Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
J

Jeremius

maybe ulfric did not break any laws killing the high king. But he did commit treason against the empire. That warrants death, no point in arguing the point. whether he is right in committing treason depends on you view of whether the Empire can be redeemed or not.

Tyrone

I have 2 different characters to experience Skyrim, my first character was a nord who joined the imperials and my second a redguard who joined the stormcloaks (The irony!), I personally preffered the stormcloak campaign, in my opinion. For an example, The Battle of Whiterun was just a lot more intense

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Oops Sorry I have sever dyslexia and I'm doing good to spell everything else right. Will try and correct that in the future. Thanks for pointing it out.
I was joking (hence the CDO Cat Pic and the emoticon). I do agree that there's not a lot to motivate the Argonian's to invade Skyrim given that their conquest of what was left of Morrowind has a specific history between the Argonians and Dunmer behind it that doesn't exist between the Argonians and the Nords. In addition most of their common border with Skyrim is naturally impeded by mountains making the notion of invasion less attractive.

You're assumption that the Battle-Borns making money is a sign that there's an abundance of food in Skyrim is kind of like assuming that because U.S. oil companies are making money there must be an abundance of domestic oil. Neither is true. An imbalance of supply and demand for food in Skyrim would drive food prices up, which could make farmers like the Battle-Borns wealthy. Further you hear first hand accounts from NPC's about how a bad crop for the year carries dire consequences, and dialogues from some of the NPC's of the court at Blue Palace confirm that Skyrim is dependent on the Empire to ensure that its food supplies are sufficient.

I believe that they are referring to the fact that the war has taken too many farmers from their homes for the war or have burned others out. By both the Legion and the Stormcloaks. It will be a hard year or two but I doubt that Skyrim will starve without the Empire. And I got the impression from talking to Olfrid that the Battle-Borns got their money from lucrative food-stuff trade outside Skyrim in Cyrodiil.

I was joking (hence the CDO Cat Pic and the emoticon). I do agree that there's not a lot to motivate the Argonian's to invade Skyrim given that their conquest of what was left of Morrowind has a specific history between the Argonians and Dunmer behind it that doesn't exist between the Argonians and the Nords. In addition most of their common border with Skyrim is naturally impeded by mountains making the notion of invasion less attractive.

I knew you were joking about the spelling :) but I know my spelling and grammar can be REALLY bad at times so I feel like I have to explain.

Templar of Talos

Bane of Elves and Vampires

Question for you Dagmar... Why for the love of Talos aren't you the US president?? You seem to know a hell of about world economy. Once you've sorted out the US economy, come over to the UK and sort ours out LOL!!! ;)

Fair enough on the issues you've raised.

But on your point above, people sometimes forget the Border Skirmishes between the Nords and the Dumner that have take place over the years. Perhaps a good motivation for an Alliance between the Argonians and the Nords.

However, with Ulfric in charge, can't see it happening, but would give Skyrim a small advantage.

Question for you Dagmar... Why for the love of Talos aren't you the US president?? You seem to know a hell of about world economy. Once you've sorted out the US economy, come over to the UK and sort ours out LOL!!! ;)

Fair enough on the issues you've raised.

But on your point above, people sometimes forget the Border Skirmishes between the Nords and the Dumner that have take place over the years. Perhaps a good motivation for an Alliance between the Argonians and the Nords.

However, with Ulfric in charge, can't see it happening, but would give Skyrim a small advantage.

I have to agree with the Ulfric thing I mean he's not the most diplomatic person ever. I fully expect him him to make a huge mistake and get himself kicked off the throne but that's where the Dovahkiin steps in.

Templar of Talos

I have to agree with the Ulfric thing I mean he's not the most diplomatic person ever. I fully expect him him to make a huge mistake and get himself kicked off the throne but that's where the Dovahkinn steps in.

Ulfric is a good military strategist, not diplomatic though. I really wish that Balgruff sided with Ulfric instead of the Empire, taking Whiterun from him was my one regret whilst doing the Stormcloak campaign.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
different times, different laws. the main point is that in the eyes of the legion, Ulfric has committed treason when he created the Stormcloaks and tried to take over Skyrim. that is why he is being executed, nothing about rules against dueling or whatever. Ulfric starting the Civil war is Treason to the legion, pure and simple.

which includes
maybe ulfric did not break any laws killing the high king. But he did commit treason against the empire. That warrants death, no point in arguing the point. whether he is right in committing treason depends on you view of whether the Empire can be redeemed or not.

In the eye of Ulfric he probably sees the same thing. The empire sold Skyrim along with the many of the talos worshipers out by banning the worship of Talos. The empire committed treason among their people because now the Thalmor are free to roam in skyrim by start imprisoning and slaughtering people for the sole purpose of them worshiping Talos all thanks to the empire. Ironically the Thalmor have prisons and have their embassy located in imperial territory (Haafingar) so even the the thalmor have protection of the empire from the Stormcloaks. Ulfric may of committed high treason against the empire, but the empire committed even a bigger crime.

The truth is the empire was the one that started this war, not Ulfric.

Ulfric is a good military strategist, not diplomatic though. I really wish that Balgruff sided with Ulfric instead of the Empire, taking Whiterun from him was my one regret whilst doing the Stormcloak campaign.

Mine too I wanted Balgruff to become High King and Ulfric to become Lord High General or something. Because Balgruff is the more pragmatic of the two and a good ruler needs to be pragmatic and still worship Talos. I always wished there was some one to convince the Jarls to support Ulfric instead of removing them. Except that little piss ant in Falkreath him I never feel bad about.

Raijin

Mine too I wanted Balgruff to become High King and Ulfric to become Lord High General or something. Because Balgruff is the more pragmatic of the two and a good ruler needs to be pragmatic and still worship Talos. I always wished there was some one to convince the Jarls to support Ulfric instead of removing them. Except that little piss ant in Falkreath him I never feel bad about.

Yeah I had wished that you could use your speechcraft during the war. If you have a large number, or if you are a thane of a city, you can use it to persuade someone like Balgruff to reconsider his decisions during the axe exchanging. If he accepts then he would say something like "Oh alright Dragonborn, but I'm only doing this for you. I trust your judgement" or something like that. If he declines he would say "I'm sorry Dragonborn but my decision is final."

Balgruffis fitted to be a Jarl, not High king thought. He hasn't done anything to prove that hes king qualified.

Yeah I had wished that you could use your speechcraft during the war. If you have a large number, or if you are a thane of a city, you can use it to persuade someone like Balgruff to reconsider his decisions during the axe exchanging. If he accepts then he would say something like "Oh alright Dragonborn, but I'm only doing this for you. I trust your judgement" or something like that. If he declines he would say "I'm sorry Dragonborn but my decision is final."

Balgruffis fitted to be a Jarl, not High king thought. He hasn't done anything to prove that hes king qualified.

Well he never really had the chance to prove himself either, but I do agree with what you said. Maybe someone will make a mod allowing you to use speech craft to convince the Jarls of their folly to support the Empire.

Templar of Talos

Well he never really had the chance to prove himself either, but I do agree with what you said. Maybe someone will make a mod allowing you to use speech craft to convince the Jarls of their folly to support the Empire.
Thats a good idea, but no good for us Console players I'm sorry to say

Tyrone

In my opinion, even though I liked Balgruuf it was right to depose him. Galmar had already been pushing Ulfric to attack Whiterun to show his military might, and Balgruuf's speech about how the nords had shed blood for the empire solidified his opinion on the war.

Raijin

I don't think his character was created to be king material, that's why he never had the chance to prove himself. His character is designed to be Jarl, only. I suppose if people want to fantasized him of being king then they can write a fanfiction. I don't think it will ever happen in canon.

Making a mod would be very difficult. You must provide the voice, and the story would have to dramatically change for the mod to completely work.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I believe that they are referring to the fact that the war has taken too many farmers from their homes for the war or have burned others out.
If you're talking about the civil war I don't think so. Sybille mentions the need for the Empire's resources and food in explaining the reasons why Torygg didn't try to declare independence from the Empire so the reliance on the Empire's resources predates the civil war. If you're talking about the Great War that makes even less sense because it's been over 20 years since the Great War ended.
And I got the impression from talking to Olfrid that the Battle-Borns got their money from lucrative food-stuff trade outside Skyrim in Cyrodiil.
I don't know why you got that impression. I don't recall Olfrid ever saying where the Battle-Born's wealth comes from.

Six Gun Tarot

Power is Power

Yet Ulfric is? Balgruff is the only Jarl i've seen with an idea of what is going on in Skyrim.

Raijin

Yet Ulfric is? Balgruff is the only Jarl i've seen with an idea of what is going on in Skyrim.

Lets analyze this :)

What has Ulfric done?
A) Created a rebellion faction to seize control of Skyrim from the shackles of a dying empire.
B) Fighting for independence from the empire.
C) Fighting to restore the worship of Talos in Skyrim.
D) Fighting to make Skyrim strong again by wanting to be High King.

What has Balgruuf done?
Not a damn thing to help make Skyrim a better place. Sure he sent a few guards to Riverwood, that's all nice, but he was obligated to do it because it's part of his jurisdiction. His action shows nothing. During the The Whispering Door quest, his son reveals that his father still worships Talos privately despite siding with the empire, who was responsible for banning Talos in the first place. I would've gave the man some props if he cast aside his hatred for Ulfric (I think hes driven by jealously more than anything else) and sided with the Stormcloaks, but no he decided to be an ass and put his whiterun people's life at jeopardy because he wanted to show his middle finger off at Ulfric.

Israphel

i became the harbinger of the companions then had the mistake to join the stormcloaks to do the main quest so when you raid whiterun after it was over i went into the companion hall and ether vilkas or farkas kept trying to do like the guards do when they try to take you to arrest me but because im the leader they kept saying there normal talk and worst thing is they would follow me so i had to revert to a save before the siege. Never make my mistake.