I have a problem... called Restartitis

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TiTANx

Elder Scroll Mind Control
I didn't think it was a big problem.. I didn't think it would effect my life. I thought everything was okay...

My brother warned me about it, but I just shrugged it off. I thought I was enjoying myself.. Who was I kidding?

After investing many hours in completing Skyrim's main quest and faction quest lines, I wanted to start a fresh new character and keep my love for this game alive. I was able to run around Oblivion with no apparent goal and was completely immersed in everything it had to offer. I sit here typing... as I have just created a new character for the hundredth time, yet again watching Lokir from Rorikstead get dropped by arrows as he's running away, listening to the Nords in Helgen yell at the Imperial Army, watching Alduin save my life, for the hundredth time.

I can't seem to stick with one character. I establish a back story, plan out my play style, pwn suckas in the Helgen keep, grab my preferred stone on the way to Riverwood, kill the lone wolf on top of the hill on the way to Whiterun, don't play for a couple days and end up creating a new character with a new back story and a new play style.

I asked my brother to charge me a dollar every time he'd see me with a new character.

Let me tell you, I just left my job, and I'm out of dollars.

Anything I can do to make myself want to stay with one character? I really miss playing Skyrim.

Eleidon

The Psijic Chimer
Pretty humorous, but I understand the feeling. You have your 'main' character, which you've devoted serious time to and have become accustom with. The perks, the power, all the bells and whistles. I just suggest making a clean slate and sticking to it until level 25. It's always slow rolling at the start, but after you pick up momentum, you should find it much more enjoyable.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
Aye, I've always enjoyed my tradition Warrior archetype in every RPG or MMO I play.

2 handed Axe wielding Nord who dominates all who oppose him.

But regardless of the fun I have with him - everybody feels like they need to explore Skyrim with a whole new outlook.

The Warrior is created, but I got bored one day.

So I made two other characters, A Rogue and a Mage, which are the 2 other bases everybody chooses from in the beginning of the game.

Now, I've always been a pure archetype player - which means there's no in between, If I'm a Warrior, I'm just a Warrior - I don't use any magic, I don't use archery, and I don't sneak. I never enjoy hybrid characters for some odd reason.

Anyways, I know the feeling - I have dealt with restartitis many a time. Yet I always feel compelled to stick to my Warrior because I have always ever used him.

What I found was this:

My Warrior has always and will always be my main character, when I get bored and desire a new style of play I will switch to the other two depending on my mood. I will usually enjoy this character for maybe an hour or so until later getting bored - and I'll just go back to my Warrior.

Others ways I have dealt with restartitis, especially when I played Lord of the Rings Online, is if I felt the urge of stopping and creating a completely new character, I would just shut the game off, and do something else - because obviously I was bored if I was thinking of creating a completely different character with a completely different style of play. For example, you posting this thread shows that you are bored right now, you don't want to play your main character, and you don't want to create completely new ones - so you've found something else to do without doing either of those, yet are still expressing how severe this disease [restartitis] is for you and how you want to combat it.

Sorry if that was confusing - let me just clarify:

My suggestions when you have restartitis:

1. Create 1 or 2 base characters with completely different playstyles that you can delve into if you are to get bored of your main character.

2. Shut the game off, and find something else to do, maybe even wait a day.

Hope this kind of helped.

Moris

I'll tell you what my doctor always tells me:

Ice
Rest
Ibuprofen

Soon enough the swelling will go down, the pain will lessen, and you'll be back to your old self.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts