I just had a "No way" moment followed by "#@*# YEAH!"

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I just became a Vampire with Dawnguard and I was a Werewolf beforehand. Naturally, I had to purge my Werewolf blood to be a Vampire. I accepted that loss. However, I forgot I had my Ring of Hircine equipped. I decided to try it, just to see what would happen.

It WORKED.

I did not expect it at all and I was stoked. I don't even care if this is common knowledge by now this just put me in such a good mood.

Ignami351

INFP of the Blue Variety
......what worked? you just said "it worked" judging by how you said this i'm assuming this means you're a vampire lord AND a werewolf..?

if so, that's a pretty awesome breakthrough. don't think I've seen that before. good on you :)

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
Hope ure online soon and wish u put up more info but if u mean what ignami thinks then I will be awaiting ure reply like an expecting father. :D

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I looked this up on the internet and apparently it is a glitch. So it might not happen again if you play with another character. It is cool though, being a hybrid. One of the few Skyrim glitches I actually like :D

Shadow King

I hope someone can confirm this as I dont want to do all the companions questlines just now to find out it doesn't work. I sure hope it still works though

Shadow King

I don't think it will.. I found several people on the internet who tried it but it didn't work.

Aww no fair lol thanks for the info :D I could have played my vampire diaries hybrid aswell lol.

JayW

I don't know how I feel about Hybrids. On the one hand it would be cool to be able to play as both a Vampire Lord and a Werewolf at the same time. You might get a bit overpowered with your abilities but there are so many ways of becoming overpowered in Skyrim so why not allow us another one.

But then I remember the simple pleasure of picking a side and sticking to it. Its nice to feel invested in a team. When asked which football <or insert other sport here> team you support, who out there picks every team in the league or division (just so that you can be guaranteed to have picked the winning team)? Does anyone really want to be able to swing a mace, a sword and an axe in each hand all at the same time?...No because its just silly.

The only conceivable way I'd be happy about being both a vampire and a werewolf at the same time is if they incorporated it into the story somehow ... and not in a positive way. Vampires, Werewolves and plain old humans should look on Hybrids as the abominations they are. Acquiring such powers should entail that everyone in the entire world be out to get you, hunt you down and want to burn your corpse before the disease infects any other poor misguided soul.

Vampires get snarky comments about looking pale, Werewolves get comments about hair growing out of their ears, Necromancers are followed about by moaning corspes ... as the saying goes "with great power, comes great responsibility", being a Batdog should be hell.

That said ... yay new exploit. Unfortunately I believe that Lycanthropy will cure vampirism if you've managed to trigger it or vice versa. You can do a swap once easily enough but one or other power will quickly disappear and then you need to traipse after Serana (Blood potions also work) or Aela (one time offer unfortunately).

Okay I read all these now lol. I thought saying I decided to try the Ring of Hircine would be enough but I guess not. That's okay though :D I used the Ring of Hircine power to try to become a werewolf after becoming a Vampire with the Dawnguard DLC. It worked. I only get one transformation per day though (like regular Beast Form) instead of unlimited like I did before I purged. (Whether having unlimited through the Ring was a glitch or not, I dunno). I did all the Companions quests because I wanted to be a werewolf and then I got all the Totems of Hircine. This was a difficult decision for me. Being Hybrid, though, I kinda like it. I don't see much trouble about "picking sides" because the Companions and Vampires aren't really going after each other (yet, in my game, at least).

JayW

I looked at trying to get access to both powers at the same time a while ago and it only ever seemed to appear as a glitch, that went away after a while playing. The Ring of Hircine power is a once a day power that is only accessible to those who are already werewolves. Although the power is supposed to only be available once a day, taking the ring off and putting it back on again should reactivate the power - unlimited transformations.

I'm not sure but you may have found a bug where Harkon has cured you of Lycanthropy but the Ring of Hircine doesn't register that you are no longer a Werewolf - ie you have access to both powers but not to beast mode (ordinary lycanthropy). You should not be able to use the ring to turn into Werewolf unless you are still a werewolf. That or turning into a werewolf should cure you of Vampirism - hence you shouldn't have both powers. If you were to take the ring off and put it back on again you may lose one or other of your dual abilities altogether (so I suggest saving before you try it out).

coinop25

Neat find. Are you able to remove the Ring of Hircine and put it back on to use the power again later, or do you need to keep it on permanently to keep its power?

I have been using a different hybrid glitch – described at http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1447673-werewolf-vl-hybrid-glitch-question/ – which requires you to really line things up properly between the Dawnguard and Companions quest lines.

I normally avoid glitches and cheating because I find it takes me out of the story and can often feel overpowered. (Oh man, the inner turmoil I experienced when I found out you could make game-breaking gear with a series Fortify Restoration potions!) In this case, though, I find it just makes the game more fun for me. It's pretty easy to imagine narrative explanations for why my character would do this. After all, he's already conquering every guild, learning every Shout, and accumulating as much wealth and power as possible so that he's strong enough to prevent the end of the world, no matter what the personal cost. Of course he would try to get Hircine arguing with Nocturnal over where his immortal soul should go, and of course he would cut a deal with a vampire to delay that argument.

As for the gameplay ramifications, I don't find it overpowered at all. I guess that's because what you do in your transformed shape doesn't help you gain normal experience/perks, and also because the penalties offset the bonuses. Werewolves can't ever get resting bonuses. Vampires get a ton of bonuses and a ton of penalties that pretty well balance out. (You can opt out of both most of those vampire bonuses and all of those penalties with the glitch I'm using as long as you never feed in humanoid form, but I don't feel like the bonuses you are left with – Vampiric Sight and ability to profit from Necromage – unbalance the game noticeably.)

I could cure vampirism and werewolfism right now and the only real impacts it'd have on my play is that I'd spend less time seeing in the dark, I'd level faster, and I'd lose the option to eat everyone in the room when I get bored of sword fighting. That's a good option to have when you're level 70 and just want to mix things up every now and then.

I can take it off and put it back on, so far. (You kind of have to when you become a werewolf) but I also switched rings for a time and when I put it back on, I still could become a Werewolf.

I like the gameplay of being a Hybrid because my roleplay for ALL transformations has always been "Only do it when you panic" which means, if I am thrust into a particularly strong fight with no one to help me (for instance, I jump down a cliff and my followers have to take the long way then all of a sudden there is a troll there). I always only do it in tense situations. The hybrid thing makes it more interesting because it means that his transformation could be either one (I choose at random) :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts