• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

xsneakyxsimx

Depends on my character. One of my characters at the moment is a pacifist, so basically i have to run away and lead the dragon to populated areas, usually full of bunnies, but you need alot of bunnies to get stuck in a dragons throat and choke him, , but it can be done, although patience is needed, :p;)

NO!!! Not the bunnies! Why would you sacrifice the bunnies! :sadface:

Darth Brogan

Sith Lord
My mage can easily kill a dragon with dual-wielded Incinerate spell. The key is being able to stun. Unless you got some awesome arrows, archers are probably the worst.

-Mir-

Professional milk-drinker
Well, for this noob who has no fancy weapons and shouts, I have Lydia shoot arrows at them from afar while I just use magic of the opposite element from their breath and gradually approach them and then when they land I rush in and attack them with some kind of sharp weapon. It usually works with a few hits. A few times I've been eaten as I run toward the dragon's face though. xD

Or if it's a fire dragon and I'm feeling like something really epic, I poison my Ancient Nord Battle Axe of Cold and jump on its head for a finishing blow. lol :p

xsneakyxsimx

Well, for this noob who has no fancy weapons and shouts, I have Lydia shoot arrows at them from afar while I just use magic of the opposite element from their breath and gradually approach them and then when they land I rush in and attack them with some kind of sharp weapon. It usually works with a few hits. A few times I've been eaten as I run toward the dragon's face though. xD

Or if it's a fire dragon and I'm feeling like something really epic, I poison my Ancient Nord Battle Axe of Cold and jump on its head for a finishing blow. lol :p

Come here you overgrown liza... *proceeds to be eaten*

Depends on the build, but as this is a game about fighting Dragons, most of them have some way to go about it, or avoid the Main quest entirely. Which type of character works best? Archer, hands down. Stack up some Magic Resistance, and stay back from the physical attacks, puncushion with impunity.

The worst is probably the pure Melee'er. The Dragon doesn't have to land until you have Dragonrend, so prior to that, you spend a lot of time running around slowly in your armor with your weapons in hand, and waiting for a chance to counter-attack. I don't generally play these types. Even when I do, I get a good bow, and invest in some Archery because Here There be Dragons.

My favorite? Magic. Again, stack up those resistances, but the Mirmulnir combo is Lesser Ward, and Lightning Bolt. Even that puny little Novice Restoration spell blocks Dragon breath like nobody's business, but it drains a lot of Magicka, and takes a little while to charge up, so you really have to time it when he says "Yol,.." Once you get Ward Absorb, you don't need to upgrade it further, just use it to charge up your blue bar for some Thunderbolts. The nice thing is you can cast right through it, so you don't have to let it down until it pauses to take a breath.

The ultimate are my World Eater Cherry Tapper builds, which were designed for one thing, Alduin's Bane. I started a little contest on another forum to beat Him at the Throat of the World in as little time as possible at the lowest level with little to no equipment other than the Scroll, on Master.

And the winner is... Breton, Atronach Stone, double cast (Not Dual Cast, in both hands) Walls of Frost. Dragonrend, followed by Skin as soon as He THWOMPs down, hose his footprint with multiple instances of DoT that drains His Stamina so He can't take back off. Wearing nothing but a loincloth, He didn't last as long as the daily power, and was powerless to hurt me with 100% Spell Absorbtion. All He can do is Breathe on you, which just gives you more Magicka.
E9C4B242CF6912ED2F27A5345E9825004A8E52E5

xsneakyxsimx

Depends on the build, but as this is a game about fighting Dragons, most of them have some way to go about it, or avoid the Main quest entirely.

Which type of character works best? Archer, hands down. Stack up some magic Resistance, and stay back from the physical attacks, puncushion with impunity.

The worst is probably the pure Melee'er. The Dragon doesn't have to land until you have Dragonrend, so prior to that, you spend a lot of time running around slowly in your armor with your weapons in hand, and waiting for a chance to counter-attack. I don't generally play these types. Even when I do, I get a good bow, and invest in some Archery because Here There be Dragons.

My favorite? Magic. Gain, stack up those resistances, but the Mirmulnir combo is Lesser Ward, and Lightning Bolt. Even that puny little Novice Restoration spell blocks dragon breath like nobody's business, but it drains a lot of Magicka, and takes a little while to charge up, so you really have to time it when he says "Yol,.." Once you get Ward Absorb, you don't need to upgrade it further, just use it to charge up your blue bar for some Thunderbolts. The nice thing is you can cast right through it, so you don't have to let it down until it pauses to take a breath.

The ultimate are my World Eater Cherry Tapper builds, which were designed for one thing, Alduin's Bane. I started a little contest on another forum to beat Him at the Throat of the World in as little time as possible at the lowest level with little to no equipment other than the Scroll, on Master.

And the winner is... Breton, Atronach Stone, double cast (Not Dual Cast, in both hands) Walls of Frost. Dragonrend, followed by Shin as soon as He THWOMPs down, hose his footprint with multiple instances of DoT that drains His Stamina so He can't take back off. Wearing nothing but a loincloth, He didn't last as long as the daily power, and was powerless to hurt me with 100% Spell Absorbtion.
E9C4B242CF6912ED2F27A5345E9825004A8E52E5

Cool! I like the comparison of Mage, Warrior and Thief play styles.

With melee, I haven't really had that much of a problem. When they take off, I use that as an opportunity to heal and prepare for the next encounter. I like the long, drawn out battles with the ability for recuperation. I've done the Archer play style, and enjoy the whole planning before the attack methodology, but it goes out the window vs. a Dragon, in my case. I have trouble hitting them mid-flight with arrows, so I wait till they land/hover to fire.

With melee, I haven't really had that much of a problem. When they take off, I use that as an opportunity to heal and prepare for the next encounter. I like the long, drawn out battles with the ability for recuperation. I've done the Archer play style, and enjoy the whole planning before the attack methodology, but it goes out the window vs. a Dragon, in my case. I have trouble hitting them mid-flight with arrows, so I wait till they land/hover to fire.
That's why my weapon of choice is usually Lightning, it Hit-scans, meaning instead of travel time, it draws a line of site, and hits whatever's first in it's way like Bullets in Doom. Therefore, you don't have to lead the target, dragons, nor fleeing bandits, for that matter. Also, none of them are significantly resistant to it. If I have Spell Absorption, I just throw them alternating hands for maximum Rate of Fire, and soak up the Thu'um to keep going until they land. Then, hose-em. If you can beat down Dragon Priests, several have Staffs of Wall Spells (Fire, and Lightning, you have to find ones of Frost.)

Almost forgot the Staff of Jyrik Gauldurson, or "Lightning Spamming" as I call it. There's no warmup like regular lighting spells, so you can tap them off as quick as you can click. For when you absotively posolutely have to get the fight over with quick, accept no substitutes. They don't like the Staff of Magnus neither, but it's got wicked short range. Does power Destruction, or a Ward in the other hand, though. For Conjurers, Storm Atronachs are the best for Anti-dragon for the same reasons.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
(I've only experienced this technique with two-handed weapons, it may not work with 1 handed.)
As a Battle-Axe user, I have developed a rather useful little technique against all dragons, Especially useful on Master difficulty:

1. Dragonrend
2. Position yourself by it's wings or behind it's hind legs when dragon lands.
3. Use basic attacks on the dragon, the dragon will have to completely rotate around in order to inflict any damage whether that be biting or fire breath, you so you can usually get 5 or 6 solid hits in before your face to face with him again.
4. Back away just a little bit, because he almost always does a quick bite the minute his head is front of you.
5. After the bite, he will definitely breath fire, as the head goes up, time it good enough so you hit him with a side-ways power attack just when he begins to breath fire. Minimum to no health will be taken away from you, and he will sure be staggered.
6. Run around the dragon and get as close as you can to getting behind him as possible, whether it be perpendicular and your striking the wings, or even back near his hind legs.
7. He should be dead by the time he has to rotate all the way towards you again.

ThriceHeart

Last Hunter of Toru-Manawa
I just pop the dragon a couple of times with shots from my bow, then if the dragon goes for an Ice or Fire shout I would just use Unrelenting Force to stop it mid way while I continue to fill it with arrows. Once on the ground I would just hack and slash at it with timed blocks in between.

xsneakyxsimx

Have you successfully sneaked up on a mammoth?

For some reason I always get caught. But my sneak skill is far from 100, so that may be the reason.

Mammoth? No. Giant? Yes. So long as your quiet (Muffle enchant or Silence Perk), and you stay out of the sight range, you should be able to sneak attack just about anything. But, it's not guaranteed to kill them outright, so be careful.

Edit: But Sneak Skill is one of the main factors, so level as much as you can.

I just pop the dragon a couple of times with shots from my bow, then if the dragon goes for an Ice or Fire shout I would just use Unrelenting Force to stop it mid way while I continue to fill it with arrows. Once on the ground I would just hack and slash at it with timed blocks in between.
Yes, this. Just "Fus" is enough to interrupt them, and has a way shorter cooldown period. They usually fly off for another straffing run after that. Destruction mages can also use Impact, but I just time it for their shouts, then go back to casting it hand-to-hand for maximum fire rate, and better Magicka efficiency. That's assuming you aren't using infini-destruction enchantments, or Spell Absorbtion to power it. In the first case, just Impact them into submission. For the latter, you Want them to breathe on you to refill your blue gauge. With the Atronach stone, or just perks, a Scroll of Guardian Circle heals you some, while refilling your Magicka with the rest, which makes these fights downright easy. Dragon Preists, too. (Unless they have a Staff of the Storm Wall, that forces you out of what I call the Magicka Well.)

kyleekay

Simple enough. Which characters do you find are better at fighting against Dragons? Which ones have a tougher time?

Well the character I just created (that I'm spending the most time on) won't fight Dragons as I'm avoiding the main quest, buuuut, when I'm playing my Dark Elf I just stand there and shoot arrow after arrow at the Dragon. As long as it's a fire-breather, I'm good to go, given my natural resistance to fire + the boots I wear with 25% extra resistance. It's awesome, because their fire breath does basically nothing to me. :D

xsneakyxsimx

Well the character I just created (that I'm spending the most time on) won't fight Dragons as I'm avoiding the main quest, buuuut, when I'm playing my Dark Elf I just stand there and shoot arrow after arrow at the Dragon. As long as it's a fire-breather, I'm good to go, given my natural resistance to fire + the boots I wear with 25% extra resistance. It's awesome, because their fire breath does basically nothing to me. :D

I can just imagine your character saying "Come face me Dragon! Let me bask in you breath. Oh pl*ps, Frost Breath! Run, run, run."

Saozig

Hippy
My Bosmer and Redguard just attack with bows. Works well enough.

My Breton is the only one of my current characters that knows Dragonrend so she'll use that to land the dragon and then pummel it with a double enchanted warhammer.

My Dunmer will use a bow if the dragon is in flight but race in when they land and dual wield which is surprisingly effective with the perks and good 1H weapons. She's Dunmer, so she has natural resistance to fire, plus she has resist frost enchantment on her boots, and has a high armor rating, so she can get up close and personal and just slice away even as the dragon's bellowing fire or frost down on her. It's actually kind of fun.

San Abrusco

Watching you, all day, every day.
I stare them down until they submit. If that doesn't work, I threaten to devour their soul. They don't think I'm serious. They think I'm an average mortal. They are sorely mistaken. I then spam Dragonrend and beat the living daylights out of them with whatever weapon I have available.

So much spam, you just need eggs.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Arrows. Lots and lots of arrows. I'll occasionally walk up to him and give him a slap across his ugly face. That's usually when I get eaten.

Arrows. Lots and lots of arrows. I'll occasionally walk up to him and give him a slap across his ugly face. That's usually when I get eaten.
If you do that, use Power Attacks, and/or Bashes to stun him so he can't counter, then side straffe so he has to turn in place rather than snapping at you. He still has wing-slaps, but they're not as nasty as the bite, or tail lashes. This is Stamina intensive, but worth it for fast damage, and saving arrows.

If you get Windshear, you don't have to worry at all, just slash them to ribbons with normal attacks. As this comes from the same quest arc as the Blade of Woe (Not to mention the Anchient Shrouded Hood.) you can dual wield with that for quick healing sips before he recovers. Elemental Fury further accelerates this fighting style to the point that it's over before the shout (all three words) wears off, even with Elders. Once they're grounded, you're pretty much immune to retaliation because it has no chance to recover.