• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

demujin

I still haven't bought a horse. But I did get one for free. I talked to a stablemaster about buying his horse. I offered him 1000 gold, but I didn't actually have that much on me. he told me to come back when I've got the money. I walked over to the horse and when I put my cursor over it, it didn't say STEAL, so I got on the horse and rode away!

For Oblivion, there was a mod called 'where's my horse?' it allowed you to locate you horse on the map, very helpful.

Deseoso

I have to admit I find the horses a bit of a waste of time in the game. If you have a follower then they cannot keep up with you on a horse. your horse has saddlebags that you can see but cannot store anything in and you cannot fight from horseback. What is the point of riding an animal that can keep up with the deer if you have to get off the horse in order to fire an arrow at one.

I think there is a lot more that Bethesda could have done with the horses. Shame.

Johnnydeath

Wait till night, go to the stable bend down next to the horse and when its clear steal it. I always kill it when Im done also, drops some good meat.

Deseoso

Problem with stealing a horse is that you get a small bounty for stealing it but every time you get off the horse, you get a fresh bounty added every time you get back onto it. You use a stolen horse for a while and your bounty will start to go up quite quick.

roded88

I haven't bought a horse I'm broke lol his started not to long ago... but I was roaming around whiterun?? I think that's the town an towards the back of the city I saw a camp fire with a horse standing there decided to go take a look and got attacked by 2 bandits ... I killed them and searched the camp an got swarmed with about 6 more bandits who came back to the camp killed them and saw the lovely red steal above the horse so I did.... but then lost in about 20 mins late -_- SMH

Johnnydeath

Problem with stealing a horse is that you get a small bounty for stealing it.

Not true, I have not once got a bounty. As long as no one see's you, you dont get a bounty. Wait till night, bend down next to a horse and make sure no one is looking and steal. Ive stolen atleast 10 so far and no bounty.

Deseoso

Oh, okay, I did not realise that. The stable owner will regret you telling me that. I think it is a shame that you cannot get a horse for your follower though.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I wish I had read this before buying mine, thats a fix they need to put in simular to the housecarl my purchased horse needs to have storage, be able to fight while on its back, and at least show up at the next town if we get separated. being able to purchase a second for my housecarl/merc. I would pay for a small dlc that added these features plus of course being able to name it.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
if this is true.... "
"Problem with stealing a horse is that you get a small bounty for stealing it but every time you get off the horse, you get a fresh bounty added every time you get back onto it. You use a stolen horse for a while and your bounty will start to go up quite quick. "

Then that would be a great way to get the 1000 dollar in every hold achievement.

Beodix

Thane of Winterhold & Windhelm, Harbinger
Horses are also great when you leave a Dungeon and you are overburdened from loot and it makes it a lot faster to get back to civilization to sell your loot.

tha420Moose

bLaze up. play skYrim
Horses are also great when you leave a Dungeon and you are overburdened from loot and it makes it a lot faster to get back to civilization to sell your loot.
this is true. you can ride horses while you are over encumbered.

Interesting enough, in daggerfall you were able to buy a carriage along with the horse and you would leave it outside of the dungeon and just fill it up to the brim with crap you collected. Of course the shopkeepers and stuff had infinite gold and things would be sold for far less in that game then skyrim. But that would be an interesting add on to Skyrim. If they brought back the carriage and you had to haul it with all your stuff in the back and park it. Your companions could also sit in different spots on the carriage but also they could add in raids and stuff. Just a thought.

Edit: Or even stack dead bodies in the back... If your into that sort of thing! LOL

Titanburner

Premium Member
So I've bought 3 horses now.. first time it died.. second and third time I got off to kill a dragon and it disappeared... -.- Not spending anymore gold on horses.
I think i'd buy a OX if they had one.. a horse just isn't manly enough for my Nord....haha

LoadZ

I have to admit I find the horses a bit of a waste of time in the game. If you have a follower then they cannot keep up with you on a horse. your horse has saddlebags that you can see but cannot store anything in and you cannot fight from horseback. What is the point of riding an animal that can keep up with the deer if you have to get off the horse in order to fire an arrow at one.

I think there is a lot more that Bethesda could have done with the horses. Shame.
Dude, TOTALLY agree. I literally went from playing Red Dead Redemption, which has the BEST horse riding gameplay I've payed, to this game. It feels like they didn't upgrade horses at all from oblivion :sadface: Which is super disappointing.

And yeah, to the original poster- I've had that happen to me 3 times!!! I get off to fight a dragon which I DONT even wanna fight right then anyway, and my horse DISAPPEARS! WTF is that. Why FORCE me to fight a fl*ffing dragon if yorue gonna make my horse disappear!? Especially, when it's a quest horse that you CANT BUY AT OTHER STABLES.

SOOOO annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eturnus

Interesting enough, in daggerfall you were able to buy a carriage along with the horse and you would leave it outside of the dungeon and just fill it up to the brim with crap you collected. Of course the shopkeepers and stuff had infinite gold and things would be sold for far less in that game then skyrim. But that would be an interesting add on to Skyrim. If they brought back the carriage and you had to haul it with all your stuff in the back and park it. Your companions could also sit in different spots on the carriage but also they could add in raids and stuff. Just a thought.

Edit: Or even stack dead bodies in the back... If your into that sort of thing! LOL

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!