PS3 How to use Soul Trap?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TGW

I just purchased Soul Trap and went out hunting in the plains around Whiterun all night long. I caught several game with my bow and arrows and even managed to fill some soul gems from measely wolves in close combat...

However, not once was I able to figure out how to get Soul Trap onto a deer/elk etc before I shoot them dead. Is it even possible to cast Soul Trap onto prey at a distance?

If not, does it mean I have to sneak up to them and somehow manage to get Soul Trap cast onto them before finishing off in close combat?

Also, how do you find the version of Soul Trap that will allow you to enchant a weapon with it?

Thank you!

Perchta

I haven't tried the bought spell yet, but I know that you if you use perks on your enchantment skill you can enchant weapons with soultrap. Also, if you disenchant a weapon that has soultrap, you acquire that skill.

TGW

I haven't tried the bought spell yet, but I know that you if you use perks on your enchantment skill you can enchant weapons with soultrap. Also, if you disenchant a weapon that has soultrap, you acquire that skill.

Thank you. I didn't know that you could unlock that ability with your perks. I'm definitely going to do that!

@ thatcanadian: you buy it from the wizard Farengar (SP?) in Dragonreach (Whiterun). Just talk to him and ask what he has for sale. It is one of the spell books you can buy. After you buy it, read it from your inventory and you'll instantly know it.

TGW

thanks i tried to buy it because i turnd into a vampire and needed it bad had to restart must have missed it
Bummer!

@anyone: I'm still wondering if it is possible to cast Soul Trap at a distance to game I'm hunting by bow and arrow? Thanks! :D

3v3r

I have scale-itch... Don't ask how I got it.
I bought my spell from the Mage in whiterun I can cast it away I don't need to touch enemies with it. Is that what you mean?

TGW

I've tried to cast it on deer/elk etc at a distance since as soon as I approach, they run off. Even though I have them perfectly lined up in my reticle, the spell doesn't actually hit them. I'm thinking it might be d/t distance but am unsure. I've even followed up after trying to cast the spell on them from a distance with a killing bow short and no luck, I didn't get their soul.

Perchta

Thank you. I didn't know that you could unlock that ability with your perks. I'm definitely going to do that!

@ thatcanadian: you buy it from the wizard Farengar (SP?) in Dragonreach (Whiterun). Just talk to him and ask what he has for sale. It is one of the spell books you can buy. After you buy it, read it from your inventory and you'll instantly know it.
i just went and looked again last night, and i think i gave some misinformation. looks like you can use perks to get soul siphen which recharges enchanted weapons (does not give you the ability to enchant soultrap) :{ sorry

TGW

Ok, thanks for the update. I went ahead and got myself the bound sword spell so it's awesome. I also bought an enchanted weapon that has bind in it. I have now enchanted my mace with it so that I'm capturing souls everytime I kill something with it. I can't wait to add that to my bow next.

Death_Storm369

Soul trap you have to be touching or at least very close to your opponent to trap them, you will know cos their bodies have a slight purple glow to them, although this glow is sometimes hard to see

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
IMO it's better to get a weapon enchanted with soul trap and to disenchant it to learn the enchantment then enchant a melee weapon and bow with soul trap. Even with low enchantment skill, since you are hitting the creature all the time it will constantly be under the effect of the soul trap spell, and you will trap its soul.

I almost exclusively use a bow enchanted with soul trap to get souls from deer and elk. They run as fast as you do, if not faster, and spook easily so you can end up chasing them endlessly only to lose them to a bear or wolves if you hunt them with a melee weapon.

TGW

IMO it's better to get a weapon enchanted with soul trap and to disenchant it to learn the enchantment then enchant a melee weapon and bow with soul trap. Even with low enchantment skill, since you are hitting the creature all the time it will constantly be under the effect of the soul trap spell, and you will trap its soul.

I almost exclusively use a bow enchanted with soul trap to get souls from deer and elk. They run as fast as you do, if not faster, and spook easily so you can end up chasing them endlessly only to lose them to a bear or wolves if you hunt them with a melee weapon.

I think this is the best tip so far. I wish I had known this was possible before I started this topic. Last week I found a weapon with bound on it and immediately purchased it, destroyed it and added to my bow and mace. It's amazing.

EMINEMTheFallenAngel

I AM NO NOOB >:|
Ok equip it then use it one a enemy then when u kill them a empty soul gem in your inventory will be full but u have to have a empty soul gem for it to work some times it says idk like dragon is to powerful for soul trap

TGW

Ok equip it then use it one a enemy then when u kill them a empty soul gem in your inventory will be full but u have to have a empty soul gem for it to work some times it says idk like dragon is to powerful for soul trap

I don't know about the dragon thing you mentioned but otherwise, yes to what you said. I've wasted some bigger soul gems though by trapping something small inside of it so be careful.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can prevent specific gems from being used by accident (other than leaving them in a chest or at home etc)?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
some times it says idk like dragon is to powerful for soul trap
You're wasting charges using a weapon enchanted with Soul Trap on a dragon. As dragonborn you automatically take their soul for use to activate your shouts.
On a side note, does anyone know if you can prevent specific gems from being used by accident (other than leaving them in a chest or at home etc)?
There is no way to prevent a smaller soul from occupying a larger soul gem if you run out of the appropriate size empty soul gems.

Note that there is a bug regarding filled soul gems and containers where they become empty when you take them back into your inventory. If you make sure you have no empty ones of the same type in your inventory when you take them back from the container this will usually not happen, but you should save your game before you remove filled soul gems from your containers just in case.

TGW

There is no way to prevent a smaller soul from occupying a larger soul gem if you run out of the appropriate size empty soul gems.

Note that there is a bug regarding filled soul gems and containers where they become empty when you take them back into your inventory. If you make sure you have no empty ones of the same type in your inventory when you take them back from the container this will usually not happen, but you should save your game before you remove filled soul gems from your containers just in case.

Great tip, thanks. I'll have to try that the next time I goof.