i may have underestimated this quest...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

stagnant94

i was doing the college of winterhold quest where you have to go to labyrinthian, I'm not a very high level, I'm mage only, high elf, i had a few problems on the way in, died about twice, but no real problems.

BUT I DIDNT REALISE THERE WAS A DRAGON PRIEST AT THE END, i can't kill him, I've died like 10 times, even after changing the difficulty to novice, I've got no potions, i can't kill him because i always run out of magicka and in the time it takes to regenerate he's conjured some storm atronach who chases me so i have to leave my hiding place and the second i do this the dragon priest destroys me in two seconds, please help, i don't know how much longer i can go on like this.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I also did the College of Winterhold questline immediately on my zero armor, Pure Mage.

I relied on my follower, I think it was Stenvar, along with my conjuration Magic (Atronach) to keep that Dragon Priest stuck along that thin walkway where he's getting "powered" by those two other mages.

As long as you can keep him stuck there and allow your follower and summon to dish out the damage, you should be safe at a distance. I wouldn't use destruction magic on him, conserve your magicka pool to keep your summon up at all times.

There are times when, as a Mage especially early on, that it's wise to play more of a Support/backline role. This is one of those times.

Necromis

hey great advice as I am about to head over that way to take on that quest line. First though I am gonna kill astrid I think. LOL

stagnant94

good advice, 2 things though, I've got conjure flame atronach, but it gets murdered instantly, and i didn't bring a follower, am i completely screwed?

MushroomGenius

What else you got? Shouts?

I think both the Dragon Priest and the Storm Atronach are level 30, so yeah it's going to be a tough fight. You can do it though!

stagnant94

um, i kinda went straight to the college of winterhold because this is my second play through and i really didn't feel like doing the main quest, so no, i haven't got any shouts either, wow I'm an idiot, also my most recent saved game is just after i killed the mages powering him, and i overwrited all the ones since before i entered labyrinthian, so i would have to do the whole thing again just to get a follower and train up.

stagnant94

Is it bad that i one shot him with 5 followers? Then afterwards the followers started killing each other? lmao.
how did you get 5? i thought you could only have one human at a time

MushroomGenius

um, i kinda went straight to the college of winterhold because this is my second play through and i really didn't feel like doing the main quest, so no, i haven't got any shouts either, wow I'm an idiot, also my most recent saved game is just after i killed the mages powering him, and i overwrited all the ones since before i entered labyrinthian, so i would have to do the whole thing again just to get a follower and train up.

Is it impossible for you to leave the room completely? I don't remember if you get locked in or not.

Opium_Bunny

It is a well known glitch...i will warn you though that it does water down the game by a lot...and you will eventually hate that such a glitch exists. But it can be so much fun, ever start a bar fight in the bannered mare with esbern, delphine, dark brotherhood initiate, lenith, and mjoll to back you up? Not to mention equip each one of them with a frost atronoch conjuration staff....it gets CRAZY.

MushroomGenius

It is a well known glitch...i will warn you though that it does water down the game by a lot...and you will eventually hate that such a glitch exists. But it can be so much fun, ever start a bar fight in the bannered mare with esbern, delphine, dark brotherhood initiate, lenith, and mjoll to back you up? Not to mention equip each one of them with a frost atronoch conjuration staff....it gets CRAZY.

Please don't encourage glitching. (Yes I see your qualifying statement "... you will eventually hate..", but the fact that you planted the seed in his head is enough damage)

It's apparent he's playing the game as intended and just came up to a rough spot. He can get through it.

stagnant94

Is it impossible for you to leave the room completely? I don't remember if you get locked in or not.
i don't know, but even so, id still have to leave the entire ruin just to get a follower

MushroomGenius

i don't know, but even so, id still have to leave the entire ruin just to get a follower

You could always continue this quest at a later time. Level up a bit, come back better prepared. It's not "just to get a follower", you'll have a full stock of potions and better knowledge, not to mention a cleared dungeon to wade through. The Dragon Priests do not increase in difficulty as you level, as far as I know.

Up to you though, not sure what your other options are at this point.

Eludwyn

I've done the questline on a level 14 Argonian pure mage, AND a level 14 Khajiit pure mage.

Have you gotten the staff of Fireballs from Krosis? I found it invaluable dealing with large amount of enemies or high level'd enemies.

stagnant94

You could always continue this quest at a later time. Level up a bit, come back better prepared. It's not "just to get a follower", you'll have a full stock of potions and better knowledge, not to mention a cleared dungeon to wade through. The Dragon Priests do not increase in difficulty as you level, as far as I know.

Up to you though, not sure what your other options are at this point.
ill probably follow that idea, right now my options are mostly just dying loads

stagnant94

I've done the questline on a level 14 Argonian pure mage, AND a level 14 Khajiit pure mage.

Have you gotten the staff of Fireballs from Krosis? I found it invaluable dealing with large amount of enemies or high level'd enemies.
dude, krosis is in the main quest line i think, i haven't even started that, and all I've done is join the storm cloaks and do the college of winter hold quests, and i can't remember, but i think I'm like, level 7 or something

MushroomGenius

dude, krosis is in the main quest line i think, i haven't even started that, and all I've done is join the storm cloaks and do the college of winter hold quests, and i can't remember, but i think I'm like, level 7 or something

Krosis is up at Shearpoint I think. Not really part of the main quest, but he won't be much easier at this point.

While Krosis' staff may not be feasible, the idea of using a Staff is. A staff doesn't deplete your magicka pool, so you could resort to this in those times when you're waiting for your magicka to replenish.

Eludwyn

Nahkriin is the one in the main questline, krosis is optional. He's on top of Shearpoint next to the word wall. Krosis is do-able if you know the safespots that you can run and lure him to.

stagnant94

Nahkriin is the one in the main questline, krosis is optional. He's on top of Shearpoint next to the word wall. Krosis is do-able if you know the safespots that you can run and lure him to.
ok, however i may have discovered this too late as i am currently stuck in a tomb with a level 30 dragon priest murdering me every 20 seconds

Eludwyn

Not really part of
While Krosis' staff may not be feasible, the idea of using a Staff is. A staff doesn't deplete your magicka pool, so you could resort to this in those times when you're waiting for your magicka to replenish.

The sanguine rose could be used here, to summon a dremora to do a bit of damage and soak up morokei's hits. You get it from A Night to Remember.