• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I tried using the new ipnow.com but when i went to nexus and tried to create a new profile it doesnt show the verification option in the registration, so you cant even re register

Are you sure you cleared your cookies before ?

If yes,then try another proxy system. In the end you could just go to an internet café for an hour and download what you want if you don't know anybody else.

itchymonkey

I'm also a freshly banned member from nexus. I got banned for creating a mod that changed the Skyrim intro music to the Oblivion theme. I wrote a long appeal letter, but they don't seem interested in lifting my ban.

However one of the things they listed on the appeal form instructions was written like this:
"If you understand why you were banned and believe you have learnt from your mistake then write a genuine letter of apology here and a moderator may reinstate you based on your actions."

Which to me sounds like they want you to do some begging or pandering to the mods to let you back in. It probably doesn't mean it that way, but it's what it comes off as.

"This form will only work once and communication is one-way; you will not be able to converse with the moderation team so put everything you think you need to in to the fields below."

This second set of instructions is also difficult swallow because it seems to me that the moderators don't really want to justify their bans to the individual users and aren't interested in coming to an understanding with the affected user.

The admin and mods are free to run the site as they wish, but merely owning a site doesn't mean that the rules and moderation techniques are entirely reasonable. There is a 'zero tolerance' policy on the website for copyrighted material, but there's also apparently a "zero distinction" policy between deliberate malicious pirates (who do not want to pay for anything) and people who want to positively contribute to the modding community, but uploaded a mod that has copyrighted material that they are not aware of.

Either way, I was addressed like a criminal and had my username posted on the banned forum with a moderator comment mocking what I did as if I was a banned trophy to be displayed. It was quite unprofessionally handled by the mods, and it's quite unfair that they are free to make personal insults on your ban publicly, but you have to appeal through private channels on a one-way communication system if you want to initiate dialogue. If a user is not clear headed enough to write a well written response, the moderators will post that response on the banned forum to further mock that user, almost none of the actual level-headed appeals are posted, which gives an unrealistic impression that every user who gets banned are irrational and juvenile.

The knee-jerk reaction to instantly ban someone for a small upload is counter-intuitive and makes little sense. On one hand, they disallow voting below 9/10 on all mods (and ban users who vote lower) to encourage new modders to make better mods, but on the other hand bans are instantly slammed on new modders who upload a mod (that they deem), are against their rules. It creates a barrier for people (like me) who are new to the modding scene, and who are very likely to make mistakes with their first uploaded content. It will ultimately discourage them from making mods and integrating into the community. At the very least the moderators could have removed the file and given a warning to the user, especially when the user is a new modder. Clicking 'ban' on whenever they feel something is amiss gives the impression of lazy moderation work to me.

I do make efforts to read forum rules when I join a new community, but the rules and regulations on the Nexus boards are not very user-friendly and are divided into many sub-threads instead of a unified thread where everything can be read in one place. Many people are going to try to read that one important thread to try to get the general idea of how they should conduct themselves and move on to make mods.

It's also strange that when someone is banned that they are locked completely out from downloading mods, for whatever that reason is, it is a very illogical policy that has no relevance on piracy or copyright issues.

Anyway I will end my 'rant' of sorts with a copy of my appeal letter, as an online 'insurance' to help justify my position and proof. As of present my ban remains though.

Hello,

I've noticed that my account has been promptly banned following an upload of a mod for a theme music replacer for Skyrim.

I'm a bit confused if I was banned for copyright infringement, or if the upload material was not up to modding standards. If it was the former, I was under the impression that the Oblivion soundtrack is a copyright of Bethesda, and materials under Bethesda's umbrella were free to be modded and ported between their games. Soundtracks from Oblivion, Morrowind and other predecessor games are known to be freely ported to Skyrim.
I understand that this site takes copyright infringement seriously, but I have to comment that the instant-ban policy is a bit excessive, when the offending file could have just been removed and a stern warning given, so that new modders like me aren't discouraged and feel unwelcomed by a sudden ban. (It's just a comment though, and you are free to run your site as you desire, but it's something to consider.)

However, I cannot give the moderators an apology because my actions were not of malicious intent. I only uploaded to contribute to the modding community, learn the ropes of basic modding and to help enrich other people's playing experience.

I cannot apologize for ignorance, because I made the effort to read carefully the rules and agree to them and I cannot apologize for the upload because I carefully considered if the content was appropriate for copyright before posting.

However if my account is reinstated, I can come to an agreement that I will not upload any more content to the site as to avoid further conflict/confusion. It will be a download-only account. It will be simpler that way for both the moderators and me to deal with as we have differing views on copyright allowances.

I hope this appeal does not make me sound arrogant, but I had to make it clear that I don't deliberately break rules for the sake of doing so and I take them seriously.

Regardless, here's a summary of my appeal:
* I believe my ban has something to do with copyright infringement.
* I do take the rules seriously
* I do not agree the the ban was fair
* However, I will agree to not upload any content in future to avoid any more misunderstandings.
* I would like to have my account reinstated.
* I will keep my account as a download-only account so that I can download mods from others.

It's unfortunate that this is a one-way conversation, but I hope that you will consider my letter.

Thank you

Oh and also, Hi! I'll be a new member to your community! :)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
itchymonkey
oh wow. People really need to hear this :S I just use Nexus to download mods and nothing else so I don't have a full grasp on this but this internet injustice needs some attention. Glad you found this site though. Hopefully, you'll find here way more open and accepting than there :]

itchymonkey

itchymonkey
oh wow. People really need to hear this :S I just use Nexus to download mods and nothing else so I don't have a full grasp on this but this internet injustice needs some attention. Glad you found this site though. Hopefully, you'll find here way more open and accepting than there :]

Indeed. It's unfortunate that Nexus maintains a virtual monopoly on the modding community only because nobody has set up an alternative website.

Shoor

Clan Thu'um Guard
True. I've never been on the Nexus forums, but from that link posted earlier, yikes. Kind of lol'd tho. Fragging mlik-drinkers.

VictoireXII

Crazed Skyrim Photographer
That's why mainly so far, I have only used my nexus forum account to download mods. My brother tried to register for an account, but he was denied for no apparent reason.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
OK, THEY ARE A BUNCH OF SAD f***fS WITH NO REAL LIVES AND PSYCHOPATHIC-SADISTIC TENDENCIES. This is my opinion after reading the above and a bit more. They get off on their petty little official roles with their banhammers which are kept up their tight a-holes when sheathed.

They ban people not just from posting in their anally retentively censored forums, THEY BLOCK PEOPLE'S IP ADDRESSES FROM BEING ABLE TO DOWNLOAD MODS.

They basically assume ownership of the mods and the right to decide who is allowed to download them.

I am taking this up with as many modders as I can, people should start making these mods available elsewhere. Ideally, a "weekly pack" on bittorrent, I would if my ISP didn't severly throttle BT uploads.

Somone should regularly upload mods and updates to bittorrent, if it's not already being done.

I look forward to hearing modders' opinion on this. When you upload your mod to the Nexus, do you agree to allow the Nexus to control who is able to download it according to their rules?

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Hi itchymonkey, you don't sound like a troll to me but like a very nice and intelligent person indeed... Thanks for posting.

itchymonkey

Hi itchymonkey, you don't sound like a troll to me but like a very nice and intelligent person indeed... Thanks for posting.

Thanks, I just felt that my story needed to be heard.

I don't take lightly to accusations of being a pirate and I don't appreciate the moderator's less than mature handling of users whom they choose to ban. Additionally, I never challenged their rules, I agree that piracy is wrong. What I do challenge however, is the unequal implementation of these rules, and how the administrators seem to let their emotions and ego get in the way of the impartiality needed for moderating a site.

From what I was told, the administrators are relatively older men (probably in their late 40's early 50's), which may be a factor because the apparent age gap makes them feel justified talk down to us, and treat us like children.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
They also appear to be conservative right-wing in their mentality....

I looked at the Permissions for a mod or two and they seem to be either in the public domain, or free to use but not modify. So these guys are basically abusing this and in a way owning the software.

I was a the leader of an underground modding team on the Nexus we remained anonymous and had strict rules for our memberss to follow. The nexus released our group information to the public and listed our members. We had radical views and we openly hated the Nexus staff. 33 percent of the top mods on their site were produced by our group. They falsely accused me and my top associates of breaking thier rules. They openly broke the one and only rule we stood by, our rule was in place to give courtesy to our members and they broke it. Me and my team are removing all of our files from their sites because it is increaseinf their trafic. The Nexus has viotated our rights and their is no excuse.

We worked for free and they showed no respect
Because of that we hate them.
All of our members were experienced moders priviously banned by the nexu
We worked to show them that we were still alive and capable of making mods
They supported us
Then as soon as they found out we were a group of previously banned members making mods and geting others to upload it they banned us. Theyfalsely accused us and said we broke rules rhat were not even stated anywhere.

Down with the Nexus.

So yes this is my reinduction to the forum an in case you are wondering, yes we have gotten the group together onlyto be torn apart by the people who held us down for so long.

itchymonkey

I was a the leader of an underground modding team on the Nexus we remained anonymous and had strict rules for our memberss to follow. The nexus released our group information to the public and listed our members. We had radical views and we openly hated the Nexus staff. 33 percent of the top mods on their site were produced by our group. They falsely accused me and my top associates of breaking thier rules. They openly broke the one and only rule we stood by, our rule was in place to give courtesy to our members and they broke it. Me and my team are removing all of our files from their sites because it is increaseinf their trafic. The Nexus has viotated our rights and their is no excuse.

We worked for free and they showed no respect
Because of that we hate them.
All of our members were experienced moders priviously banned by the nexu
We worked to show them that we were still alive and capable of making mods
They supported us
Then as soon as they found out we were a group of previously banned members making mods and geting others to upload it they banned us. Theyfalsely accused us and said we broke rules rhat were not even stated anywhere.

Down with the Nexus.

So yes this is my reinduction to the forum an in case you are wondering, yes we have gotten the group together onlyto be torn apart by the people who held us down for so long.

What mods was your group responsible for?

If they are popular mods, perhaps you can make an independent website and promote it through youtube and such to attract traffic and new modders alike.

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!
Lulz, banned. Proving our point, no?

Spenny

Mod Developer
I guess I've always looked at websites like houses. Step in one, and the owner can tell you to get out, for any reason.

Maybe the owner wants you to juggle bananas while balancing on a walrus as a communist panda with chainsaw arms breaths fire and attempts to make a mid-air bananas foster. Maybe they just want you to obey rules which you think are asinine.

But you stepped in, so if they don't want you there, they have any and every reason to tell you to leave. If that's the case, why do you want to be there?

itchymonkey

I guess I've always looked at websites like houses. Step in one, and the owner can tell you to get out, for any reason.

Maybe the owner wants you to juggle bananas while balancing on a walrus as a communist panda with chainsaw arms breaths fire and attempts to make a mid-air bananas foster. Maybe they just want you to obey rules which you think are asinine.

But you stepped in, so if they don't want you there, they have any and every reason to tell you to leave. If that's the case, why do you want to be there?

That's fine and all. If they want me to leave their 'house' it's their business. However, going about telling the rest of the guests that the person is a convicted criminal when they are not and posting their picture on a wall for everyone to see, is really going beyond their boundaries. It doesn't however, mean that they are reasonable, which is what everyone on this thread is saying.
We certainly don't want to be there, but the fact that they have a complete monopoly on all the available mods out there doesn't exactly give us a choice.

An analogy to add to yours, would be that they have the ONLY house in the entire world that has the facilities to meet up with other people to share your products. In this case, the house is more like a marketplace. However, the host requires you to 'juggle bananas while balancing on a walrus as a communist panda with chainsaw arms breaths fire and attempts to make a mid-air bananas foster'.

Some people can do the trick just fine, then you have people (like me) who accidentally drop the bananas because we made a mistake and aren't good at acrobatics and not because we don't want to do it.

So the owner kicks the person out, calls them criminals, and in addition to that, assumes ownership of their products (mods) when it technically doesn't belong to the admins to begin with (and it's not stated anywhere in their rules that they automatically assume ownership of your mods if you are banned). This is where your analogy to the real world kinda falls apart, because even in the real world, you can't simply ask a salesman to leave his products behind to your ownership merely because he's was standing in your house (unless you've paid for it of course).

There are limits to what you can do to people in the real world for stepping in your territory and it's the same reason why asking people to juggle bananas on a panda doesn't exist in the real world.

Analogies aside though, you are under the assumption that most of the people banned are at fault for somehow disrupting the community or generally trying to do something bad. That is not the case and my post above has explained that the admins are careful to 'censor' the actual legitimate claims while making the illegitimate ones public. Which keeps the user base in relative ignorance.

In my case, it has something to do with the content of my mod containing copyright infringing material. Which I can accept is a mistake, but it's not something I intentionally wanted to do to just so that I can cause trouble. Hence why I believe the ban and the public smearing, is excessive.

The problem is, the site places the responsibility of recognizing copyrighted materials firmly on the modders rather than on the admins who should be explaining in detail what they allow or disallow on a single thread that is easy to read and follow. Making mods based on a common-sense approach to copyright laws can only take you so far, as copyrights itself is a very complex subject.

Modders like me don't come pre-programmed with legal expertise and we certainly aren't lawyers. New modders are very likely going to create mods that mistakenly contain material which they are not aware as copyrighted. Calling us idiots and banning us is really pushing it, but calling us deliberate pirates and posting our names on the site to be mocked, is overstepping their responsibilities as admins.

Spenny

Mod Developer
That's fine and all. If they want me to leave their 'house' it's their business. However, going about telling the rest of the guests that the person is a convicted criminal when they are not and posting their picture on a wall for everyone to see, is really going beyond their boundaries. It doesn't however, mean that they are reasonable, which is what everyone on this thread is saying.
We certainly don't want to be there, but the fact that they have a complete monopoly on all the available mods out there doesn't exactly give us a choice.

An analogy to add to yours, would be that they have the ONLY house in the entire world that has the facilities to meet up with other people to share your products. In this case, the house is more like a marketplace. However, the host requires you to 'juggle bananas while balancing on a walrus as a communist panda with chainsaw arms breaths fire and attempts to make a mid-air bananas foster'.

Some people can do the trick just fine, then you have people (like me) who accidentally drop the bananas because we made a mistake and aren't good at acrobatics and not because we don't want to do it.

So the owner kicks the person out, calls them criminals, and in addition to that, assumes ownership of their products (mods) when it technically doesn't belong to the admins to begin with (and it's not stated anywhere in their rules that they automatically assume ownership of your mods if you are banned). This is where your analogy to the real world kinda falls apart, because even in the real world, you can't simply ask a salesman to leave his products behind to your ownership merely because he's was standing in your house (unless you've paid for it of course).

There are limits to what you can do to people in the real world for stepping in your territory and it's the same reason why asking people to juggle bananas on a panda doesn't exist in the real world.

Analogies aside though, you are under the assumption that most of the people banned are at fault for somehow disrupting the community or generally trying to do something bad. That is not the case and my post above has explained that the admins are careful to 'censor' the actual legitimate claims while making the illegitimate ones public. Which keeps the user base in relative ignorance.

In my case, it has something to do with the content of my mod containing copyright infringing material. Which I can accept is a mistake, but it's not something I intentionally wanted to do to just so that I can cause trouble. Hence why I believe the ban and the public smearing, is excessive.

The problem is, the site places the responsibility of recognizing copyrighted materials firmly on the modders rather than on the admins who should be explaining in detail what they allow or disallow on a single thread that is easy to read and follow. Making mods based on a common-sense approach to copyright laws can only take you so far, as copyrights itself is a very complex subject.

Modders like me don't come pre-programmed with legal expertise and we certainly aren't lawyers. New modders are very likely going to create mods that mistakenly contain material which they are not aware as copyrighted. Calling us idiots and banning us is really pushing it, but calling us deliberate pirates and posting our names on the site to be mocked, is overstepping their responsibilities as admins.

I don't think you'll find I make any such assumption about anyone who has been banned on the site actually deserving it for being subversive (besides those who post specifically to troll and get banned).

With that out of the way, having just sat down and read the Terms & Conditions of their site, I agree that yes, most of the language is arbitrary and seemingly unfounded. And there are gaping loopholes which would allow them to do whatever it is they want with uploaded content according to their whim.

Please do not feel as though I am defending the administrative staff's actions, only pointing out that it is within their power to do whatever they choose with their members accounts (and unfortunately, it appears their content, through loopholes pervading the "your content, your ownership" clause they have) because these users have Agreed and consented to be governed by their set of rules while on their site.

It does seem that there are a multitude of what we would call poor or rash decisions which are made by the moderators and staff of that site. And to address your copyright issue, I believe that the "heat" originated from Bethesda themselves actually contacting Robin Scott and the Nexus (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm sure someone swiftly will) with issues with mods like Morroblivion as well as FO3 and FO:NV. Heck, New Vegas even included resources which were unused from FO3, and Bethesda has decreed that even using those in NV modding is illegal and against copyright.

This would lead me to think that Bethesda has a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Nexus. They love to see their work expanded upon, but hate to see copyright violations. Naturally, this puts Robin Scott and the Nexus in a precarious position as you stated earlier, being 'the spot' to publish mods, and at the same time, being under scrutiny and the watchful eye of the developers (and their legal team). This doesn't account for all of the tomfoolery, but it likely accounts for the massively hardliner stance on copyright materials, and unfortunately, banning users who make mistakes, not knowing there is an issue. Unfortunately, it's not really the responsibility of anyone else to state what is and is not a copyright violation, Bethesda's EULA's, and applicable law/statutes do that.

Nexus became "the hotspot" because of the userbase, and the slowly increasing exodus will reverse that just as easily, it only takes time. As for me, nothing I've ever/will ever mod(ded) has or will be put up on Nexus because of these arbitrary rules and semi-longstanding complaints of concerning actions by staff.

I don't mean to offend or disrespect any of you, as I too, do not agree with many of their actions.

Cheers,

Spenny

Drep

This entire thread is probably one of the funniest that I have read in the forums here in a while. The people complaining?...well they got banned. lol Whether or not you believe you shouldn't be banned is your own opinion. They own their site and if they don't want you there then so be it.

Since your not a lawyer, I guess you don't understand that they are liable for the content on their site and can be sued by the copyright holders. Bethesda sends them stuff all the time that must be taken down or be liable.

'You' uploaded a mod that in the second paragraph of the very first sticky (under rules and regulations) it specifically says that you can not do what you did. So you didn't read the rules like you said you did. If Bethesda came after them for people porting audio/intros or whatever from Morrowind to Oblivion, why would you think that it is ok to do it from Oblivion to Skyrim? I understand you made a mistake and since you were freshly banned maybe should have waited a bit after filling out the form and then coming over here to bitch at them. That won't help your cause.

For the other guy in here who posted that WWII mod, i'm sure, since you were the modder that the image textures you used were copyrighted correct? Did you ask permission to use them?

If I owned a mod site, I would do the exact same thing. Follow the rules or be gone. I don't think they are too worried about you. I am not going to get sued because you uploaded copyrighted material onto my sight. I'm getting it off and banning you for doing it.

Start your own website and make your own rules!! Once you get the hammer down on you from copyright holders you would change your attitude very quick.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts