• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Volanere

Grand Magister
So i used the Oghma Infinium to rank up a mage, and of course i went to level 81. I know its not cool and it ruins the fun, but being a mage could be pretty badass. Ive never played a mage in any of the elder scrolls and wanted to see what it was like. What are your thoughts on people that level like this? (I kinda feel bad)

Saozig

Hippy
I won't judge you. If that's how you want to play the game, then hey, go ahead. I have never used an exploit like that to level up that quickly--at most I've exploited trainers who were also vendors to get y money back. :p But since I almost always abandon characters once they get too powerful, I'm not much a fan of leveling up quickly.

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
Welcome, Lord Molag Bal, I hope your thirst for knowledge has now been satisfied by my master's Oghma Infinium, that is how I reached maximum power in magic and I never looked back, the pathway to power should be not be slow, embrace the swiftness of knowledge (In Herma-Mora voice)
In all seriousness though, there is nothing wrong with it, it's an exploitable glitch, mages can be annoying to level anyway when around level 45.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
Initiative is the mother of exploitation...

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

I think it's perfectly alright. If you find that leveling to 81 quickly and saving time is the way to go, then fine by me. It's your build, your business, and the choices you make affect only you.

Maybe that sort of fast leveling will wear on you in time, or maybe it'll be your permanent method. I say repeat it until you feel that it's harming your gameplay experience.

jRi0T68

I used it on my most recent character, but only to get smithing and enchanting to 100. Smithing seems much slower on the latest update, and I've done it the right way enough to feel I could take a short cut. The other skills that leveled with those 2 would have been leveled anyway. I just fast-forwarded the process.

Edit: Clarification, I stopped once smithing/enchanting were at 100.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Personally, I think it's cheating. I think it ruins the fun of the game. But that's just me. It's your game, you can do what you want. But it does kind of annoy me.

On games like CoD, I hate cheating. A singleplayer game is one thing, but doing a prestige glitch or unlocking all guns is too far, especially when it puts you at an unfair advantage.

OutKast

does the exploit only work on a certain platform, or across all platforms/consoles?

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

does the exploit only work on a certain platform, or across all platforms/consoles?

Across all of them, I think.. Although I haven't been able to perform the glitch post-patch 1.8. I think it's my fault, as the Wiki says it's possible with the Dragonborn DLC.

OutKast

thank you Daedra....I think i may try it. I've done a couple different builds already. But i've only gotten as high as a lvl 32 with a Nord. Wouldn't mind a little bit of an "accelerate" to get to that level again so I can pick up where i left off! :)

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

thank you Daedra....I think i may try it. I've done a couple different builds already. But i've only gotten as high as a lvl 32 with a Nord. Wouldn't mind a little bit of an "accelerate" to get to that level again so I can pick up where i left off! :)

Yeah, it can get tempting sometimes.. Going through the old button mashing of striking Shadowmere over and over again, casting muffle for 12 minutes, holding up your shield until your block is 100, conjuring bound sword, etc. It can all get pretty exhausting if you've made a lot of builds.

Oh, and you can go the 'Bugs' section of this article to see which platforms the glitch works across, for each separate patch downloaded.

Oghma Infinium (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

Man, as an old school gamer, my opinion is this...you spent $60 (or whatever) on that game, play it how you want to. It isn't online MP, so you're not hurting anyone else. Personally, I miss the days of the cheat code, and being invincible with unlimited ammo/magic/power/whatever. So have fun. And use plenty of "Summon Dead Thrall", its loads of fun.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Man, as an old school gamer, my opinion is this...you spent $60 (or whatever) on that game, play it how you want to. It isn't online MP, so you're not hurting anyone else. Personally, I miss the days of the cheat code, and being invincible with unlimited ammo/magic/power/whatever. So have fun. And use plenty of "Summon Dead Thrall", its loads of fun.
Game Genie. I used to love my Game Genie.

But, to be fair, games back in the day were much more finite than they are today. Once you've beaten a game X amount of times, it's nice to change things up.

However, I do strongly support the idea that you paid for the game, it's a single player game, you should do what you like! Different strokes for different blokes.

Volanere

Grand Magister
I think I don't feel as bad about it now.

sticky runes

I've never tried it before. I might give it a go with one of my newer characters, because hey, why not have a bunch of games that you play sensibly AND another couple of games where you cheat, just to see what kind of experiences you're missing out on? No harm in that. You can just RP that you're a mage who has stumbled upon some great secret that allows you to gain instant power and knowledge and plops.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I just installed a mod from Steam that places a standing stone in Whiterun that when activated, assuming you are level one, raises you to level 50, 100 in all skills with 49 perk points to spend.

At this point you will never level again and all that's left to do is just enjoy the game. I'm trying this on a barbarian type, since I've done every quest line across a dozen characters, and wanted to skip the tedium this time around!

I am not ashamed!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts