Spoiler Is Bethesda pro vampire?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FullmetalHeart20

I'll admit upfront that I've never played Morrowind. However, I know Oblivion had a benign vampire running an entire city who only desired to be mortal. I thought, "Cool. They're being all creative and not making them bland monsters".
And then Skyrim blew that out of the water.
During the College quest, a group of vampire prisoners will fight their captors for you and leave you in peace, likely out of decency or thanks. Then the Jarl of Solitude has a vampire for a steward, and it's implied to be known among the higher ups. Serana is perfectly affable, and only makes a veiled threat towards Isran, who was being an ass to her anyway. And her mother Valerica not only loves her, but calls the Dawnguard out for hunting vampires indiscriminately, denying them a right to exist.
Am I the only one who thought they were trying to hammer in some Aesop?

T1d3

Article Writer
I don't think they are pro vampire, Dawnguard proves that. I think they are just doing exactly what you said though, breaking monster "stereotypes" and trying to be creative.

Two Bears

Being a vampire in Morrowind prohibits you from dealing with virtually the entire civilized world and forces you into having to kill Vivec in order to progress in the main quest. So, no, I wouldn't say that the devs are "pro vampire" or whatever. If anything Bethesda, like all game companies, is pro money. Vampires are cool. There are people who will buy games just because vampires are in them. Therefore vampire = $.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I think not.

Bethesda has poorly consumated the marriage between vampirism and existing and participating in the Elder Scrolls world.

Skyrim has incorporated it the best thus far, but it's still egregiously executed in actual playing of the game as a full blown bloodsucker.

*** But I'm a wolf, so my opinion is biased! :Dragonborn:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I thought the Count of Skingrad only desired a cure for his wife, not himself.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Being a vampire in Morrowind prohibits you from dealing with virtually the entire civilized world and forces you into having to kill Vivec in order to progress in the main quest. So, no, I wouldn't say that the devs are "pro vampire" or whatever. If anything Bethesda, like all game companies, is pro money. Vampires are cool. There are people who will buy games just because vampires are in them. Therefore vampire = $.

Do I hear people clamoring for pandas? :p

Possibly. Is that why Sarena's ashpiles never clean up properly. Surely ash is biodegradable? The wind should blow it everywhere.

Especially after eating a dozen apple dumplings.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
Interesting I often wonder why wearwolves were left out of Oblivion? but they were in morrowind, and why they brought them back for Skyrim was it the fans wanting them back or has jacob from twilight got some of the female staff at Bethesda hot under the collar lol, maybe they could be slightly pro vampire.

Cyrodiil would have been a perfect setting for wearwolves, wouldve been nice them running around mad in the west weald :sadface:

Two Bears

Interesting I often wonder why wearwolves were left out of Oblivion? but they were in morrowind, and why they brought them back for Skyrim was it the fans wanting them back or has jacob from twilight got some of the female staff at Bethesda hot under the collar lol, maybe they could be slightly pro vampire.

The dev team stated that werewolves were intended to be included in Oblivion, but they just ran out of time during the development and never got around to it with the Shivering Isles taking priority. Also, around the time of Shivering Isles, Bethesda had acquired the rights to Fallout, so priority began to shift to the development of Fallout 3. M'aiq the Liar's comment in Oblivion is a nod to the werewolves: Werewolves? Where? Wolves? Men that are wolves?

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
The dev team stated that werewolves were intended to be included in Oblivion, but they just ran out of time during the development and never got around to it with the Shivering Isles taking priority. Also, around the time of Shivering Isles, Bethesda had acquired the rights to Fallout, so priority began to shift to the development of Fallout 3. M'aiq the Liar's comment in Oblivion is a nod to the werewolves: Werewolves? Where? Wolves? Men that are wolves?

thats cool, I do love fallout but wish they would stop making them so we could have extra elder scrolls games :sadface:

Two Bears

thats cool, I do love fallout but wish they would stop making them so we could have extra elder scrolls games :sadface:

It's all good. I'm the opposite; I love TES, but it's #2 to Fallout. I used to be really active on No Mutants Allowed, but left once they started throwing fits about Bethesda adapting Elder Scrolls gameplay to Fallout. For me, I always thought the TES gameplay and first-person style superior to the top-down turn-based play of Fallout, but liked the setting, writing and characters of Fallout more. So, the acquisition of Fallout by Bethesda and adaptation to that style of play was my two favorite things in gaming coming together.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I think not.

Bethesda has poorly consumated the marriage between vampirism and existing and participating in the Elder Scrolls world.

Skyrim has incorporated it the best thus far, but it's still egregiously executed in actual playing of the game as a full blown bloodsucker.

*** But I'm a wolf, so my opinion is biased! :Dragonborn:
Indeed it is Mortal Werewolf

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts