• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I may be misreading your post or even the Illusion tree, but isn't what you just described . . . all of them?

edit: 'twas the latter. I see that the middle part (that raises level for effectiveness of calm, fear, and rage) doesn't act as a reducer but an effective level raiser. Still, if you're taking illusion primarily for fear effects, isn't that last one going to be necessary? Master of the mind lets you cast at just about anything, but by the time you get there, everything is going to outlevel your max, even dual cast, unless you have Rage, right?
Actually no. If you look in my signature you'll see a link about Illusion. That shows what I said is valid. It took forever to put that together, but the numbers are all correct.

Morgan

Actually no. If you look in my signature you'll see a link about Illusion. That shows what I said is valid. It took forever to put that together, but the numbers are all correct.

I did! That's why I decided to just sidestep the whole thing and delete my post. You must have grabbed the quote too soon.

Well you can actually effectively do it with only Dual Casting, the cost reducing perks, and the right branch to Master of the Mind.

Thats all but 3 perks. I meant how like some people just get to Fast Healing on Restoration and just stop there.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Thats all but 3 perks. I meant how like some people just get to Fast Healing on Restoration and just stop there.
Mind you cost reducing is quite optional. If you get the right gear there is always 100% cost reduction, Dual casting, and Right branch. Mind you that's very dedicated unless you are building an Illusion based character who doesn't use any other spell school and doesn't need other enchantments. (OMG new build just popped in my head)

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
Muffle is the only reason I use illusion magic :)

Mind you cost reducing is quite optional. If you get the right gear there is always 100% cost reduction, Dual casting, and Right branch. Mind you that's very dedicated unless you are building an Illusion based character who doesn't use any other spell school and doesn't need other enchantments. (OMG new build just popped in my head)

I'm not a big believer in building a character based upon what you can do to manipulate it on the backend. If I'm going to use illusion as a character skill, I'm going to use it at level 5, 20, and 50 consistently. I'm not going to wait to hit 100 enchantment and reduce costs to zero, and I never reduce any cost below 75%, and pretty much never use more then 2 fortify weapon enchants.

Since Illusion really isn't Standalone (Though you could combine it with weapon skills instead of other Schools to finish that last guy) it actually works with not enchanting up to freebie. A Wizard can Fortify Alteration, Conjuration, and Illusion (A fantastic combo, BTW) spread amongst 3 different items with extra effect (and wearing Vokun) None of them up to 100%, but I've gotten around 50s in 3 schools with nothing more than 100 Enchant, and the half off Perks. (Layer, don't stack, so 50% of 50% leaves 25% base casting cost.) I feel that this is a lot closer to the spirit of crafting a mage build than Feuer Frei Stunmer.

Just because I like posting Builds, (and haven't for a while) here's a good Battlemage for this kind of setup: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! I used Bound Bow as a Conjuration/Archery trainer, and soul harvester until I could clean out High Gate Ruins, Labrynthian, Ironbind Barrow, and Enchant a decent Ebony Bow. The usual Firey Souls/Absorb Health on that, with 45/73% off the three schools, and Resistance on the Ebony/Robes (actually Ulfric's Clothes) and Vokun on top. High prep, drop a battle appropriate summon, (or 2) and Ebony Flesh, then switch to the bow to support it, with Illusion Effects available as needed. Note, this was an old build (which I don't have screencaps, or a save to pose from) before Aspect of terror got patched, and no Sneak, so I took the midline to MotM instead of Quiet Casting...

Also, Twin Souls is optional, there's a point available there, but I invested 1/1/1 in H/M/S (about 300 each with an Altmer) so I had neither the time, nor Magicka to double summon, anyway. I also warn you, this is a pretty unstoppable Master build if you know how to play it. All strengths, no real weaknesses with the Lord Stone to cap off your Magick Resistance. The other primary Enchantment was Fortify Archery. Stay out of the melee, you've got enough health, and passive defense to soak a lot, but no CQC offense.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts