How to make a Dragon priest mask / makeup

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morganatic

Kinetically-Interlinked Nirnian Multi-User Exoform
make oneeeee! seriously sculpting is pretty therapeutic :>

I can definitely attest to this - after a long day spent working/writing/studying etc, it's really nice to spend some time doing something physical/artistic, and sculpting's great for this. Uses a different part of the brain or something equally pseudoscientific - but maybe it's just therapeutic, as you say.

A couple of things/questions for you, though - if that's OK!

- have you given any thought to weathering/distressing the surface of the mask slightly? At present, even when painted and hand-made (very impressed that you did the whole video in so few cuts, by the way!), it's still got quite a smooth/plastic-y finish to it, which is really hard to avoid using craft/household materials. Maybe add a few chips/streaks/areas of discolouration, to give it that antique patina/sense of age. I say this - I have real trouble doing just this, so I'm being fairly hypocritical telling you to do it.

- is Sculpey worth it? I keep seeing it in art shops and thinking I should get some, but always end up getting Milliput instead - it's denser and quite a bit more expensive, but a bit less brittle and can give you some really nice 'craggy' textures. I kinda feel that the fact that it dries as the epoxy hardens rather than in the oven limits it though, and judging by what you've done, Sculpey seems pretty damn cool.

And as to the creepy stuff from elsewhere - come on, leave it out :sadface:. Can we actually talk about the art, and not have to put up with misogynistic comments about the people who make it?

Tanya

Sculpey is pretty awesome, in my opinion. It holds well and sticks to itself well. I'm no expert though.

Exelex

I like the elf ears and something else.

The question I want answered is how to levitate like a Vampire Lord/ Lich/ Dragon Priest?

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
I like the elf ears and something else.

The question I want answered is how to levitate like a Vampire Lord/ Lich/ Dragon Priest?

Get really tiny thin like string and hook it to yourself and get lots of smoke XD

Kidding. I'd like to know that myself..

Error

I can definitely attest to this - after a long day spent working/writing/studying etc, it's really nice to spend some time doing something physical/artistic, and sculpting's great for this. Uses a different part of the brain or something equally pseudoscientific - but maybe it's just therapeutic, as you say.

A couple of things/questions for you, though - if that's OK!

- have you given any thought to weathering/distressing the surface of the mask slightly? At present, even when painted and hand-made (very impressed that you did the whole video in so few cuts, by the way!), it's still got quite a smooth/plastic-y finish to it, which is really hard to avoid using craft/household materials. Maybe add a few chips/streaks/areas of discolouration, to give it that antique patina/sense of age. I say this - I have real trouble doing just this, so I'm being fairly hypocritical telling you to do it.

- is Sculpey worth it? I keep seeing it in art shops and thinking I should get some, but always end up getting Milliput instead - it's denser and quite a bit more expensive, but a bit less brittle and can give you some really nice 'craggy' textures. I kinda feel that the fact that it dries as the epoxy hardens rather than in the oven limits it though, and judging by what you've done, Sculpey seems pretty damn cool.

And as to the creepy stuff from elsewhere - come on, leave it out :sadface:. Can we actually talk about the art, and not have to put up with misogynistic comments about the people who make it?

Thank you so much for this well thought out response !
this is to answer the weathering and here are some pics
EDIT (2).JPGmask.jpg so you can see small chunks carved directly out of the mask .... paint made to replicate tarnishing silver it is hard to tell here but i had sprayed in a brassy color along with a sea foam green to have that statue of liberty style rot look and of course followed the eye hallows and corners with a matte black in areas of the mask i used my thumbs and knuckles to sculpt impressions in the clay so that it would look like the masks were hammer forged .

i FULLY recommend sculpey ... it is chip resistant once cured .. very very strong ...does not crumble ... it also does not shrink once cured ... my only complaint about it is you NEED to use an acrylic base .. if you hit it with spray paint right away it stays sticky and ...gets really gross!

and to finalize this .. thank you for backing me up and once again thank you for asking questions! (please if you have a blog i would love to see your artwork!!!)

The mask is cool and you defianetly have artistic talent! I do think the top is revealing though...

Tanya

Honestly, I think she is showing no more skin than the men and women on Skyrim. I think she is a talented beautiful woman that is getting her chance to show her art. She worked hard to make this video for us and I appreciate it.

Dabiene Caristiana

Yea, take a look at the forsworn armor... Now THAT, is revealing :p:oops:

I think she's fine the way she is. You should post more ideas and cosplay. I would like to see some more videos and pictures of the stuff you make for skyrim :)

Okay... I'm a girl too. And frankly I would be embarrassed to post a photo with that much skin showing, and it's not like I'm a prude. I'm not saying you should sculpt in a sweater like you said before, it is summer, but a tank top would cover 85% more skin than that and probably be cooler.... Using your body to get more attention on your art is degrading.... Just let your art speak for itself, because it is very good.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Not sure what the difference is between that and a swim suit top or anything. It may be more revealing than some people are comfortable with themselves and less so with other people. All about personal tastes and opinion. But really, the topic is about that freaking epic mask. EPIC!

Dabiene Caristiana

Can we just skip the fashion choices? This thread isn't what it's about.. :/ Just saying. It's her choice in clothing. Leave out of it. Maybe she'll be more cautious next time since it's caused all this garbage and such to be thrown around. Again, only saying. Of course I'm a little slack and such on the fashion section of things. I just throw something on and walk out the door so to speak.

EDIT: Plus what Uth just said

Error

thank you guys :> for a small framed woman i have a large chest ... the chest piece i had made and sculpted over is actually humungous and for me full coverage (my buddy can wear it as butt armor).... womens swimsuits are worse than what i built and as for my normal clothing sorry if you do not like it ? lol it is how i dress... i am a 25 year old women and i do not really shop so often ... clothes shopping is not too important to me i would rather craft things than worry about new hip styles...and i hate to get into this but i have been generally wearing what is comfortable for me ... i need major surgery on my spine very soon so i am in a lot of pain also very ill.... it is easy to throw on a tank top or a guys undershirt ...keeps me from over heating or struggling to get into it (when you have hair as long as mine and big boobs yes you struggle to get into clothes .. it kinda looks like a giraffe giving birth) if you watch this video you will also see me covered in sanding dust and getting paint on my self and i REFUSE to sacrifice my awesome t shirts to paint ! (i love my dorky t shirt collection) and moving on this is not a video about clothing at all so i do not see what all the crazy concern is ... i am just showing you all the mask and how it is not too difficult to make as long as you put a little time into it ....so keep on topic if you have questions about crafting a mask .. or applying makeup .. here i am ... if you want to nit pick my fashion sense or body shape ... GTFO :>

Look theres a difference between using your body to get attention and being comfortable with yourself. I wear swim suit tops but I don't post photos of myself in them... And I never said the mask wasn't cool. It is.

Dabiene Caristiana

How do you know she is trying to get attention? You aren't her and you can't exactly know the truth unless she goes under a lie detector--- ok wait a second. Now I'm getting caught up into this mess. :p

Anyway!!!!

Yes, very good mask indeed. And for the hoody, what fabric did you use exactly? Is it cotton? It looks silk like though idk.. Hard to tell.

thank you guys :> for a small framed woman i have a large chest ... the chest piece i had made and sculpted over is actually humungous and for me full coverage (my buddy can wear it as butt armor).... womens swimsuits are worse than what i built and as for my normal clothing sorry if you do not like it ? lol it is how i dress... i am a 25 year old women and i do not really shop so often ... clothes shopping is not too important to me i would rather craft things than worry about new hip styles...and i hate to get into this but i have been generally wearing what is comfortable for me ... i need major surgery on my spine very soon so i am in a lot of pain also very ill.... it is easy to throw on a tank top or a guys undershirt ...keeps me from over heating or struggling to get into it (when you have hair as long as mine and big boobs yes you struggle to get into clothes .. it kinda looks like a giraffe giving birth) if you watch this video you will also see me covered in sanding dust and getting paint on my self and i REFUSE to sacrifice my awesome t shirts to paint ! (i love my dorky t shirt collection) and moving on this is not a video about clothing at all so i do not see what all the crazy concern is ... i am just showing you all the mask and how it is not too difficult to make as long as you put a little time into it ....so keep on topic if you have questions about crafting a mask .. or applying makeup .. here i am ... if you want to nit pick my fashion sense or body shape ... GTFO :>

That top is not full coverage.... I'm not nit picking you or criticising your body. I'm just saying that's not a tank top or guys undershirt. It's basically a bustier.

Error

The only ones trying to get attention in this thread are the ones causing trouble making this thread all about them .... Does anyone who posts a thread about something automatically fall under accusation of trying to get attention? lol .. no ... and sweetheart i have no reason to draw attention to myself ... like i said before, if i just wanted attention i would not spend 35$ on sculpey, 50$ for different kinds of paints 20$ on different tools and brushes nor all that time recording me making something ...and if i wanted some form of attention .. you think i would jab myself in the eyes at the end of my video like a weirdo and ... i might as well put it out there but my hair is kinda ..full of what looks like disease ... you think i would have washed that drippy wig if i wanted guys to sit and drool over me LOL .... that is me .. and that is who you are going to get today ...tomorrow and the next day .. if you do not like it .. go somewhere else ... or make your own thread under guide lines that you make up in your head as more acceptable ... it is ok to have standards for things, feel uncomfortable, and disagree but no reason to be rude about it or bring an obnoxious amount of light to it when the whole beginning of this topic was swimming in the subject already ... it is over now ... people who are interested are now here and deserve to be answered for the on topic questions that they are asking ... you do not like tank tops ... gotcha, and later and Dabiene Caristiana the hood and the cloak that goes with it was from reems of real wool at the fabric store ...all the detailing attached to it is also from the fabric store you can buy it by the yard in coils ... there is also a fabric it is on the side straps of my chest plating i am wearing it has a dragon skin texture and is brown .. i believe it is couch fabric since it is so thick and strong but they sold this material at the fabric store along with faux ostrich skin ... black dragon skin .. the brown that i have ... and countless others , in another section they had faux fur pelts all rolled up .. also real bunny pelts ...(it was like a playground!)

That is not a tank top! Whatever, I'm out. Women like you are the reason that men think we all have no self respect. If you really want this thread to be about just your art how about next time putting on some clothes before posting photos? Your cleavage doesn't make me uncormfortable, I'm a woman, I have it too. What makes me uncomfortable is how blatantly you show it off... Whatever. There's no point in arguing this any further, I'm just giving you the attention you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts