Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Xiinzii

I chose to be a stormcloak as there officer gear is awesome but it's for you to decide :p

Grogmar Ghrobash

'Tis better to be alone, then of bad company.
Well, the topic seems a little cold, and since I subscribed I never saw any discussion about the duel per se.

There is little mention of it from recent post, but I suppose not the in-depth sort of discussion that you would be looking for.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
When debating a fight between a wordy Colovian and a podium based Nord, Ozan places every silver upon the One who can shoot spoons through mountains using three words. It destroyed the original Nord king, would yelling loudly not suffice here?

feliciano182

When debating a fight between a wordy Colovian and a podium based Nord, Ozan places every silver upon the One who can shoot spoons through mountains using three words. It destroyed the original Nord king, would yelling loudly not suffice here?

Ah ! But does that make for a better king ?

Even then, shouting can only get you so far.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
This is how I look at it:

If it was a legit duel, then Ulfric did nothing wrong. If he did use a shout in that duel then thats like bringing a gun to a sword fight, which isn't honorable at all. Wouldn't matter either way, my opinion on his hidden agenda remains unchanged, it'll just be another nail in the coffin.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard

If it was a legit duel, then Ulfric did nothing wrong. If he did use a shout in that duel then thats like bringing a gun to a sword fight, which isn't honorable at all. Wouldn't matter either way, my opinion on his hidden agenda remains unchanged, it'll just be another nail in the coffin.

The only fair fight is a fight one wins. It also wouldn't have mattered, Ulfric is far more experienced.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
The only fair fight is a fight one wins. It also wouldn't have mattered, Ulfric is far more experienced.

Ah yes, maybe on the battlefield, but a mutual duel must be held up to some standards. I have no doubt that Ulfric would've won anyway, however, which is why its questionable he would've chosen to cut corners to defeat him rather than to show his true battleworthy.

Adventurer

Bethesda did a great job with the presentation of the two warring sides in Skyrim. Neither of them is the absolute good nor the absolute devil. I had an initial impression when I started to play the game and my opinion has changed greatly after playing the game a lot and getting to know a few things. It is best to roll two characters and play each of the sides.

I am currently playing an Imperial(and blogging it) and I may be tempted to do so with a fierce Nord Stormcloak.

feliciano182

There's the matter of law as well, I can't be certain but it's not out of the question to say Imperial Law forbid duels like that.

Or maybe a law hadn't been yet implemented ? Difficult to say, nobody challenged the High King since the Third Era ?

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
There's the matter of law as well, I can't be certain but it's not out of the question to say Imperial Law forbid duels like that.

Or maybe a law hadn't been yet implemented ? Difficult to say, nobody challenged the High King since the Third Era ?

Well yes, but its a tricky case to take over a land and then implement laws that strictly contradict culture and traditions of the region, accepted for the past however many years or so. Yes, it was an asshole move of Ulfric (seasoned warrior) to challange the young High King (inexperienced) to a fight, when it was pretty clear Ulfric could ascend to power through diplomatic ways as well but as evident by Nord culture, blood equals respect.

That being said, Duels of that nature are more than valid to the Nords, and I would say that Skyrim should be better represented in that regard. However, by using a shout, whether or not he would win with/without, Ulfric delegitimize his cause and that is why I would say it was murder rather than a casualty of a mutually accepted duel. It'd be like if I challenged you to a sword fight, and just as we were about to go at it I pulled out a gun and shot you in the face, only to stab you to death in the end.

I've been looking through UESP wiki and I can't find anything that states that using a shout in a duel is illegal in the eyes of Nords, but from what I can see it is not accepted one bit. If anyone knows anything else then feel free to correct me (I'm looking at you, Dagmar ;)) but looking at the situation as a Nord, honor is the first priority and what Ulfric did was far from honorable.

Harc

Big Hog
The thread has died! Nope resurrected, the Stormcloaks barbaric warfare proves meaningless towards the legion. And the legions low morale is pitiful. Both sides are weak compared to the thalmor!

feliciano182

The thread has died! Nope resurrected, the Stormcloaks barbaric warfare proves meaningless towards the legion. And the legions low morale is pitiful. Both sides are weak compared to the thalmor!

You must rationalize the living plops out of your playthroughs :D

Cosmic Storm

Whoosh.
Ozan said:
They had it coming.

Really? Everyone? Everyone in Cyrodiil? Really? Really?

Harc

Big Hog
The imperial legion proved way better contenders than the Stormcloaks ever will. The Stormcloaks are barbarians that go charging at the first sight of gold skin or people that have the empire insignia. The legion plan their battles, they are an established military, and their skill and numbers are far better. Don't even say "nords are the best warriors!" Ok so if you put a thug off the streets against a United States marine who's gonna win? Obviously the marine.

Moris

The imperial legion proved way better contenders than the Stormcloaks ever will. The Stormcloaks are barbarians that go charging at the first sight of gold skin or people that have the empire insignia. The legion plan their battles, they are an established military, and their skill and numbers are far better. Don't even say "nords are the best warriors!" Ok so if you put a thug off the streets against a United States marine who's gonna win? Obviously the marine.

Well, in theory it seems true, but my actual in game experience is quite to the contrary.

When I backed the SC's and was to rescue the prisoners from Fort Neugrad, the men I was supposed to meet waited until I arrived, told me how to sneak into the fort, and the plan went off without a hitch.

When I was an Imp and had to rescue men from Fort Kastav, no matter what I did (and I tried six times before giving up, even going invisible so that I would remain undetected), the men would not wait. By the time I arrived to the outskirts of the fort, Hadvar and his men had already decided to enter the fort and attack. There was no opportunity for sneaking at all, and we lost men unnecessarily.

I concluded that compared to the Stormcloaks, the Imperials were impulsive and undisciplined.