• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jeff the DragonBorn

considering that the Thalmor have a contract on me now I am leaning toward the Imperials. And of course a raid on the Thalmor embassy is coming soon

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Imperials. Sure, you're captured by them and sentenced to death in the beginning of the game, but you and the thief from Rorikstead were both captured along with a group of Stormcloaks. Doesn't that strike you as weird? Being executed makes perfect sense.

Here's another thing-- if you don't side with one or the other and finish the quest line before you finish the main story quest line, you must go up to High Hrothgar with a number of NPCs from both sides and negotiate a temporary peace treaty. Ulfric threw the biggest temper-tantrum I've ever seen in a game by an adult about the whole thing.

Then there's Solitude Windhelm-- go there. They've got all the dark elves living in the craptastic part of the city, and the guards will often make it clear they don't want you there, depending on your race. So do others that live in the city. If you go into an Imperial controlled city, they may be somewhat hostile if you're an elf, but nothing like what's in Windhelm .

Now, about the Empire surrendering to the Aldmeri Dominion-- put yourself into the seat of their leader. Do you surrender and accept their terms of banning worship of Talos, or do you continue with the war and destroy your people?
The surrender was perfectly acceptable. Sure, now you're down to only eight divines, but would you rather have it that way or have your home and city burned, and then be executed, or worse, tortured endlessly about something you know nothing about?

So.. yeah... Imperials.

In the Thalmor embassy you will find a dossier. The name on this dossier is Ulfric Stormcloak. It details how Ulfric is actually a sleeper agent for the Thalmor. The reason they were at helgen was to prevent him from being killed (Alduin showed up). He may seem racist to every non nord, but could you join his side knowing that it might be just a ruse to hide the fact that he is a Thalmor agent? I couldn't so I joined the Imperials. Well, all that, and he almost got me executed.

This adds a lot of good points that I agree with.

Sps Drake

In the same dossier, it says that the Thalmor are not connected to the return of Alduin. It mentions that it was coincidental. Ulfric is not a "sleeper agent", he is listed as a "dormant asset", and one that can be manipulated but would resist any "overt" attempts to be bought off or used by the Thalmor. Just because Ulfric was manipulated as an asset does not make him an "agent". He is not aware of the role of the Thalmor in the Markarth Incident, nor is he consciously working for them.
I re read the dossier and you're right. I didn't mean to say that they caused Alduin to show up, I just fogot the "but" sorry about that.
Still, killing him kind of screws the Thalmor's plan. On the other had, beating the Imperials sort of does the same thing. I personally think the Free Winter guy was like Ulfric but better because he was willing to put up with the empire, not be racist to the dark elves, and his name has the word free in it.

Jaeger

Imperials. Sure, you're captured by them and sentenced to death in the beginning of the game, but you and the thief from Rorikstead were both captured along with a group of Stormcloaks. Doesn't that strike you as weird? Being executed makes perfect sense.

Ralof tells the Dragonborn where they were captured (something Crossing; I think it's in the Rift) - far from the border where you were captured crossing the border near Helgen.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Ralof tells the Dragonborn where they were captured (something Crossing; I think it's in the Rift) - far from the border where you were captured crossing the border near Helgen.

Dark Water Crossing; it's a mine. However, someone also says something like, "You... you were trying to cross the border when those Imperials showed up, weren't you?"

Jaeger

The first paragraph only strengthens my point, its the population that doesn't welcome other races. While racism would exist whether the Empire was in control or not the point is that Ulfric encourages this behavior while Titus Mede II doesn't.

The reason most Bosmer and khajit shopkeepers distrust other Bosmer and khajit is because they look at things with a business oriented perception. And because the stereotype for both khajit and bosmer is that of a shady thief they openly distrust them.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

But the Bosmer and Khajit merchants didn't distrust others (high elf, argonians, etc). Why is that? And if, say Whiterun distrust khajits for being thieves, why not the distrust to the two Bosmer brothers - the drunken Huntsmen and the foodstall guy. So, a Bosmer merchant believes the stereotypes that all Bosmer are shady thieves? Aren't you stereotyping Bosmer merchants.

Jaeger

If y'all were to to read the lore on the Altmer and the thalmor, some things will come to light. The Thalmor were a government faction of the Altmer. Who divide and conquered Summerset isles. Probably had high elven refugees who didn't like the Thalmor leave. Then the Altmer divided and conquered Valenwood ( again you had wood elves who didn't like the Thalmor and left). The khajit though joined the Thalmor willingly (is this the reason for the universal distrust against khajit but not high elven, wood elves, algonians who all have representatives as shop keepers, stewards, have free reign of a city whereas the khajit do not even though Bosmer are just as sneaky thief as the khajit, the Algonian just as beast race as the khajit, are racial members of their sworn enemy the Thalmor).

And here in Skyrim, the Thalmor are using the same playbook - Divide and Conquered.

Jaeger

Now, about the Empire surrendering to the Aldmeri Dominion-- put yourself into the seat of their leader. Do you surrender and accept their terms of banning worship of Talos, or do you continue with the war and destroy your people?
The surrender was perfectly acceptable. Sure, now you're down to only eight divines, but would you rather have it that way or have your home and city burned, and then be executed, or worse, tortured endlessly about something you know nothing about?

Let's go tell the Muslims to give up Allah and Mohammed. Let's go tell Christians to give up God and Jesus. If we find y'all doing it on the sly, we're going to kill you, lock you up, torture you, etc. Oh yeah, that's going to cone off real well.

Even the holdfasts in Skyrim? I think they are a little more chaotic than that.

If you talk to them, they are divided in their opinions of the Legion and Empire, but not between the Empire and Stormcloaks. They don't support the Stormcloaks at all. Their divide is between loyalty to the Legion and loyalty to Orc traditions and the holdfasts.

jam

Even the holdfasts in Skyrim? I think they are a little more chaotic than that.

They have a history of serving the legion. The blacksmith in Markarth comments that she grew up in a stronghold, but left to train with the legion because she didn't want to become one of many wives to chief. Also, in one of the the strongholds, the male follower was in the legion and exiled for leaving the stronghold to go on adventures. The divide in the orc community seems to be breaking the traditions of the culture, rather than any political views. However, since the player, as a character has already broken free of the stronghold, it seems likely the would support the legion's army if they were planning on joining the civil war. I highly doubt the Stormcloak's political views would be highly valued to anyone that was not a nord.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Let's go tell the Muslims to give up Allah and Mohammed. Let's go tell Christians to give up God and Jesus. If we find y'all doing it on the sly, we're going to kill you, lock you up, torture you, etc. Oh yeah, that's going to cone off real well.

Assuming I understand this right ...If they were very seriously threatened to be annihilated because of their religion? Yes, I would very much tell them to. You do not need to openly worship to show your faith and appreciation to any high and mighty being when it could save you and thousands of others.

To put it simply:
Ban worship of some one/thing
or
Have your whole race/religion/faction/whatever destroyed

XbSuper

I think the legion is the only way to go. The white-gold concordat was only a temporary treaty, due to the fact that both sides were taking heavy losses. Both the thalmor, and the empire plan to break this treaty when the time is right. Ulfric is just a giant monkey wrench in the empires plan to free skyrim of the thalmor. How are they supposed to rebuild their army, when they have to keep fighting a war, where both sides are looking for the same end result?(aside from Ulfric becoming high king). If Ulfric wasn't such a narrow minded prick he would see that the empire doesn't truly support the ban of Talos worship, they just want people to keep it under wraps so the thalmor doesn't get all pissed off, before the empire is ready to fight them again.

Jaeger

In 4E 171, the Great War erupted when the Aldmeri Dominion demanded, in part, that the new Emperor Titus Mede II cede large tracts of southern Hammerfell to them.[12] The Empire fought back, but ultimately made the concession as part of the White-Gold Concordat of 4E 175.[12] Though the rest of the Empire left them to their fate, the Redguards refused to accept this and suffered mass devastation all over southern Hammerfell in their long, though successful, repulsion of the Dominion's invasion.[12] Many Redguards remain bitter over the Empire's abandonment, and their valiant struggle has convinced many throughout Tamriel that the entire Concordat was a mistake, and the Empire would have persevered had it fought on.[12][13]

Redguards would help the Nords. And the Nords are using this as an example that the Thalmor can be beaten. The imperials are pus.... which in my playthroughs they are.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
My first character sided w/ the Imperials mostly b/c he was an Imperial and personally I don't like the xenophobia of Ulfric and his followers. I'm going w/ the stormcloaks w/ my new character just to see how the storyline plays out.