• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

zombiejunkie

Or is the lack of Gladiator's arena such a downer when playing Skyrim? Inform me the reason why there is no arena like event in Skyrim if you know the answer. Also is there a petition or some type of voting going on to request that it gets put in that I can partake in? I would love you experience this event in Skyrim, anyone else feel the same?

Adam Warlock

Until they get a mod , with a little effort you can approximate arena duels using the Dead Thrall conjuration spell. See my thread "Dead Thralls : Living with the dead " for how

Train

Is that all you got?!
I think Bethesda put the Arena in Oblivion just because they wanted an arena. Their first game was just supposed to be an arena, hence the name Arena, but through development became so much more, giving birth to the Elder Scrolls as we know it today. Oblivion's Arena was cool, but once they did it, they probably didn't feel right about doing it again, that was in Cyrodiil, and now we're in Skyrim. Since Cyrodiil was somewhat modeled after Roman lifestyle with a TES twist, the addition of gladiator games fit perfectly. In Skyrim, Nords don't fight like that, so instead of gladiator games, there's a freakin' war. I'm almost 100% positive that the war is replacing the arena (to some extent), plus it's adding to story etc.

This is Skyrim, that was Oblivion. Now they might make a DLC with an arena in it, but it makes sense that it wasn't in the game to begin with. Yes, it's cool, and I'd like to experience what an arena would be like in Skyrim (Xbox 360), but I'm not surprised that its not in there, didn't expect it to be.

Hope that helps. :)

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I agree with Train, that in the normal context of Skyrim's culture, a gladiatorial arena may not fit. However, why couldn't there have been an underground arena?

Something along the lines of a tournament hosted by a Daedric Prince? Or some vile Wizard guarding a Word Wall... perhaps he has you battle wave upon wave of increasingly difficult Draugr?

The closest we have to an Arena is the final scene of Sheogarath's / Pelagius' Mind of Madness quest with those Storm Atronachs and such... that could have been expanded upon.

Old Pappy

Well as you can tell more and more go missing every single TES. You should see just the NPC rate starting in Arena and then to Skyrim. I think Arena had 10,000 NPC's (That had names) , ad Kkyrim only 800(that had names). Skyrim almost feels empty, and when you are in the moment, it's annoying when the game freezes RIGHT THEN or you have to go through a 30 second loading screen. Skyrim has so much no man's land.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
I think Bethesda put the Arena in Oblivion just because they wanted an arena. Their first game was just supposed to be an arena, hence the name Arena, but through development became so much more, giving birth to the Elder Scrolls as we know it today. Oblivion's Arena was cool, but once they did it, they probably didn't feel right about doing it again, that was in Cyrodiil, and now we're in Skyrim. Since Cyrodiil was somewhat modeled after Roman lifestyle with a TES twist, the addition of gladiator games fit perfectly. In Skyrim, Nords don't fight like that, so instead of gladiator games, there's a freakin' war. I'm almost 100% positive that the war is replacing the arena (to some extent), plus it's adding to story etc.

This is Skyrim, that was Oblivion. Now they might make a DLC with an arena in it, but it makes sense that it wasn't in the game to begin with. Yes, it's cool, and I'd like to experience what an arena would be like in Skyrim (Xbox 360), but I'm not surprised that its not in there, didn't expect it to be.

Hope that helps. :)

My take:- basically the Imperials are Romans. They look like Romans, they dress like Romans, they act in an ignorant/supercilious manner as Romans. Hence, they have an Arena.

Skyrim is in (sorta) Germania/ Norvege.

They don't bother with such. They don't NEED an Arena to prove how tough they are. Most female Nord goatherds could embarass an Imperial Gladiator. Such is life (or C'est La ...stop stabbing me Nord Women);)

Train

Is that all you got?!
Well as you can tell more and more go missing every single TES. You should see just the NPC rate starting in Arena and then to Skyrim. I think Arena had 10,000 NPC's (That had names) , ad Kkyrim only 800(that had names). Skyrim almost feels empty, and when you are in the moment, it's annoying when the game freezes RIGHT THEN or you have to go through a 30 second loading screen. Skyrim has so much no man's land.

Right, but I played Daggerfall, and while I enjoyed the size and all, it seemed even more empty, not only because there weren't NPC's between cities, but also because NPC's were just plain boring. I get that the really hardcore TES fans (don't get me wrong, I'm a hardcore TES fan myself) like the earlier games more, it's just that there wasn't much going on at all. They were cool, there was story, but ultimately it doesn't make a very interactive world.

So there's less NPC's...okay, well, one of the NPC's that are there make up for a thousand of ones that aren't. :p

(I started with Morrowind and went back to play Daggerfall, just so you know ;) )

Old Pappy

Right, but I played Daggerfall, and while I enjoyed the size and all, it seemed even more empty, not only because there weren't NPC's between cities, but also because NPC's were just plain boring. I get that the really hardcore TES fans (don't get me wrong, I'm a hardcore TES fan myself) like the earlier games more, it's just that there wasn't much going on at all. They were cool, there was story, but ultimately it doesn't make a very interactive world.

So there's less NPC's...okay, well, one of the NPC's that are there make up for a thousand of ones that aren't. :p

(I started with Morrowind and went back to play Daggerfall, just so you know ;) )
Are you kidding me? You must not have played them at all. Well I actually I cannot speak for daggerfall and arena, but for morrowind. Morrowind had lots of interesting things in it, and lots of things going on. And it TOOK AWHILE, not just a couple days straight, to complete the main questline. So many people are struggling to find new things to do, because there it was so short.

Train

Is that all you got?!
I played Morrowind for two years straight, believe me, I know almost everything there is to know about it. I do admit that it had a lot of interesting stuff, but I couldn't even play it anymore after Oblivion came out. Maybe I was just tired of it, or I was fooling myself into believing it was better (even though I only played TES IV for a year total) but I can honestly, and without reservation, declare Skyrim to be the best TES to date...you may now pelt me with small pebbles...

Yes, the main game is short, and it wasn't necessarily long in Morrowind either, difficult, especially with no fast travel, but like Drewski said in another thread, I do not use fast travel. If you don't ever use fast travel, then you'll find that Skyrim is bigger than Morrowind...don't believe me, then try running all the way from Solitude to Riften...then you'll believe. ;)

Okay, so it takes ten hours to beat Morrowind from start to finish and only two and a half for Skyrim, but there's an extra twenty in Skyrim's dungeons, side quests, miscellaneous quests, and random encounters. In such a well developed world that caters directly to the character in play, Skyrim will stand undefeated.

I challenge you to play Morrowind for a month without even thinking about the beauty that is Skyrim...do you accept?

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
I played Morrowind for two years straight, believe me, I know almost everything there is to know about it. I do admit that it had a lot of interesting stuff, but I couldn't even play it anymore after Oblivion came out. Maybe I was just tired of it, or I was fooling myself into believing it was better (even though I only played TES IV for a year total) but I can honestly, and without reservation, declare Skyrim to be the best TES to date...you may now pelt me with small pebbles...

Yes, the main game is short, and it wasn't necessarily long in Morrowind either, difficult, especially with no fast travel, but like Drewski said in another thread, I do not use fast travel. If you don't ever use fast travel, then you'll find that Skyrim is bigger than Morrowind...don't believe me, then try running all the way from Solitude to Riften...then you'll believe. ;)

Okay, so it takes ten hours to beat Morrowind from start to finish and only two and a half for Skyrim, but there's an extra twenty in Skyrim's dungeons, side quests, miscellaneous quests, and random encounters. In such a well developed world that caters directly to the character in play, Skyrim will stand undefeated.

I challenge you to play Morrowind for a month without even thinking about the beauty that is Skyrim...do you accept?
Firstly, Train I have to stop liking you posts its getting Narcasistic (however u spell that).

Secondly re Morrowind, My best College pal (the only one I still regularly talk with; lets call him Dave basically because hes called Dave) hates Oblivion and Skyrim. Partly because hes Dave and hates change, partly because I taught him to code, and thus he runs Linux and its a chore to make anyting newer than Morrowind run, but mostly because Oblivion and Skyrim are Arcade RPG's.

Yes they are, you're skills never fail, you always make the potion you wanted etc. Someone told Todd, that it wasnt fun to fail on the former, and hence it disapperaed. And we have a two edged sword. Dave says Morrowind is (Sheffield speak for the dainty) `a piece of piss`. He still likes it, but doesnt like the idea of Oblivion and Skyrim (but I'll force him to come around). In Morrowind, you can become so freakin hard so fast, that no one else's feet will touch the ground (well until they're dead).

Even though Obl, and Sky are more arcadey I love them more too. Yes there is actual RL combat skill (be quiet Dungeon Master Dave), and its great. Its not a pain at all (tell Dave this), it's a pleasure. So we have the normal swings and off licenses. Drink your drink and have fun killin monsters (hold on?)..

Anyways mark #2, Morrowind offered everything, but by doing so, made superhumans easy to achieve. Obl and SKyrim have real time combat and possibly less to do, but they generally keep you honest.

What a freakin ramble....jeez thats what 12 hrs of Skyrim and strong beer for the same time do to you.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Firstly, Train I have to stop liking you posts its getting Narcasistic (however u spell that).

What a freakin ramble....jeez thats what 12 hrs of Skyrim and strong beer for the same time do to you.

I think you've had one too many beers there, Drewski. Also, I'm not so sure you know what narcissistic means exactly.

I'd like to address what you posted, but frankly, even after reading it twice, I'm not sure what your point is. I'm also concerned that this has gotten way off topic, though I'm fairly sure the O.P. has an answer so this discussion may be the only thing keeping the thread alive anyway.

From what I can gather, you feel that the system of swinging one's sword a thousand times and hitting nothing is better than the satisfactory system of hitting something...now I'm really confused...no, you don't want to fail at doing something, you want to be told whether you can or can't do it. Do, or do not, there is no try. :p As for TES IV and V being more arcade style...let's just say I've never played an arcade that lets you do everything those games do. I had fun playing Morrowind, but after you've done just about everything there is to do in a game a hundred times...you're through with it, and want to move on. You don't want to move on to something that's basically the same though, that's boring; I embrace change, but some people fear it and choose to live in the past (thus the problem with many things that go wrong in today's world, actually).

I say, to those that have an issue with any game and complain about what they like and don't like, let's see your game. Yep, you heard me, devs take all this crap about this or that, I hear a lot of it, and in my mind I picture a bunch of twelve year olds with nothing better to do than complain about something...:facepalm:..."what? Did daddy not spank you enough?" lol. If you don't like it don't play it, but before you can be allowed to complain, let's see the game you made that's better. A simple rule, and I live by it every day; I take the good with the bad and shut my trap - of course, that doesn't stop anyone from complaining about what I do. After you've been on the recieving end of enough non-constructive criticism, you find it very difficult to bash anyone elses work pointlessly. Criticism is great don't get me wrong, but saying something like "someone told Todd that it wasn't fun to fail" is pointless; I could write a book about how very wrong that statement is (not picking on you, but this is just an example). No one has any idea about how long it took, how many painstaking, sleepless nights, how many pots of coffee it took to decide to even change the weapons system at all...and that was the easy part, then they had to figure out what the new one would be.

Okay, that's really long, and I gots to get back to work...time for more coffee. :coffee:

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Just so you guys Know (and I think I've posted this somewhere else before) That EVERY Major City in the TES Lore had an Arena. In the games you don't see them all but they are suppose to be there.

So the whole "Cyrodill is based on Roman there for it's the only place with Arena's" is kind of false unless you mean that the developers are just leaving them out not to confuse the players. In the Lore and "World of TES", they are there.

As for Arena's in Skyrim? (posted this previously too)

There "IS" an Arena in Skyrim, but it's not put in the game as playable.

If Any of you have the "Creation Kit" try looking up "Arena"

You will find a interior Kit to put together a "Full Fledged Arena" in Windhelm. (Seriously, I am not trolling you lol) It's pretty neat looking. It looks like it was to be part of an "Interior" but have an Outside look to it. I also assume that it might have been something that would have been connected to Palace because of it's looks... BUT ALSO because I found that the Interior titled as "Windhelm Barracks" actually still has the Cell ID as "Windlembloodworks". If any of you guys played Oblivion, you know what the "Blood Works" were.

I also see:
Scripts for Arena NPC's like Opponents and Spectators.
Arean Factions!: Something called the "Blue Palace Faction" "Pacify Faction" and " Self Loathing Faction" (Could have somthing to do with Arena Prisoners or something)
Quests to fight in Battles with Diffrent Numbers fo Opponents as well as groups of Caged Monsters ranging from groups of Skeevers to Giants.
A "Complete Wager" system it seems so you can bet on other fights.
and Numerous other stuff like "Combat Wave Animations" "Crowd Sounds" and other stuff showing that once had a fleshed out plan to make it.

I never understood why these were there when I saw them. I wondered if it was a "Scraped" Idea or if it was something they might pick up again a the future DLC. I was thinking about maybe putting the Arena interior together in a Mod and taking Screen shots for people. However I am NO WHERE good enough at this stuff to make a full Mod out of it.

Old Pappy

I have a level 54 nord that i purposefully made for no fast travel reasons, and i use him to live off the rescorces he find. And you're right there are a lot more side quests, but the guilds actually had a base storyline that took you awhile, not just one hour to complete. Not to mention, people get their Character around lvl 60 then move on to another. People on morrowind find new things to do when they are over level 100. Not the players that use cheats, i mean the legit players. And like i said, Skyrim is a bunch of no man's land. in morrowind you run into a bunch of little towns. Also, not to mention, there's twice if not 3x as many factions you can join in morrowind than in skyrim. and the loading screen, took 5 seconds.

Or is the lack of Gladiator's arena such a downer when playing Skyrim?
The lack of the playable Arena in Skyrim is a downer, but there is plenty of other things to do. I don't know if there was an Arena in TES IV (started playing it when I was 12 or 13 and didn't get too far but it was still a great game), but the Arena in TES V was a cool feature. I was hoping that there would be one in Skyrim, but eh. whatever

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts