO guy, so I instinctively invested a lot of time early on into crafting, and made sure my weapons and armor were always as powerful as possible while leveling.

I found out early that I needed to enchant my gear with resistances and constantly improve my weapons and armor through smithing. A good armor rating paired with solid magic and element resistances does wonders early on.

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
Always have a good tank, high tank follower...and restoration so you can retreat and heal. don't just rely on Lydia. Have to keep upgrading your follower.

50%+ resistance on frost, shock, and fire ASAP. Shield with perk that gives a bonus to element resisance ASAP. 1H Dam should always be your highest level skill. Imperial racial bonuses suck by the way. Craft weapons and armor, with enchantments often. Continously upgrade equipment.

At the end of the day, it's not that hard really. I play one level lower than master, and don't craft...and it's still incredibly easy. I'd go master, but getting killed instantly by mages just isn't fun to me.

I know the Imperial racials suck, but i thought of a really cool RP for an imperial... lol

Halkin

pzzzztt
i think the game needs a harder mode. this isnt idle bravado, on easy its just stupid and on master its just hard, it needs more oomph

xaraan

I usually start on apprentice (the second level) and as I level up I knock it up to adept and then later to one under master. It keeps things interesting combatwise without getting crazy.

Personally I don't need to tank through everything, but I get really irritated with games where cheesy cannon fodder bad guys level up as powerful as the main character... it makes advancement mean nothing. I like to destroy basic bandits and whatever crap that should be easy for a powerful hero once he is getting experienced, but be challenged by main badguys, dragons, etc. I usually find that once you start adding on enchantments and stuff to weapons and armor that it might get a bit too easy sometimes. So you may just want to crank it up a notch as you level up.

I also usually need to focus on more than combat in these games. Like exploring and collecting as it gives me other goals than just leveling up or beating the main quest.

Zippinboltz

Lol, I find this game hard on apprentice. Maybe because all I do is sneak open handed and try to take over houses by sucker punching residents and then reanimate them to thralls... I play Conquer-rim... f3

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I just walk around picking flowers all day. It's a real challenge...

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
It all depends on your play style, I guess. I started on the default difficulty (adept?), then moved up to expert at around level 15 as the game continued to get progressively easier, and finally to master at level 25 or thereabouts. Eventually even master started to offer less challenges than it should, so I downloaded a difficulty increasing mod so I now do 0.4 x damage and my enemies do triple damage. It's fun and moderately challenging but not yet frustrating. I can still kill most melee enemies in 1-3 swings apart from bosses, absorb lots of punishment before going down and generally survive most fights with my dignity intact (i.e. not having to run from enemies etc). Some magic users give me grief, chiefly shock mages as I have no such resistances, but that just adds nicely to the challenge and keeps me on my toes! I would definitely recommend expert or master difficulty if you feel the game has become a cake walk.

I'm playing a heavy armored 2-handed axe wielding Nord btw, a pure warrior with all 3 crafting skills (haven't abused the alchemy-smithing-enchanting loop, though) and some sneaking thrown in the mix. No magic, apart from shouts.

Gyllenhall

i used to play adept but then i started a new character on master... i havent leveled smithing or enchanting and dont feel i will need too, i use nightingale armour, the razor and a bound bow with illusion magic and sneak.. i feel OP even on master.

the only thing i hate is the stupid level scaling on master, why are dragons so easy to kill compared to a master conjurer, this conjurer had like 2000hp (not even joking) and 1 shot me and dragons had less hp and couldnt do much damage.

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
Okay so i started a new toon last night on master (went with the imperial, cause i couldn't resist the rp i thought up, as it's the only one i've ever been able to fully formulate that makes sense to lore) and it's not so bad.. if i'm only facing one enemy, and it's not a higher lvl named (restless draugur or bandit outlaw for example). Am i going to get to a point where i can take on more than one baddie at a time, or will i always have to lure one away, kill, repeat?

Also, i'm wearing imperial heavy armor for the rp. Will standard smithing/enchanting allow me to improve this enough, or would you suggest the alchemy loop to get it to the same (or near) the stats of legendary daedric? Do you guys max your damage resistance to the 567 (i think that's what it is, never done it) or just upgrade as much as you can without the loop?

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Okay so i started a new toon last night on master (went with the imperial, cause i couldn't resist the rp i thought up, as it's the only one i've ever been able to fully formulate that makes sense to lore) and it's not so bad.. if i'm only facing one enemy, and it's not a higher lvl named (restless draugur or bandit outlaw for example). Am i going to get to a point where i can take on more than one baddie at a time, or will i always have to lure one away, kill, repeat?

Also, i'm wearing imperial heavy armor for the rp. Will standard smithing/enchanting allow me to improve this enough, or would you suggest the alchemy loop to get it to the same (or near) the stats of legendary daedric? Do you guys max your damage resistance to the 567 (i think that's what it is, never done it) or just upgrade as much as you can without the loop?

Ouch, I can imagine starting the game on master might be pretty brutal for the first 15-20 levels or so! :eek: But rest assured, you WILL get to a point where you'll start to dominate your foes, at least if you make halfway decent leveling choices.

You should be able to hit the armor cap with your imperial heavy armor. I'm wearing ordinary steel armor, smithed and enchanted (in an honest fashion, no exploiting the loop) and I'm easily over the armor cap even without a shield. Of course my smithing is at 100 and I was using a set of smithing gear + a smithing potion bought from an alchemist, but that is still honest in my book and not at all comparable to abusing the game-breaking loop.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts