I'm really new at this game, what kind of assassin?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

cydonianknight

For some reason I had a really childish urge to start a new account before finishing my first game, because I screwed up my build pretty badly. This time around, I want to be a rogue/sneak assassin guy. Should I primarily use the bow, or one handed daggers maybe with some illusion/destruction on the other hand? Maybe all three? What are some skill trees I need to get up in, and if I do go for the dual magicka/dagger build how do I distribute my attribute points?

Dvalin

All three would spread you pretty thin on perks. I find that bow/dagger is always a solid build. But its your preferance. Definately keep the daggers and choose either spells or bow for your ranged damage.

Here are starter builds, they have the essentials for what you're looking for, just fill in the rest up to 50 :)

Spells for Ranged damage - http://skyrimcalculator.com/#61920 (Just pick a specific school, fire frost or shock to specialize in)

Bows for ranged damage - http://skyrimcalculator.com/#61926

cydonianknight

All three would spread you pretty thin on perks. I find that bow/dagger is always a solid build. But its your preferance. Definately keep the daggers and choose either spells or bow for your ranged damage.

Here are starter builds, they have the essentials for what you're looking for, just fill in the rest up to 50 :)

Spells for Ranged damage - http://skyrimcalculator.com/#61920 (Just pick a specific school, fire frost or shock to specialize in)

thank you sooooo much

i have not looked at being an assassin mainly because i feel it would not be so good in the main quest lines..BUT if someone could tell me i am wrong i might make a third character tonight

Dvalin

Assassins. Rock. They work as well as any other in the main questline. You're slightly more squishy against dragons but I haven't noticed a huge difference between my sneak and my battle mage. They're all survivable in their own way. You won't regret it.

sweet ok ok silly question... sneak attacks how do you do them? i would imagine its as simple as sneaking up behind someone and then hitting the attack button.... i wonder if there is something else your meant todo because i always get spotted.... but then again im not an assasin

Dvalin

Thats it, just crouch, and any attack counts as a 'sneak' attack as long as you are not detected. You'll eventually get to where you can 1 hit, A. LOT. Perks like backstab(sneak attacks with daggers do 15x damage, and certain items that make backstab do double damage = very fast kills.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
I have always found Illusion to be extremely useful as an assassin. The three most important illusion spells in my opinion are Frenzy, Invisibility, and Muffle(this can be replaced if you have enchanted boots that have the Muffle effect). Frenzy will allow you to make your target attack others and if that target is weak, you have got yourself an easy kill. This is also useful against a huge crowd of bandits or mages. Muffle goes really well with the Sneak perks as you are virtually invisible in the shadows. Add Invisibility to that and you can virtually go anywhere in sneak mode without being detected at all. If you get your illusion skill high enough, you can take the perk that allows you to cast magic from any school without being detected. Again, this stacks really great with the Invisibility and Muffle spell. This goes very well in hand with Destruction as you can cast runes where your targets walk over them and hurt themselves badly in the process while you remain undetected, as long as you take both Sneak and Illusion perks. Dark Elf is the best race to start off in this direction as you have a +5 bonus for Illusion and Sneak and a +10 bonus for Destruction. You could also choose the Wood Elf, Argonian, or Khajiit as they are also great races for stealth type characters that don't use magic. In this case, Archery and One-Handed is definitely recommended.

i think i am going to make a stelth character.... i love my battle orc but i think his feet are tired

only problem being i dont want to do the start again

Dvalin

i think i am going to make a stelth character.... i love my battle orc but i think his feet are tired

Do the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests. Perfect for leveling a sneak. You can get them both by traveling to Riften and asking Maul about the Dark Brotherhood, bribe him if your speech isn't high. You can also start it by asking innkeeper about rumers and wait for the cursed child performing the black sacrement.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869

I'm also about to start an assassin character, and those links helped me so much. Thanks!

Dvalin

Glad I could help and I hope you enjoy. I have to say I love playing with the perk calculator so I'm always happy to help or entertain a new idea.

Al'Amar

The Wood Elf
what quest lines are you doing with your assasin?
The quests I would reccomend for an Assassins would be either the Dark BrotherHood, Or Thieves Guild. They both have the sneaky, stealthy feel with quests.

Mabe

I started my Orc with 2 handed, heavy armor and smithing. I more or less maxed those out with 80s in those skills and most of the usefully perks in those trees when I was level 30 or so. I then started on sneak and archery. Now at level 43 those are 3/4 maxed and he is a very effective archer. I have a set of cloths(minimal extra weight to lug around) with sneak and archery enchants that I creep around in and snipe opponents. If/when I get detected I switch to my heavy armor and my 2h wepon on choice.

I wouldn't try to go after all the skill sets at once as you spread yourself too thin. I was able to level archery very fast by wearing heavy armor and letting bears and horkers harmlessly chew on my arm while I pumped 50 iron arrows into them. That and "free" archery training with Aela.

A jack of all trades does not work in this game. But you can have a battle skill you major in, a minor and maybe a hobby or two. If you let yourself get too focused on one battle style there is such a thing as the game getting too easy. Either way a well balanced character needs to be proficient at both ranged and close combat.

brandon

my current character started out as a sneaky mage. i use illusion and destruction magic. hes just started wearing armor when he got the ebony mail for boethea. ive almost finished the theives guild quest and about half of the dragon quest. being a sneaky magic assassin is alot of fun. i use muffle and then fury right of the bat. then i watch as my target either kills a bunch of people or abunch of people kill my target. after that settles down and if my target is still alive. ill drop a lightning rune at theyre feet. then hit them with a two handed fire ball. and theyll never know where i am. its epic. and took a long time to get the feel for magic.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869

One thing, though. What would you be wearing for these builds as armour? The bows one would probably just be light armour, but how about the illusion one?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts