If you roleplay do you follow a religion in Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

itsLilBeastHD

Jason, Modder.
Depends on the character and the mood i'm in.

For my nord's i mostly worship talos and i follow it by killing any and all thalmor operatives in the area i patrol. My orcs normally worship the daedric lords and spend most of their time wandering around and killing all those who dare to oppose them. My dark elves tend to be anti-religious and my argonian is bound to sithis.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
My Talos worshiping Stormcloak makes a pilgrimage to all the Talos shrines to pray and leave tribute (usually a weapon). My Dunmer made sure to do the Azura quest and to do it her way.Solstheim made it pretty easy to observe the religion more easily . My Argonian is of course bound to Sithis (as I have no clue what else they worship beside the Hist Trees).
I've never had a religious Bosmer, Khajiit or Redguard don't really no why.

Wildroses

I normally do it by picking a god and visiting their shrines and temples even when you have no gaming reason to (like being cured of a disease). Only praying to that god when you get sick is another way. I had one worshiper of Arkay who would visit the Hall of the Dead to pray first thing when she arrived in a city. She also loathed necromancy, as I read Arkay wasn't that keen on Necromancy. I'm thinking of doing a convert to Mara who gets married and adopts orphans purely because Mara is so keen on love and compassion. If you downloaded several R+ mods, I imagine it would be possible to roleplay a Dibella worshipper, Haelga style.

Other ways of roleplaying devotion include NOT looting all potions, ingots, gems and coins you find on shrines in the wild, even if the game doesn't consider it stealing; leaving offerings yourself; and making it a priority to do any quests given to you by priests.

Torok

I once played as The Mane, he worshiped the Eight, praying at shrines and leaving small tributes. He's the most religious character I have played, most of my characters either don't worship or just worship the Eight.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Yep normally a particular Daedric Lord, It's quite easy that way for example, as a worshipper of Meridia you just use dawnbreaker, kill all undead and avoid necromancy. Now I'm playing a breton worshiper of Hermaeus Mora, I have to read every single book I see :p and practice in multiple schools of magic.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
I actually think the worship of Meridia could be more complex, both philosophically, and from a game play perspective. If you read The Invocation of Azura, you can get a better idea of the kind of worship expected by the Daedra.

Invocation of Azura (Morrowind) said:
Azura is the only Daedra Princess I have ever worshipped who seems to care about her followers. Molag Bal wanted my mind, Boethiah wanted my arms, and Nocturnal perhaps my curiosity. Azura wants all of that, and our love above all. Not our abject slavering, but our honest and genuine caring in all its forms. It is important to her that our emotions be engaged in her worship. And our love must also be directed inward. If we love her and hate ourselves, she feels our pain. I will, for all time, have no other mistress.

While the book shines a light on how divergent worship can be from one Daedric Prince to the next, it also highlights how a simple concept -- for instance: Love -- can have far-reaching influences on what constitutes worship. Abject slavering is discouraged, because mindless dedication is not love in any form, however, if you cannot genuinely offer up your love, you cannot truly worship Azura. What this demands, then, is not just the ability to honestly say you love Azura, but the necessity to offer your pure devotion. As a mother loves her child without reserve and without question, Azura demands you love her as well. It seems simple in concept, and easier than dedication to Molag Bal for some, I think there's more to be taken into consideration before making a decision.

The worship of a Daedric Prince can be simplified to the concept of identifying their most prominent feature (love; deception; secrecy; betrayal) and embodying the totality of that concept's possible permutations. Boethiah pleasured in her worshipers being warriors, but in such a way that carrying out violence against each other, killing each other in celebration of her name brought her the greatest pleasure of all. Molag Bal relishes "blackmail, extortion, and bribery", requiring a worshiper only be the sort of person to cast aside the cumbersome trappings of social morality without hesitation. Azura, on the other hand, requires love. Requires it. It's not a matter of being conditioned by society to feel no guilt in returning the short end of the stick you were dealt, or giving in to baser, more violent urges society (probably very wisely) discourages. To give your love requires conquering fear and hesitation, opening yourself up as you never have, and pouring that love out at her feet without reserve. You must love not only a Prince, but the concept of a Prince, whether that Prince manifests for you or not.

Because of this, while I think the worship of Meridia, about whom we know little thus far, can indeed be boiled down to "kill all undead", it should also include as many permutations of the concept as can be fathomed. "Cleansing" is her energy. Sunlight, heat, fire, holy burning. Don't just avoid necromancy; eradicate all necromancers; seek out vampire dens and obliterate the inhabitants. In this, Dawnguard is a blessing, because you can complete the quests as an agent of Meridia, cleansing the land of undead in her name.

She also strikes me as being firm and unbending in her will. There is no grey area when you cast so much light; you can only see the black and white, since you blind yourself to what grey there may be. You either worship her, or you do not. Whatever she may appreciate of those who happen to kill undead, I doubt she would see it as "worship" unless that is the cause and drive of the character. I see there being something of a Paladin mentality, though perhaps not so severe an attitude as the Vigilants of Stendarr.

I only focus on Meridia here as that's the Daedra I have set up for my own character to follow and worship, so I've been giving the subject a little extra thought as of very recent, but I do think the Daedra expect far more activity from their worshipers than the Aedra, and I've yet to see a Daedra unwilling to sacrifice dissatisfactory worshipers on the potential for something better. It's not enough to disown a Champion; they want to see them dead and punished for failing to represent them. Obviously there's greater expectation to satisfy a Daedra when you're their Champion, but it's only because you were the best gods damned worshiper of the bunch! You know, until the Dragonborn swans in and loots your corpse for artifacts with no intention of honoring a holiday in any name but their own. But unless an unaffiliated player character unhindered by restricting mechanics interferes, the implication is that embodiment of ideals specific to that Daedra is what grants Championhood, and the logical conclusion about those who can call themselves "worshipers" is at least some level of dedication to embodying those same ideals, if only to a lesser, or less socially observable degree.

Wishmaker1234

Speaker to the Dazed
I play as an Alcoholic Nord however when he Drinks he turns evil and kills people so in order to get over his Alcoholism he starts praying to the Eight for help. He prays the most to Stendar and Mara because he feels guilty for his past actions, mercy and love are just what he needs. Right now he is a Vigilant of Stendar working with Erandur a priest of mara to rid the world of Daedra and spread love and mercy.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Yeah, I follow my own : kill whoever you have to and stay alive and be happy ! :cool:

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
I am a priest of the order of Talos on one of my builds, he travels the wilds and finds the Talos shrines and leaves diamonds, weapons etc as tribute, he also hunts down a certain evil book of blasphemy called the Talos mistake and if I find anyone that has it in there house lets just say I make that house go up for rent. I also hunt dirty pointy eard Thalmor and give them soft magic users a lesson in beheading elves. also once I am rich enuff I give Talos worshippers gold, jewlerry etc like Heimskr I pickpoket him and give him a few thousand septims, funny he still doesn't buy a house :S

Two Bears

There have been a number of characters that I played which required religious devotion. I rolled an Imperial priest of Stendarr. One of my Nord warriors ended up a werewolf and became a devout follower of Hircine. On a similar note, I will not have a vampire character enter temples or even handle an amulet of one of the divines. It's all about flavor and doing what that character would do.

I don't follow a particular one, i just use a shrine whenever i find another one. Adds a certain randomness to my play although in the basement of my house i've all of them. Most of the time i pray at the Temple of Bethesda for more patches and more dlc.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
My Nord doesn't worship Talos, he worships the more Old ways.

Following the more Nordic Gods; Kyne, Shor & Tsun etc. Mainly Kyne though, since he is a warrior.

Kyne (Kiss At The End), or Kaan in the dragon language, is the Nordic goddess of the Storm, widow of Shor, Warrior-Wife, and a favored god of warriors. As the goddess of the Storm, she is strongly associated with wind and rain, and is thought to control both forces, even when they bring misery. She is often called the Mother of Men, as Nords believe the sky exhaled onto the land at the Throat of the World to form them. Nords still refer to themselves as "the Sons and Daughters of Kyne".

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts