I'm having a problem with lockpicking in the TG

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lindsay

Premium Member
Hi, I recently have been trying to lock pick the chests at the Thieves Guild. I am a member of it. But, when I try to open a chest, whatever NPC is in there tells me not to do it? How do I fix this?
EDIT: This is what he says
2012-03-29_00002-2.jpg

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
Strange. Not an error I've come across before, nor one I can find any description of. I presume you've completed enough of the Thieves' Guild quest-line to be permitted access to that area - which I think just means you need to have had that first conversation with Mercer and Brynjolf where he welcomes you to the guild. (After the 'collect the debts' quest but before the 'burn the beehives' quest)

If you're on PC, there may well be a console command to change the NPC's behaviour so that they don't react negatively towards you picking locks. It'll be on here somewhere - Skyrim:Console - UESPWiki - I'll see if I can find the appropriate command...

psyk0

Okay, try this - face your camera at the NPC, open your console using the ¬` key (to the left of 1), click the NPC, and type: setAV Morality any crime

Then close and open the console and try the lock again.

Can't guarantee that'll work, but it's unlikely to cause any harm. Good luck!

mellojoe

in the Thieves Guild, if you are a member, I didn't think any of the chests were locked. Except the guild master chest. The rest were open and availible for me to remove stuff. I'm thinking a glitch in one of the quests that activates you as part of the guild. Did you finish the "Taking Care of Business" questline?

psyk0

Nah, there is a training room full of locked chests, in a sort of back area (I think there's a few training dummies in there too) - it's designed so you can pick the locks and practice your skill. You're not supposed to get told off by the other guildies, though...

Lindsay

Premium Member
in the Thieves Guild, if you are a member, I didn't think any of the chests were locked. Except the guild master chest. The rest were open and availible for me to remove stuff. I'm thinking a glitch in one of the quests that activates you as part of the guild. Did you finish the "Taking Care of Business" questline?
I just finished the quest with finding Karliah with Mercer Frey

xGooGx

Hi, I recently have been trying to lock pick the chests at the Thieves Guild. I am a member of it. But, when I try to open a chest, whatever NPC is in there tells me not to do it? How do I fix this?
EDIT: This is what he says
2012-03-29_00002-2.jpg

trust me, those chests are filled with plops only.. i lockpicked them yesterday.. they were lame.
but if you will finish the guild's quests (not the side-quests) then you will earn alot of honor there and be able to lockpick them..

yesterday i lockpicked them but nobody was in there

xGooGx

Okay, try this - face your camera at the NPC, open your console using the ¬` key (to the left of 1), click the NPC, and type: setAV Morality any crime

Then close and open the console and try the lock again.

Can't guarantee that'll work, but it's unlikely to cause any harm. Good luck!
if i try this command, i can kill a bunch of guards and get away with the bounty ? :D

psyk0

trust me, those chests are filled with pl*** only.. i lockpicked them yesterday.. they were lame.
but if you will finish the guild's quests (not the side-quests) then you will earn alot of honor there and be able to lockpick them..

The loot in those chests is levelled, and the zone resets every 10 days. So come back later and you'll be able to re-pick them for more lockpicking experience and higher rewards. :)

xGooGx said:
if i try this command, i can kill a bunch of guards and get away with the bounty ? :D

You'd have to use the command on each individual NPC in the area, but in theory, yes! I should point out that I haven't tried this and don't even know if that's the right way to use the command; experiment with it and let me know how it goes :p
If you're gonna do that, though, you may as well just use paycrimegold instead ;)

Lindsay

Premium Member
trust me, those chests are filled with pl*** only.. i lockpicked them yesterday.. they were lame.

I know there isn't really anything good in there, I just want to pick the locks to level up easier.

xGooGx

The loot in those chests is levelled, and the zone resets every 10 days. So come back later and you'll be able to re-pick them for more lockpicking experience and higher rewards. :)
i know the loot is leveled, but the loot was also lame for what i already had :/ (i have an ebony sword of devouring.. and i saw in the chest a normal ebony sword..)

xGooGx

You'd have to use the command on each individual NPC in the area, but in theory, yes! I should point out that I haven't tried this and don't even know if that's the right way to use the command; experiment with it and let me know how it goes :p
If you're gonna do that, though, you may as well just use paycrimegold instead ;)

Alright, if ill use the command ill let you know !

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Please please please backup saved games if you mess with console commands. Please. ;) Really. Please.

Papabear

I had the same problem when I first joined thieves guild. I went back later and didn't have any trouble. Maybe you need more interaction with the guild before they trust you enough to let you practice on the training chests.
On a side note, I'm level 59 now and haven't applied any skill points toward LP. It's just leveled on it's own. I can open anything now so the boosts seem pointless to me now.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts