• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I'm making a pure mage who focuses on being sneaky and using Illusion and Necromancy from the shadows to mess with enemies, but still uses Destruction as a form of primary offence, and I'm wondering whether or not it would be worth putting a point into Rune Master. Runes sound perfect for what I'll be doing, but I know Destruction really suffers from non-scaling damage.
So my question is: do runes (dual-casted) do enough damage later on in the game to be worth spending a perk on?

Raybow

Kahjiit kills racist
Defenitely NO! Later in the game, you will notice that fireball and incinerate is FAR more effective. Trust me, runes at hight level are useless. What utilities have runes that does 50 points damage if you can directly toss fire at them?

That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure first before wasting perks.
Bethesda needs to get on board with modding/console commands for consoles. :p

I have uses for all the spells, but mostly use Runes as cheaper alternatives at lower level. Rune Master is still nigh useless, and I'll point out it unlocks at the same level as Adept Destruction. Save the perk point.

However, between Apprentice, and Adept, it's cheaper to cast a Rune, and it does 25% more damage, if you can get the enemy to step on it. You can also cast them at your feet as you run away, and kite them onto it. I specifically use this tactic with Frost Rune to slow my pursuers. After skill level 65, you can hit up Faralda for Wall spells, which are even more useful for "Flame Roading". Also, since you cast them at your feet, you don't need Rune Master. Again, a wasted perk. The only time I have ever used it is at Karthspire, where it gave me enough reach to Shock Rune the Forager from behind a rock. I've never used it since, so not worth it.

I see. So what about Atronachs? I know they're obviously outclassed by Dremora Lords, but are they at least decent past level 50 (assuming all their perks are taken of course)? As in, will the Frost Atronach still be able to tank; the Flame Atronach able to do good damage?

Atronachs are good artillery. Don't want to throw bolts the whole combat? Drop an Atronach to do it for you! DLs are good Tanks, but Ssllooww. Flaming Familiar is the fastest summon, but you have to recast it often if you want to keep it on the field.

Atronachs are good artillery. Don't want to throw bolts the whole combat? Drop an Atronach to do it for you! DLs are good Tanks, but Ssllooww. Flaming Familiar is the fastest summon, but you have to recast it often if you want to keep it on the field.
So then if I were to go pure Storm Mage, using only Shock Spells and summoning Storm Atronachs left and right, they'd do ok? If that's the case I'll leave Necromancy for a different character; after seeing Chain Lightning and Wall of Storms in action, being a Storm mage looks like it'd be fun as Oblivion. :p

So then if I were to go pure Storm Mage, using only Shock Spells and summoning Storm Atronachs left and right, they'd do ok? If that's the case I'll leave Necromancy for a different character; after seeing Chain Lightning and Wall of Storms in action, being a Storm mage looks like it'd be fun as Oblivion. :p
Ok, there's 1 monster in Skyrim that's immune to shock, the Storm Atronach. You'll probably be fine, but it's the most magicka intensive element, so watch that gauge! Oh, you'll do fine, just throw in some Alteration, for armor spells, and the thematic blue glow. Ice Storm, of all the off element spells available, you're a Storm Mage, amirite? Get it, you can thank me later.

Ok, there's 1 monster in Skyrim that's immune to shock, the Storm Atronach. You'll probably be fine, but it's the most magicka intensive element, so watch that gauge! Oh, you'll do fine, just throw in some Alteration, for armor spells, and the thematic blue glow. Ice Storm, of all the off element spells available, you're a Storm Mage, amirite? Get it, you can thank me later.
Erhm... ok, thanks! I think... :confused:

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Runes? Never use them unless you are making a trap.
But don't try using rune on Admiral Ackbar, he knows....

its_a_trap.jpg

If it hasn't already been said, make sure you get Illusion perks up to at least Silent Casting.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Runes are like mines. Completely useless unless you're extremely patient.

If it hasn't already been said, make sure you get Illusion perks up to at least Silent Casting.
Don't worry, I plan on maxing out the Illusion tree with the exception of Master Illusion.
Here's the build for anyone curious btw; just a basic pure mage.

Runes are like mines. Completely useless unless you're extremely patient.
True; a Storm Atronach or Wrathman appearing out of nowhere will make a better "mine" anyway. :p
Now if only I could make up my mind between choosing Atromancy or Necromancy....

Does Dread Zombie (the Expert level reanimation spell) require Conjuration Dual Casting later on, or does that only affect duration and not power?

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
\
Don't worry, I plan on maxing out the Illusion tree with the exception of Master Illusion.
Here's the build for anyone curious btw; just a basic pure mage.

True; a Storm Atronach or Wrathman appearing out of nowhere will make a better "mine" anyway. :p
Now if only I could make up my mind between choosing Atromancy or Necromancy....

Does Dread Zombie (the Expert level reanimation spell) require Conjuration Dual Casting later on, or does that only affect duration and not power?
Dual casting makes duration and power increase, Depends on the spell. If you use Conjuration so it affects Duration mostly.