How did you first become familiar with The Elder Scrolls Universe?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

kjetil H

Norwegian Wood Elf
Let us start a thread about how you first become familiar with The Elder Scrolls Universe.
I'll start with my history.

Many years ago I got a free copy of Morrorwind when I bought a PC.
It was a very good looking game, and something very different from the strategy games I used to play. But I didn't really understand it, and only played it for a couple of hours.

A friend showed me Oblivion when it was released. I remember it looked fantastic, but I didn't have a powerful enough computer, or an Xbox 360 to play it on.
The Xbox 360 was bought a year after, but was mostly used for the Halo games.

Last year I bought a used copy of Oblivion, just to see what it looked like now. I was hooked at once, and impressed of how easy it was to learn the basics.
The greatest moment was the first time I left the Imperial city, crossing one of the bridges out to the rest of Cyrodiil. The size of the game world was awesome, as well as the feeling of beginning a great adventure.
I still haven’t finished the main quest, there are so many other things to do.

Skyrim was inserted in the Xbox two months ago, and I still play it. There is so much more to do. I think it is the open world concept, and the random events that I really like in these games. Yesterday I was roaming around, when I saw a Dragon some distance away. When I got closer, some Thalmars were fighting it. I joined them in the fight from a distance, as I am an archer. When the dragon was dead, the Thalmars charged me. Killing Thalmars always feel good. After when I searched them, I found an assassination note on one of them. It had my name on it!

Jeff31

Premium Member
if you could change your text to something readble it would be most helpful ;)

Dovakiin98

I was first introduced when my younger brother bought Oblivion.I tried it but to be honest I hated it.A couple years later I decided to give Oblivion another shot.I was hooked and played it alot.I stopped playing Oblivion after other games started coming out.Then I bought Skyrim and I am hooked once more.I don`t think I`ll stopped being hooked for any time in the foreseeable future.

Adski123

I moved in with my brother's after splitting up with my ex, they both worked nights and left me on my own and very bored at 8.00pm every night, I had a look through the collection of xbox games they had and found Oblivion, the rest as they say is History!

rvk5150

Picked up Skyrim as my first despite being a HUGE RPG guy over the years...actually my wife bought it for me "just because." She was shopping at Target; it was on sale ($10 off); and me being a lifelong gamer she had heard a lot about it.....pretty cool huh?

I plan to pick-up up Oblivion; I am playing on PS3 by the way.

The Illusive Man

The Founder of Cerberus
I had Morrowind as my second Xbox game, after Halo:CE. I was (am still) so engrossed by it. I made drawings everyday that had to do with the Elder Scrolls.

When Oblivion was released, I played it as well! Then it was sold. I might decide to get it back.

Skyrim.... words can barely describe. Not a day goes by that I don't think about something that's in that incredible world.

redrkt

Premium Member
I am a newcomer to TES and first heard about it thru supporting it at my job (CS for xbox although I play it on the PS3) and am loving it, I started console gaming with the PSone and Gran Turismo (still a racing man at heart and have almost every racing game for both consoles) but since picking up the Skyrim CE at Bestbuy just before Christmas (on sale no less, saved $50 WOOT) GT5 has only been back in my PS3 a couple of times (updates and DLC).

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
I'm new to the Elder Scrolls, but they have my loyalty.

Also picked up Oblivion, but the faces just look funny. The art in Skyrim is just a thousand times better than Oblivion. I'll start playing it as soon as I get bored with Skyrim, which is probably never.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
A cousin of mine had Morrowind, but that was some very long time ago, and I didn't really get to play it. So a few years ago a friend bought Oblivion, and he asked me to try it. I did, but didn't enjoy it very much, but now that I bought Skryrim I can't stop playing it.

Arthur Dragon Born

Breton Mage
To be honest.... I only found out about the Elder Scrolls series because of Skyrim. I have been hearing the word Elder Scrolls before but never showed any interest. :oops:

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
I started playing the Elder Scrolls with Oblivion. When I first started, I was slightly turned off by the HUD character movements, but the overall idea was great. I enjoyed the arena, which was a good way to make money and level skills as a lowbie. However, this was the first time I actually roleplayed, so the skill set was a little confusing. After playing Morrowind then Daggerfall, I found a little easier concepts and archery and magic became favorites.
When Skyrim came out, I wasn't very excited, and mainly attempted a round just to see a dragon. I was immediately hooked on the game, however, and played it ever since. My PS3 actually got refurbed and then conveniently restored, so I didn't have any save files left. I now have two female Breton characters on the dock.

fleeon

Dark Elf Night Brother, Protector of Nocturnal
Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls and I am in love.

christof21

I got Elder Scrolls: Morrowwind back in the day free when I bought my graphics card for my PC. Never really played it too much, until Skyrim. I got sick and tired of COD and BF3 and the associated junk that comes with those online games. Wanted a different challenge.

Skyrim has renewed my joy of gaming again to a point where I can't wait to get home from work, pop the comfy pants on, grab a brew and say goodbye to 3 or 4 hours of my life ;)

Kuurus

Same as some others here. Even though I have played RPGs for a long time. I've played MMOs such as Ultima Online, Everquest, Shadowbane, City of Heroes and WoW, and spent my single player gaming time on things like Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Sacred2, and most recently The Witcher2. I have heard of the Elder Scrolls for a while, but never checked any of them out until Skyrim.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I was first introduced to the Elder Scrolls universe through Morrowind. My older brother had played it and recommended I give it a try; however I could never get immersed into the world for some reason.. perhaps it deviated too much from the Tolkien-esque fantasy norm I was expecting. And the game felt confusing overall, too. Then came 2006 and Oblivion.. I resisted trying it out for a long time because of my previous TES experience, but finally gave in and ended up losing months of my life to it. Fast forward to 2011 and Skyrim; easily the best game in the series so far.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Planned to hibernate for the winter and needed something meaty to keep me interested... Skyrim fit the bill, albeit a lot of the time occupied was not playing but fixing the game with tweaks and mods, or just trying to figure out what the hell was going on by looking stuff up on the internet.

skyfire322

I was introduced via Oblivion. I was going through a pile of my older brothers discs one night and noticed he had it. I liked it so much, I bought another copy! I am now a TES geek.

Eva

Played Oblivion a little bit when it first came out, but got really into it about two years ago (I was having a torrid love affair with Fallout in the meantime). Made me all the more excited for Skyrim when it came out.

BSE

I had heard of the previous games, but never played them. I didnt even hear about Skyrim until after it came out (im so out of the loop with games lately), when my brother-in-law convinced me to play it. So I told him to get it for me for christmas. Im very glad he convinced me.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts