PS3 How do I marry Lydia, and why did she hand me "Failure at Lonith"?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Yes, I decided to keep playing skyrim because I figured out why my first playthrough felt like such a grind. If you wish to talk about that, and the previous thread, then bring it to PM. If you wish to have brief and constructive discussion related to the previous thread then thats fine, but if you're one of the harassers from my last thread you will be ignored and promptly reported.

I can't figure out how to marry Lydia. The two most prominent wikis don't seem to mention anything (or alot) about how to marry her. The bug preventing players from doing so has been patched, so that's not the problem. Also, I could swear that when she retired to the jarl's castle after getting tired of waiting for me, I went looking for her and passed by her when she was sitting at the dining table and she said something and handed me that book "Failure at Lonith". I could swear it was her, because it sounded like her and like in her direction. I dont think it could have been anyone else because the only other person it could have been was somebody at the bottom of the stairs, and they are all maids (or guards).

Help?

Also, I keep getting this thing telling me the server's timed out. Its extremely annoying. Any solutions? Don't think it's a cookie issue, and my internet's pretty fast.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I decided to keep playing skyrim because I figured out why my first playthrough felt like such a grind. If you wish to talk about that, and the previous thread, then bring it to PM. If you wish to have brief and constructive discussion related to the previous thread then thats fine, but if you're one of the harassers from my last thread you will be ignored and promptly reported.

If you encounter harassment, I encourage you to contact Renegader or myself. You may also use the report feature available at the bottom of every post to bring things like that to my attention. I am aware of (and even replied to) your prior thread so I am also aware from whence these comments stem. This is a brand new thread and your "tone", such as that can be determined via typed words, seems a little bitter. I do hope that you find useful information in the replies to this thread.

I can't figure out how to marry Lydia. The two most prominent wikis don't seem to mention anything (or alot) about how to marry her. The bug preventing players from doing so has been patched, so that's not the problem. Also, I could swear that when she retired to the jarl's castle after getting tired of waiting for me, I went looking for her and passed by her when she was sitting at the dining table and she said something and handed me that book "Failure at Lonith". I could swear it was her, because it sounded like her and like in her direction. I dont think it could have been anyone else because the only other person it could have been was somebody at the bottom of the stairs, and they are all maids (or guards).

Help?

Since there's no specific mention of fetching items and such in any documentation I read concerning Lydia, I take that to mean there's no specific quest involved. Can you tell use what you've tried thus far? You have the amulet? You talked to her?

As far as receiving objects from her, I know that once you are "friendly", NPCs will give you gifts. There's a pretty humorous thread on here about Farengar and his frumpy hat gift...

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
To marry Lydia all you need to do is wear the Amulet of Mara.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
So true Mate........lol

For anyone wondering, Im using IE.

Can you tell use what you've tried thus far? You have the amulet? You talked to her?

I got the amulet, yeah. I talked to her and there's no different dialogue. I heard you have to buy a house (in addition to being a thane) in order to marry her. I can't buy the breezehome cause I don't got the muhnee.

As far as marriage goes, maybe Lydia isnt the best choice. From what Ive heard, no matter what, all spouses will end up opening up a shop and making homecooked meals. All spouses can still end up joining you on quests to help you battle and serve as companions. My only distaste for Lydia is that she doesnt seem to have much of a personality. What are my other options? Who do you prefer?

Just an FYI, I became jarl balgruuf's thane and then tookover whiterun with the stormcloaks, so I don't know if that's going to bug out the marriage or not.

Also, I can't figure out why Mjnoll the Lioness (probably misspelled) wont give me the quest that will allow me to marry her.

As far as receiving objects from her, I know that once you are "friendly", NPCs will give you gifts. There's a pretty humorous thread on here about Farengar and his frumpy hat gift...

Well that explains it then. Its a shame I missed Lydia's dialogue, Im really curious as to what she said.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
IE is notorious ill-behaved on this forum. Chrome is my usual recommendation of browser on here.

Did you get the amulet from the actual priest of Mara? I've read now that you need to make sure you've talked to that priest about marriage to have it available at all.

Here is a list on UESP with all the marriageable females in the game (it does list everyone if you want to look at both genders; just scroll down). It's a handy chart that also lists the conditions upon which they will marry. Apparently, you do have to own Breezehome in order to marry Lydia but from a game mechanics side, Mjoll is a better choice because she's immortal.

Skyrim:Marriage - UESPWiki

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
yeah, you don't get the option to marry until you've had a chat to the preist about it.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
yeah, you don't get the option to marry until you've had a chat to the preist about it.

Here is what you need to do......

Obtaining the Amulet of Mara

The Amulet of Mara can be bought from Maramal for 200 Gold. He can be found at either the Bee and Barb or the Temple of Mara in Riften.

Can be found as random loot.

Can be found in a tent on a beach North of Dawnstar directly behind the Dawnstar Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.

Can be found in a chest in Blackreach on the balcony of a Structure south of the Alftand Cathedral, there are 2 Falmer patrolling on it.

Can be looted from Kematu in Swindler's Den.

Can be looted from a Chest with a Master lock in Calcelmo's Tower, which is accessible during the Thieves Guild Quest: Hard Answers.

Received for completing The Book of Love Quest.

Marriage must still be discussed with Maramal before proposing, if the amulet is obtained without talking to him.

Proposing

Maramal must be spoken to about marriage in Skyrim before any dialog related to the Amulet of Mara shows up. The new dialogue is unlocked with certain NPCs if you are both wearing the amulet and have met the requirement relating to them, usually a quest. You can then express your wish to marry the person. Once that is done, you can speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara about arranging the wedding.

Wedding Ceremony

The time to start a ceremony takes approximately 24 hours. Maramal alludes to the ceremony time being constrained between dawn and dusk, however the ceremony can happen at any given hour of the day. During the ceremony you have one last chance to change your mind to the marriage before the ceremony proceeds.
NPCs for whom the player has previously completed quests may appear at the wedding ceremony as guests.

If you miss the Wedding Ceremony, you can approach the intended partner and ask for another chance. Maramal will then agree to host another ceremony, the next day.

Married Life

After the Marriage, the partner will ask where you want to live, giving you the choice between the partner's house or in one of your homes.
The behavior of the spouse changes from the single character once married. Tone of voice and behavior changes, they often refer to the player as "love" or "dear" from that point on. However, if You marry one of your housecarls, they will sometimes refer to you as their Thane using subordinate dialogue.
If your spouse relocates to a different city from where they originated, to live in one of your houses, they may indicate that they wish to become a shop owner to keep occupied while the player is adventuring.

If you wish to relocate the spouse to a different home, (either another one of your houses or the spouse's own original home), this can be done so at any time via a dialogue option.

Once a day,you can ask your spouse to cook something for them. They will make a Homemade Meal that increases the regeneration of magicka, health, and stamina.

If you sleep in the house with their spouse, you will receive a temporary bonus called Lover's Comfort that boosts the rate of skill-learning by 15% for 8 hours. However, this bonus cannot be obtained if Lover Stone is activated, or if the Blood Ritual has been taken to become a Werewolf.

Note: Because partners act as vendors, you can buy and sell items from them. However, if they are asked to follow you, they will only sell you items from their inventory until you both part ways. Spouses only act as merchants in the marital home, meaning items cannot be sold to them in a dungeon, to reduce the carry weight, for instance.

But you still need to own a home somewhere & Breezehome is the cheapest home to buy at 5000 Gold.
Everything you need to know can be found here......
Spoiler - Marriage List | Skyrim Forums

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a few more questions.

Part of what turned me off from the game in the first place was the timesucking item management resulting from shopkeepers basically never having money to give you, never having any crafting materials, and them basically ripping you off all the time. I am well aware you can make profits by combining enchanting and smithing, but ive done that before and its not something I want to spend all day doing just so I can finally not be homeless. If possible, I would like the master trader perk and investment perk available through console command. Since Im on PS3, I don't know how that would work.

For that matter, what is able to be modded on Skyrim PS3? Can any mod be installed on Skyrim PS3, or does it depend?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
The console commands are not available to you unless you're playing on the PC. The same goes for mods. I have read some things on occasion that talk about somehow forcing mods on an Xbox but it's certainly not the intended purpose and I know you can get in trouble in some fashion for doing it. I can't recall seeing anything specifically regarding the PS3 but at least for the intended audiences, the console commands and mods are PC only.

DLC is another matter entirely. That could be made available for every platform.