How to be a mage very early in the game.....

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lurknir

There's only one hell, the one we live in now.
I need tips on how to handle being a mage at the start of the game.
I'm a high elf and I've just gotten to Riverwood.

What would you recommend I do?
  • Do the Faendal level trick?
  • Do the main quest up to where I get Unrelenting Force?
  • Do the College of Winterhold questline?
Or does anyone know a better and easier way of doing this?

Also what skills should I level up and what should I choose the most between magicka, health and stamina?

Thank you.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
My first question is: what is this "Faendal level trick" you speak of? If you mean the trick to get free Archery training, then why would you? If you're a mage then Archery levels are so-called "empty xp", that is, xp that doesn't actually help you.

Quest-wise, I recommend you just do whatever suits your fancy. That is the best way to start any character imo.

As for skills, Destruction is obvious as is probably Restoration. For other skills, I highly recommend Enchanting and Conjuration or Illusion. Conjuration and Illusion are both great methods of crowd control which is extremely helpful for a frail wizard. I'd recommend against using both as a combination of the two gets ridiculously overpowered quite soon. Then again, If you don't mind that, go nuts :D

You'll definitely want a lot of Magicka. When I play a mage, I typically start out with 2 magicka and 1 health for every three levels, then just pick what you feel is needed. Don't spend points on Stamina, it's basically worthless for a mage.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
I need tips on how to handle being a mage at the start of the game.
I'm a high elf and I've just gotten to Riverwood.

What would you recommend I do?
  • Do the Faendal level trick?
  • Do the main quest up to where I get Unrelenting Force?
  • Do the College of Winterhold questline?
Or does anyone know a better and easier way of doing this?

Also what skills should I level up and what should I choose the most between magicka, health and stamina?

Thank you.

Personally, this is the route I normally go:

Get to the College of Winterhold ASAP! And yes, pick high elf, that 50 extra magicka is a nice bonus to start off with. Go to Winterhold because as you begin to do the college quest, you get some nice attire with very helpful enchantments for a mage, like the Mage Circlet or Savos's Amulet (50 extra magicka). As you begin to level up, I normally invest in magicka and health, alternating between the two with each level.

Also, what schools of magic are you using? What normally helps me in fights since you are typically pretty weak in the beginning, is I use conjuration and destruction (I use sparks in the beginning). So I conjure up a flame atronach and then begin using sparks. So they'll be taking damage from the flame atronach and my destruction spells. If you are to run out of magicka, hopefully your flame atronach will pick up the slack. Also try and keep your distance to prevent from being hit as much. Some of the first perks I try to get are in conjuration and destruction to cut down my magicka cost for those spells.

Do not try to overcast yourself because you will run out of magicka. I saw a guy on another website who was constantly getting killed because he was attempting to cast magical armor (alteration), conjure an atronach, and then use destruction. You simply do not have enough magicka in the beginning to do all those things and you will be running away a lot or dying.

I normally wear armor, or get the Lord Stone (50 points added to your armor and 25% magic resistance added) to help you better take hits from enemies. If you do not want to wear armor, then you will need to invest in alteration. But I would hold off on that a little until you have more magicka, or else you will not have enough magicka to kill off your enemies without consuming a ton of potions, which is costly.

Always carry around some magicka potions. And NEVER forget your High Elf ability to regenerate magicka quickly, that's saved my ass a few times. Have fun!

Oh, and do you have dawnguard DLC? If so, will you be joining the vampire side? If so, do the quest to get the rings of ancient blood or whatever ASAP. Here's why: One of those rings is the Ring of Erudite or something like that. That ring gives you 100 extra magicka and helps you regenerate faster, and YES it does work even if you're not in Vampire Lord form. VERY helpful if you're a mage! Especially in the beginning. As a vamp you will also get a 25% bonus to illusion magic, if you're going that route. And if you get the necromage perk from restoration magic tree, your spells are even more powerful.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Also, I would invest in enchanting. You don't have to right away, but maybe around level 20. Once you get it all the way up, you have the potential to make two schools of magic cost NOTHING and be unlimited. Or you can spread it out accordingly to how you play, or whatever you want!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
What kind of mage are you planning to be?

- A Pure Mage uses NO armour, No weapons (bound weapons can be an exception although even they are sometimes too 'physical' for a Pure Mage).

- A Sorcerer uses Destruction magic with Heavy Armour and sometimes falls back on Conjuration. This is a good way to get used to being a mage character as you only focus on the offensive side of magic.

- A Spellsword uses Light Armour with a One-Handed weapon in one hand (usually a sword or Bound Sword), and Destruction magic in the other. They require a bit more mobility and thought than a Sorcerer and Illusion supplements them nicely for some crowd control.

- An effective way of playing a Necromancer is to get a Staff to raise the dead (as they dont turn to ash when they die...again) and Illusion or Destruction (Ice) magic.

So until know what type of mage you plan on using, its difficult to assist you as it is a very broad question. My advice is to play a Sorcerer until you work out a good offensive strategy, than bring in some Alteration and Restoration when you get comfortable. Maybe swap your heavy chest piece for some robes (keeping heavy gauntlets and boots) at some stage as well.

Twiffle

This, IMHO depends on how dedicated to grinding you are, , if you dont mind putting a few hours into Enchanting you will go far, my Mage currently level 49 has the following M,H,S stats, 100 magicka, 380 health and 200 stamina, and because i just did enchanting at the beginning my Destruction and restoration cost is zero, , hold a ward up for Dragons and mages, then just pummel them with anything i fancy because it costs nothing, and if i do get hit, well i am heavily buffed with health and can run for miles in robes with 200 stamina, , thats just my take on the early part, just grind enchanting, ,

thats my 2 cents, on another angle to play this wonderous game.

PS, , shes a Breton this time,

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I've never succeeded in being full mage at low levels. Once I get to higher levels, I convert successfully. One thing I did, which changed the game for the mage player, is the Dawnguard questline, first thing. That brings you to the Soul Cairn, so instead of scrounging for soul gems early in the game, you're basically set for life! That helped amp up enchanting early on, which snowballed, of course, to better mage enchantments in attire and better alchemy enchantments. "Fortify Destruction" is your friend in the alchemy world. You get some of that, your mage can possibly survive in early levels.

Cherry

I've never succeeded in being full mage at low levels. Once I get to higher levels, I convert successfully. One thing I did, which changed the game for the mage player, is the Dawnguard questline, first thing. That brings you to the Soul Cairn, so instead of scrounging for soul gems early in the game, you're basically set for life! That helped amp up enchanting early on, which snowballed, of course, to better mage enchantments in attire and better alchemy enchantments. "Fortify Destruction" is your friend in the alchemy world. You get some of that, your mage can possibly survive in early levels.

What difficulty do you play on? Because I've played a pure mage countless times on Adept difficulty, and never found it that difficult, even early on. Harder than a warrior, yes, but not by much.

Bulldog

My first question is: what is this "Faendal level trick" you speak of? If you mean the trick to get free Archery training, then why would you? If you're a mage then Archery levels are so-called "empty xp", that is, xp that doesn't actually help you.

You can use the Faendal archery training to get about level 7-9 depending on how you do it. That is 7-9 levels that you can invest in Magic or Health. Also 7-9 perks you have sitting around for when you get to that one skill you want, but otherwise wouldn't have a perk for. If you can take your magic from 100 (non high elf) up to 170-190 that is a vast improvement.

Bulldog

Some of the things I do first

Grab the novice hood and novice robes out of the jail cage in Helgen. If I am using Destruction more I will actually just go out and chase down wolves, deer elk, goats and other animals to help build up my destruction magic. If you are running just destruction for a while, when you come out of the cave at Helgen the first road on your left, go down it. When the road turns to the left, keep going straight up the hill to the shrine of talos. Up there you will find a few pieces of gold at the shrine and some bodies. If you go to the upper right place in the yard part there is a Thalmor that is dead. You can loot his body and get the hooded Thalmor robes that is 15 less off destruction. Of course you lose your novice hood and robes so remember that.

I always get a follower right off the bat. Either Faendal or Sven in Riverwood will work. They will help fight when you run out of magic.

Always carry magic potions for a while. Maybe some Health but always some magic potions, as you can always heal yourself. A few Health potions never hurt though, if nothing else so you can save your magic whilst fighting.

I always get my Magic up to 200 before I ever worry about Health or Stamina. Also unlike what was said before. I do invest some in Stamina as there have been times I have had to sprint from a fight to keep from dying.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Quick leveling: My trick

Get the Raise Zombie spell from the vendor and wander about the area killing and raising everything and then killing them again with destruction spells. I can get 10 levels in under 30 minutes just by doing that. Head up the mountain up the hill towards Helgen - guaranteed at least 2 bandits and usually more once you get closer to Helgen. Guaranteed 3 more once you head towards Falkreath and 5 more at the shrine (bodies that is) and two more between Helgen & Falkreath, a mage and a body, and 2 more once you get close to Helgen. None of them are a big issue (if you're low level, don't try Cracked Tusk or Pine-something-or-other (the cabin). You can get a total of 8 in the mine close to Riverwood as well. And let's not forget random encounters!

The main thing I remember is that: 1) Kill 'em, 2) Raise 'em and 3) Kill 'em again (preferably with Destruction but whatever your poison is - I do one handed as well sometimes just to raise it as well). I usually spend the first couple of hours just in that area raiding everything and everyone and raising 10-20K in cash and 10-20 levels before I do anything else.

Don't forget the other side of the river too! There's a witch, random encounters and a tower full of bandits there too!

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.

What difficulty do you play on? Because I've played a pure mage countless times on Adept difficulty, and never found it that difficult, even early on. Harder than a warrior, yes, but not by much.

I play on Master. I'll run out of Magica before I even make a dent in the opponent's health. A single rune will cost me everything before level 20 or so. I just don't stand a chance using Magica alone before level 40 or so. I have to resort to weaponry or DIE A TERRIBLE DEATH.

Cherry

I play on Master. I'll run out of Magica before I even make a dent in the opponent's health. A single rune will cost me everything before level 20 or so. I just don't stand a chance using Magica alone before level 40 or so. I have to resort to weaponry or DIE A TERRIBLE DEATH.

Well that explains it. I only start to crank up the difficulty at level 20-30 depending on my mood.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I will have to try this out. I have never gotten the hang of playing a pure mage. I think I will use Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion, Restoration, and Enchanting. Might also look to wearing Heavy Armor until I have enough magicka to cast a ___Flesh spell, conjure, and then either cast Destruction or Conjure. I might have to use Archery to fill those soul gems with a bound bow..... ;)

Get the Raise Zombie spell from the vendor and wander about the area killing and raising everything and then killing them again with destruction spells. I can get 10 levels in under 30 minutes just by doing that. Head up the mountain up the hill towards Helgen - guaranteed at least 2 bandits and usually more once you get closer to Helgen. Guaranteed 3 more once you head towards Falkreath and 5 more at the shrine (bodies that is) and two more between Helgen & Falkreath, a mage and a body, and 2 more once you get close to Helgen. None of them are a big issue (if you're low level, don't try Cracked Tusk or Pine-something-or-other (the cabin). You can get a total of 8 in the mine close to Riverwood as well. And let's not forget random encounters!

The main thing I remember is that: 1) Kill 'em, 2) Raise 'em and 3) Kill 'em again (preferably with Destruction but whatever your poison is - I do one handed as well sometimes just to raise it as well). I usually spend the first couple of hours just in that area raiding everything and everyone and raising 10-20K in cash and 10-20 levels before I do anything else.

Don't forget the other side of the river too! There's a witch, random encounters and a tower full of bandits there too!

Twiffle

Just on a side note, there is an alternative to using spells as a pure mage, and that is Staves, , but it is not easy, but the rewards are huge,, if you all want to know how its done just ask and ill post it,, but it is long and needs dedication,

Daelon DuLac

I will have to try this out. I have never gotten the hang of playing a pure mage. I think I will use Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion, Restoration, and Enchanting. Might also look to wearing Heavy Armor until I have enough magicka to cast a ___Flesh spell, conjure, and then either cast Destruction or Conjure. I might have to use Archery to fill those soul gems with a bound bow..... ;)

Since you level up so quickly with my method for the first 20 levels or so, I would take the Alteration perk to reduce the cost of the flesh armor spell (I think it's oak flesh) that you can get from the Riverwood Trader. It really helps. I get it even on my warriors since it adds so much armor protection. If you're going to wear armor, don't bother with the heavy early on. Just make some leather (it has an armor rating of 30 or 31 already and the flesh spell will make it at least 60 - the flesh spells still work when you wear armor, you just don't get the bonuses from the tree) and, once you get better flesh spells, you can ditch the armor. It's a waste for a pure mage to take perks in light or heavy armor tree since you'll need them for your schools.

Daelon DuLac

I've discovered that you can get some 50% vampire armor with either destruction or conjuration reduction within you first 5-7 levels if you wander about at night as well. Usually it's on either the vampire & his thrall set or on the single wandering vampire. Or you can just keep the robes you get at Helgen and the hood and use a flesh spell.

Daelon DuLac

Just on a side note, there is an alternative to using spells as a pure mage, and that is Staves, , but it is not easy, but the rewards are huge,, if you all want to know how its done just ask and ill post it,, but it is long and needs dedication,
So true. I've gotten to where, on my true mages (I won't say pure), I'll collect staves and use one in the left and a spell in the right. That way, even if your out of magicka, you can still cast something. I like to switch between the paralysis, zombie and fireball ones (although I do sometimes like to use the chain lightning one, but only if I don't have followers).

Twiffle

Ah yes, , chain lightening staff, a demonic tool even in the hands of the most experienced of mages, , RIP Sven & Lydia :D

Daelon DuLac

Ah yes, , chain lightening staff, a demonic tool even in the hands of the most experienced of mages, , RIP Sven & Lydia :D
And, for goodness sake! Don't ever give it to Lydia! She has awful aim! I have died so many times at her hands (not just with chain lightning - she's even bad with a fire bolt one).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts