• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

itchymonkey

There are many thing you've said that have already been explained in the previous post, I'm not sure if you are accidently reading them out of context. I'll try to answer your point separately to clear any confusion.

This entire thread is probably one of the funniest that I have read in the forums here in a while. The people complaining?...well they got banned. lol Whether or not you believe you shouldn't be banned is your own opinion. They own their site and if they don't want you there then so be it.

I just explained that the discussion is not wether they have the right to do stuff on their site, I believe they can do anything they please at their site. What we are discussing, is wether their methods are entirely logical and if their methods are clouded with personal motives.

The logical fallacy of your comment is that nobody criticizes Nexus. The reason is because when they do, they also get banned. If you want to laugh at them, that's up to you, if you think they deserve it, well, you might need to do a bit of thinking.

Since your not a lawyer, I guess you don't understand that they are liable for the content on their site and can be sued by the copyright holders. Bethesda sends them stuff all the time that must be taken down or be liable.

I actually perfectly understand that copyrighted content affects their site. Which is what I said on my previous post that I take copyrighted problems seriously. I said I was not a lawyer was because I can't identify all the copyright problems with the files I put in my mod 100% accurately. I try my best to make sure they aren't copyrighted through common sense, but I can't be certain on my own.

'You' uploaded a mod that in the second paragraph of the very first sticky (under rules and regulations) it specifically says that you can not do what you did. So you didn't read the rules like you said you did. If Bethesda came after them for people porting audio/intros or whatever from Morrowind to Oblivion, why would you think that it is ok to do it from Oblivion to Skyrim? I understand you made a mistake and since you were freshly banned maybe should have waited a bit after filling out the form and then coming over here to bitch at them. That won't help your cause.

The sticky threads are shuffled around from top to bottom depending which has the most recent replies to it. As of posting this reply, it's back at the bottom of the group of stickies again. Can you see how easily this could have been missed by a first time applicant?

I've given the admins a reasonable amount of time to read my appeal form which was about 1 and a half weeks (which I still consider 'fresh'). During that time though, I was browsing the internet for alternative forums and sites and stumbled on this one. Since the Nexus forums stated that if they don't reply, the ban would likely be permanent, I decided to settle down here and tell my story.

Why I thought it was acceptable to transfer Oblivion themes into Skyrim came from 3 things though. (Because I don't have the benefit of a lawyer to sit next to me all the time)

1. I had seen similar mods on the Nexus that transferred Oblivion themed material over to Skyrim. Wether they were deleted or not after I saw them I couldn't tell, but at the time I saw them, they were freely hosted on the site, and I assumed it was acceptable by example.

2. Using some common sense reasoning, I used an Oblivion theme that was from Youtube, a public domain. Given that if having Oblivion themed material for free in a public area and Bethesda, having the complete power and right to make Youtube take them down with a single letter, but choosing not to, made me conclude that Bethesda probably decided that it was okay to have the theme in a public domain.

3. I am technically not porting content from another game because the music in question was performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, which made their own inspired version of the theme to be played at a public concert. So this specific version of the song is not actually found in the Oblivion game.

If the conclusions I made are flawed, it's up to you, but at least I tried my best to make sure I wasn't doing something bad. I'm certainly not trying to force copyrighted material on to the site which is what you've been implying.

The rules, like I've also said before, were all split up into different threads instead of being combined into one thread. Nexus seems to be unique in this fashion for making so many threads in a rules section compared to so many other communities I've been in that uses one single thread to explain everything that is needed to be said.
I've been in an art community, several games communities involving basic modding and some communities about music, but they don't divide their rules section into so many threads. Realistically people would most likely have the same experience I do with reading rules in one thread and would assume Nexus has the same structure as other sites.

I would think that if copyright infringement is that important to them, it would make sense that they put those in a place that is readily accessible and easy to see for first time members.

If I owned a mod site, I would do the exact same thing. Follow the rules or be gone. I don't think they are too worried about you. I am not going to get sued because you uploaded copyrighted material onto my sight. I'm getting it off and banning you for doing it.

Start your own website and make your own rules!! Once you get the hammer down on you from copyright holders you would change your attitude very quick.

Your logic is a bit skewed, because you're implying that I want a website that allows copyright infringing material to be hosted, which is not true and has been explained beforehand.
What I'm saying is that I don't see how banning people is seen as a more effective way of controlling copyright when giving a stern warning and removing the file easily accomplishes the same thing (especially if the person is a new and a non-repeat offender).
Both stops 'copyright infringement', but the latter preserves your modding community and allows it to grow as modders learn what is allowed or not.

If you had your own website, you should consider:
*What's the logic of banning a person who is not a repeat-offender?
*What's the logic of banning a person from downloading mods afterwards? (Downloading mods is not a copyright crime, unless you plan on uploading that mod somewhere else and claiming ownership, but that's jumping to conclusions because most people just want to download mods to mod their games)
*What's the logic of banning someone because of something they said? Is it related to copyright infringement?

Regardless of your opinions of me, this is what I have offered in my form to the admins:
*I identified the possible cause of my ban.
*I offered a reasonable solution in exchange of having my account unbanned. (which was that I would not upload anything at all because I didn't want to cause trouble).

If that sounds unreasonable to you and if you think that doesn't solve the copyright issues the admins have with me to keep me permanently banned, then please feel free to elaborate.

Lemnisc8

Bunny Protector and Thalmor Killer
Ah itchymonkey.

How nice it is to read a well thought out, well presented and logical post such as yours. I can certainly empathise (uk) with your position here, being that I have been in one similar situation, however far more serious.

Whilst site owners are held liable for the content posted on the forums, I believe the point you are trying to make is that of Nexus banning process, yes? If a user uploads copyrighted material, whilst it is Nexus' responsibility, they do not NEED to insta-ban members to uphold their legal requirements. The infringing content can be taken down, and the user WARNED not to make re-offences, and this should 'satisfy' the copyright owners, all without any banning.

Good forums will always warn first and ban second, simply because banning members can affect the user base (in some cases, significantly), and this is especially true to new members who can (and do) make mistakes. It's entirely possible (under certain conditions) for a close group of very talented modders to be effectively wiped out if a crucial member is banned.

I for one wish that every member who joins my forum (unrelated to this one) reads all the rules in the same way that itchy did, but it's just not the case these days. Even in the case of an offense, my forum follows very specific procedures regarding the banning of members, even in severe cases. Trolls can usually be spot from a mile away by judging previous content (if any), language, respect for others, general tone and attitude.

If a member should break the rules, then a warning is sent. Crucually, with that warning is a guideline of how not to re-offend and a link to the >full< site rules, as well as further suggestions based on whatever they have been warned for (in my case, warnings are sent out mainly for copyright and plagarism). Then if that person re-offends, you know you have done your best to encourage your community, rather than diminish it.

I have to agree with itchymonkeys post almost in it's entirety, the Nexus way of dealing with things seems to be over-the-top, and possibly motivated by (and this is purely conjecture) wanting to 'control' in some form the mods that are on their site through a restrictive member base. I'd be interested to see if a member (who has posted say 20 mods) who is banned for 1 mod, has all previous mods removed, for example.

Yes, they may be well within their right to do an insta-perma-ban. But just because they CAN, doesn't mean they SHOULD.

That's my thoughts on this subject.

What mods was your group responsible for?

If they are popular mods, perhaps you can make an independent website and promote it through youtube and such to attract traffic and new modders alike.

You do not understand they violated our rights. They released private information on the site. They listed our members, their IP's and their names and steam accounts. People could find out where our members lived, who they were, and their personnel contact information. We are planning something against the Nexus we will use our experience against them as they broke the law.

If you want to join our protest against the Nexus email me at
skymfom@yahoo.com

If you hate the Nexus you don't have to agree with them you do not just have to live with it.

itchymonkey

You do not understand they violated our rights. They released private information on the site. They listed our members, their IP's and their names and steam accounts. People could find out where our members lived, who they were, and their personnel contact information. We are planning something against the Nexus we will use our experience against them as they broke the law.

If you want to join our protest against the Nexus email me at
skymfom@yahoo.com

If you hate the Nexus you don't have to agree with them you do not just have to live with it.

Oh. I didn't know that they released your steam account details and IP addresses. That's quite serious.

In an unrelated note though, a few days ago a friend of mine was banned because he asked where he can get the latest update for Skyrim in the Nexus chatroom. He got instantly banned before he could ask further by an admin in the same chatroom. The admins claimed that he owned a pirated copy of the game. They reasoned that only pirates ask for updates to their games (because it's not automatically updated on Steam).
It turns out he was actually referring to the 1.4 beta update for Skyrim (which isn't available unless you check the 'beta testing' box in the account settings in Steam) and he didn't know how to get it.
He even offered to add the admins to his friends list on Steam so that he can prove that he owned a legitimate copy Skyrim, as Steam lists all the games bought by people on your friend's list.

He never got a reply yet, and it seems that the ban is permanent. I don't know if the admins haven't gotten around to reading his appeal form yet, or if they are trying to hide the fact that they made a mistake though.

You guys noticed the terrible load times and un-responsive behavior from Skyrim Nexus. That was me...
For example

They tried to fix it by changing IP and domain to skyrim.nexusmods.com
did not work
for we continued
a user quoted

"Unfortunately, the performance is even worse for me than before.
Eternal load times and loading errors. It is currently almost impossible for me to visit the Nexus website."

Its a message and until the Nexus stops playing it off like it isn't then we will continue.
The majority of users at the Nexus hate the moderation staff and we are doing something about it.

inthepastxx

I was also banned from nexus. My reason is for posting videos of the mod I was talking about. Now I'm not allowed to talk on the site. It makes me angry because the modders gave me permission to post the video links on their mod, and yet the admins over there didn't care.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I hate Nexus too. They denied me an account but what do you have against right-wing conservatives?

They tend to favour social management via force, the threat of punishment and the Rule of Law, which tends to create societies of milk-drinkers and plops-eaters. Respectfully.

I have read enough of the Nexus owner and his lackeys to get a good picture of what kind of folks they are , at least online.

TO ALL WHO COME HERE TO DEFEND THE NEXUS IN ANY WAY

1. Go Away
2. If 1. didn’t work: READ CAREFULLY:

The issue is that the Nexus Punishers ban people's IP address on a whim, which prevents them from downloading mods which are unavailable (so far) elsewhere. It isn’t about privilege to post in their prison forums.

This is not done with the mod developers' explicit consent. The modders seem to be posting their mods there to ensure visibility. Somehow these guys have established a monopoly on mods, but that will soon change.

The Nexus got too much in their hands and they basically have to limit traffic on their site, hence the carpet-banning. Definitely need for an alternative mod repository.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I understand you made a mistake and since you were freshly banned maybe should have waited a bit after filling out the form and then coming over here to bitch at them. That won't help your cause.

You do not understand much at all ... The Nexus is over there if you like punishment and copyright so much.

MonkeyShoulder

Skullrattla

True enough, there needs to be another mod site that, and whatever site it is will need to engage in a lot of SEO to get a large web presence quickly.

Also like the nexus it will need to allow for more than just one game.

edit:

You know its funny but for a site that goes apeplops at the drop of a hat they seem to have allowed a lot of my little pony mods... would be a shame if someone reported them to hasbro for allowing trademark infringing on their website.

Drake

I'd just like to add that while it's true there are currently no sites that are close to truly competing with Nexus, there are several smaller sites that have the capabilities of hosting modifications. Heck, I'm a moderator at Elder Souls which started out as a primarily RPG forum/help site with unique guides. Its recently narrowed its focus to Skyrim for the time being, as that's what most are currently playing. Anyways, the Administrator just installed an upload/download system for Mods after receiving requests for it.

As others have said, there are also alternatives at places like Curse. It's just a matter of getting the majority of modders to take action on their complaints and just go elsewhere; the problem isn't a lack of alternative sites.

johnybfly

i am ip banned from nexus is there anyway i can fix this i got banned for saying "i like Lydia's boobs" xD lol there so retarded with there rules

Succubus Armor by Hentai 1dot2 at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

Got perma banned for giving my opinion at Skyrim Nexus about hentai content.. i now see the error in my actions but at nexus the ban warriors never forget as they wield the power of GREYSKULL! So yea tried foolishly to create another account to apologize although i was very angry and they banned my ip.. sigh!

So yea if any of the moderators ever somehow randomly stumble upon this message!

- who the hell is trolling who?"
"Take your lore-mongering trolling with ya'
Banned.
-LM"

P.S a note to nexus

"The site is so communist it's not even true, even though i admit what i said was totally wrong and stupid, perma ban and ip ban just shows me that your a bunch of kids with the illusion of power! you might have the last say, but after everything has died and gone you will be remembered as the guys who banned opinions but lets children add content like this.."

MonkeyShoulder

Just so you all know, if you ever see a "loli" mod at nexus, then that is against UK law and reporting it would get the nexus shut down ASAP for CP.

WaltC

I hate Nexus too. They denied me an account but what do you have against right-wing conservatives?

Heh...;) This kind of behavior sounds much more left-wing, to me...;)

Also, alternatively, the Steamworks Workshop contains a great many of the Nexus mods--didn't see that mentioned in the thread.

Interesting thread. My opinion follows:

I've never been banned from Nexus, but then I don't post on the Nexus forums, I just go there to download mods. Thanks for the heads up--looks like I'll continue to do so. Their banning behavior sure seems harsh, according to this thread. Also, in the event of a modder accidentally using copyrighted textures or other such elements, it sometimes isn't evident when a texture is copyrighted and when it is in the public domain and available for free usage. Usually, at least in the US with the DMCA (which generally I'm no fan of), it does require that a copyright holder be the one to issue a take-down notice to a site in the event that he sees his material being used without permission. It is not up to the site to police itself, thank goodness, or no site operator would ever have time to get anything done or to enjoy life...;) But that's in the US under the DMCA. In other countries, I really do not know what the laws are regarding such events. I don't know what country has jurisdiction over the Nexus site.

It seems to me that taking down the mod containing the copyrighted material, provided the take-down notice can be verified as legitimate (it's always surprising to discover that the company who issued a take-down notice had no right to do so because it didn't actually own the IP in question), would be sufficient "punishment" for a mod maker and I see no reason to ban modders for first offenses of this nature. Second offense--banning is probably in order because then he's placing too big of a burden on site resources--and he should have learned better the first time, etc.

If you can't get to Nexus, check out the Steamworks/workshop...!

EMINEMTheFallenAngel

I AM NO NOOB >:|
Thank you everyone who posted on this i haven't been on this site in forever and when i come back i see everyone has been banned which makes me fell not alone and as i always say retard admins are retard.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts