PS3 How the hell am I supposed to get money?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I don't know if it's because of a patch or what, but farming is almost impossible (for the sane at least).

I make about a 10-20% profit each time I invest my capital. The amount of time it takes to get money is agonizingly slow. I don't want to do it. It's at the point where I would actually not give a crap if I had an infinite amount of gold, breaking the game. I can't even buy the damn breezehome.

Quests basically give you no money, and even enchanting the crap that you collect on you're travels seems to be a waste of time as you basically earn back all you're capital plus a profit so small its not worth mentioning.

There something I'm missing?

enfiniti

Ummm? What? Gold is easy to come by. My lvl 21 thief is rocking mid 20k right now. All i do is quest, sell stuff, take all gold pouches I find, etc. I buy nothing for the most part aside from stuff for blacksmithing and i always make sure to have something that increases my speechcraft or sell prices equipped.

enfiniti

Hmmm, i guess i could be a little more helpful than my previous post. I guess it may just be the type of character that you're playing. On my thief each quest i turn into the guild nets me around 400 gold, not to mention i'm usually carrying enough stuff to wipe out a vendor's cash before i'm out of loot, that's in between 1500 and 2000. I guess the main thing is I buy nothing aside from the occasional smithing supplies. That's probably why I have so much extra cash.

Wow...I said I guess three times in that post. My vocabulary is taking a day off...i guess... ;)

Moonwort

Smith Jewelry. Smith skill increase plus stuff to trade for money. Transmute + a few gems = cash flow.

Um?
11647954.jpg

I don't know what you are doing, but gold is so easy to come by. Seriously though, if you pick up all the loot you can carry on your journeys and take it back to town, it will come to the point where merchants wont have enough gold to buy all of your junk!

Also, hunting dragons has big gold in it. Thier scales and bones sell for a lot of money!

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Something that is huge cash is putting banish on iron daggers or any weapon for that matter and make it to be the highest level possible daidra you will be banishing. With this enchantment it makes it possible to buy soul gems and turn a profit that is like 200-300 gold each item at the minimum depending on your speech level. I recomend 50 so you can sell you crap to everyone and get a decent price.

Ironclad

Believe me, OP, you will soon have so much money you will be saying the opposite. You will have drawers bursting full of gems that you cannot be bothered to sell.

ah3nos

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. I have hardly sold anything. I'm level 43 now and have about 50k. I did the dark brotherhood quest line and now I get 1000 per contract and I can do unlimited assassinations. Join the thieves guild and dark brotherhood. Also, you find more gold when looting the higher level you are. I used to only find 8 to 10 gold on bandits, now it's 50 to 100.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
None of the patches did anything that effects the game economics.

1. It gets easier as you level because the quality of loot levels and increases in base value and your Speech skill levels for every trade transaction you make. Get a follower early in the game even if you don't want to use them in combat. You can use them as a mule to carry more loot when you reach your carrying capacity. When you are exploring an area you can order them to wait where they are and then order them to follow you again after you have cleared the area.

2. Keep a pick axe in your inventory. There are ore veins all over Skyrim and it's much cheaper to mine ore and smelt them into ingots to craft weapons and armor than it is to buy them. That will eliminate one potential money sink.

3. At Halted Stream Camp you can get a Transmute spell tome which allows you to turn iron ore into silver ore and silver ore into gold ore. Buy iron ore from every blacksmith and general goods trader that you encounter. Even with low level speech skill you can turn these over for a profit by using the Transmute spell to turn them into gold ore, smelt them into ingots, make 2 gold rings out of them, and sell them to a general goods trader or jewelry trader. This is also a good way to level your Smithing skill which will benefit any melee combat build. Because rings have little weight to them you can carry and sell them in bulk to general goods traders in excess of the gold they have by purchasing soul gems from the same traders to bulk up their gold reserves. This in turn can be useful to you if you want to level your Enchanting skill or just to collect souls to charge your enchanted weapons. It also helps you with the most profitable money making process in the game (see below).

4. By far, the most profitable transactions with traders come from selling custom made enchanted weapons. As Zoa noted above, the Banish enchantment is the most valuable enchantment that can be placed on a weapon, but weapons with the Banish enchantment wont show up in trader windows until you're around level 22. In the mean time Soul Trap is a good enchantment to learn since the easiest way to harvest souls is by killing them with a weapon enchanted with Soul Trap.

There are other ways to make money but that should be enough to accumulate a decent amount of gold over time.

Regarding getting a house, try not to get too focused on it. Until you can afford one, being a member of a guild will give you a place to sleep and a safe place to store your items until you can afford to buy one. Now that we can easily see the settings on containers using the Creation Kit, we know that cupboards, dressers, end tables, and wardrobes are containers that don't respawn their contents regardless of location so if you put your items in those types of containers in your guild that are not marked "Steal" they will be safe.

alsomdude2

Hard to get gold? I'm lvl 29 i have a home in whiterun and solitude with everything in them and i have 26k in my coin purse. Not bragging just telling you that gold is very easy to get.:cool:

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
Gold? Hard to get?! In just over 20 hours of gameplay, my alchemist has made over 130k total gold. About 60k went on lessons and I've got 68k sitting in my pocket. I also have 30-40k's worth of potions to sell, but I really cna't be bothered. Once you get to the high alchemy levels, making money's just too easy - Giant's Toe + Blue Mountain Flower + Bear Claw = worth something in the region of 4k for me with equipment. You can buy those ingredients for about 100 gold. :eek:

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
Murder, pillage, sell. Repeat as many times as necessary. You COULD grow potatoes, but this is Skyrim..not Farmville.

Stifmeister

Kill some giants and raid their camp treasure chests - usually good for a few hundred...did over a camp recently with two giants - looted about 250g off one and over 300 off the other. Then searched around for the storage chest which had another 300g. Nearly thousand quid for just for a bit of a fight. I know they level with you but it's easy £££. Don't forget giants fall over easy so get on the Unrelentling Force! (just read that back and it sounded like a double glazing ad).

If you get the golden touch achievement all those gold problems will go away.
Taking a few speech perks, doing the thieves guild quests to get fences is a good start for the money hungry adventurers.

Hunting for mammoth is also very large profit after clearing a few camps (lv 20 recommended for average players).
Now off with you! And always take as much as you can carry and a little more before entering a city :)

jmoonz9

go to a sawmill and get a woodcutters axe and then just chop wood for a long time then sell it to the guy near the sawmill that will buy it he does not have a gold limit as shopkeepers do so he will buy as much as you sell him so a chance for unlimited money if you have the patience also the dark brother hood quest line pays well not going to give anything big away but 20,000 gold for the final part.

BIGwooly

I think amassing gold is the easiest thing to do in Skyrim. Not sure what you're not doing. You can pick plants and sell them. You can chop wood and sell it. You can mine ore and sell it. You can collect loot in caves and forts and sell it. You can kill animals and collect their pelts/teeth/whatever and sell it.

I actually play with restrictions because gold IS so easy to come by.

whenever you do quests or go in dungeons collect all the light stuff that has decent value and search everything for gold. i had like 50k gold by the time i was level 30, including a full house in whiterun