• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
I've been sticking to playing Nords for some time now, but recently I tried rolling a Khajiit. I've always really liked Khajiit, but never liked the way they are treated by the other races in game. So I usually stick to more socially accepted races. Anyway, I've heard from various NPC's that Khajiit are not allowed in cities. While it would be impossible to complete the game without breaking the social mores and entering the city as a Khajiit I thought I would at least not own a house in the major cities. So, for those people who play Khajiit, where do you live?

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
The road is your home! Travel with the caravans.

Failing that, hm. There's the Goldenglow estate. Once you've completed that stage of the Theives Guild quest, you can use it as a home. The thugs don't respawn and the boxes don't eat your valuables. Sort of grand for a smelly, disgusting, thieving, skooma-pushing ..misunderstood wanderer. But it is far off from the cities.

Honeyside, maybe? Riften plays hard and fast with the ules. It lets Argonians in the city walls. Even lets then handle food and drink. That can't be sanitary.. I could imagine a Khajiit that kissed the Jarls butt really thoroughly could be awarded property there!

Not in the other holds, though. Maybe Solitude, do to the Imperial presence.

I've been sticking to playing Nords for some time now, but recently I tried rolling a Khajiit. I've always really liked Khajiit, but never liked the way they are treated by the other races in game. So I usually stick to more socially accepted races. Anyway, I've heard from various NPC's that Khajiit are not allowed in cities. While it would be impossible to complete the game without breaking the social mores and entering the city as a Khajiit I thought I would at least not own a house in the major cities. So, for those people who play Khajiit, where do you live?
For some reason, that restriction doesn't apply to the PC, and it's not all cities anyway.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
My Khajiit owns Breezehome. He's the Haarbinger of the Companions, so I figured he gets from well due respect from the residents of Whiterun. And possibly elsewhere within Skyrim. Basically, he made the Nords fear him. And out of that fear, show him respect.

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
I just thought for RP'ing purposes even the most grateful Jarl still wouldn't want the Khajiit living in their cities, no matter how much of a hero they were. I read that the Nords really hated the Khajiit. I think I'm overthinking it.

The road is your home! Travel with the caravans.

I wish I could give up my attachments to material good that easily. I was thinking as a challenge to myself make this character constantly on the road and limited to only things she could carry. Still I think I might mod myself a little cave with a safe barrel and a bed to use as a dumping ground.

Orange_

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Watch the magic!
Anise's cabin cellar doesn't respawn, though there's no container in there or bed you can sleep in. But you can dump stuff on the cellar floor safely. At least using it would make sense, Khajiit are skilled thieves and lockpickers so if you came across the cabin, it's only natural that you'd pick the lock to the cellar and see what's inside. Once you leave Anise becomes hostile so you're forced to kill her and at that point it'd be like "why let this cabin go to waste?"

Once the Whiterun guards go to Riverwood there are also bed rolls and a fire set up right outside the little town. It'd be a good place to sleep and you'd still be outside the town walls...similar to the trade caravaners at the larger cities. But again, no container.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I wish I could give up my attachments to material good that easily. I was thinking as a challenge to myself make this character constantly on the road and limited to only things she could carry. Still I think I might mod myself a little cave with a safe barrel and a bed to use as a dumping ground.

While you're modding, why not just mod a few chests at random spots along the road, or hidden caches in stumps where you can leave/pick up supplies?

I saw one mod that was a magic "bag", when you clicked on it in your inventory, you actually entered the bag and inside was a ton of storage and such. Sounds pretty handy for a traveling kitty.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
If you're going to be modding, the "Build your own home" mod is very popular. (even with myself.) The house building area is quite isolated and it would probably fit your character well. (As long as it isn't one of those I-don't-want-to-do-any-work-ever theif types.) It comes with all work stations, 4 themes (assasin, hunter/warrior, mage and theif) plus easy labeled storage. My only gripe is the interior is sometimes a bit cluttered. (particularly because the theme I chose comes with 2 pet rabbits and a pet fox). Plus! It doesn't look out of place!
Whilst modding your own house seems a great idea and a personalised house is desirable, it is very difficult to make it look natural. (particularlly with the cave kit.) Power to you if you get something you like, but I've only had mixed results. (usually bad)
The only successful mod I've made that I've been happy with is my faithful companion, Fray. (He's a Chaurus Hunter)

edge

Wow most of my build are kajiits. You dont really get treated differently at all. All that happens is during battle they have offensive brawling talk, like "you will make a great rug cat" and sometimes guards say "i'm watching you cat" but overall, gameplay isnt that different. And this is on xbox.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
Wow most of my build are kajiits. You dont really get treated differently at all. All that happens is during battle they have offensive brawling talk, like "you will make a great rug cat" and sometimes guards say "i'm watching you cat" but overall, gameplay isnt that different. And this is on xbox.
I'm pretty sure that happens with all non-human races. I've recently been playing as a high elf a lot, and the guards and citizens treat me with a lot more aggressiveness (not just dialogue, I accidently stole a tomato, and the guards wouldn't yeild) compared to when I played as a imperial or breton.
Strangely though, they act condecending towards me instead of just general hatred. Before they'd just say "hail Imperial" or "Greetings Breton".
Now they call me "Little elf" and tell me that they are watching me, despite the fact that I stand a head taller than anyone else and with the Dominion winning the great war, chances are I would probably be watching them.

The Twitchy Cat

Batman is shocked at your comment.
I live in the Fortress of Solitude.

The Twitchy Cat

Batman is shocked at your comment.
I honestly don't understand how people are finding that out.

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
I'd mod my own house if you want to play a lore friendly Khajiit. When I went Khajiit to try a fists-only approach to combat, I used the Riften house you can buy, as Riften seems like the most Khajiit friendly city. I also went with the caravans before it became hard to keep up with their schedule while still questing.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
It's beyond dispute that Riften allows Khajiits inside the city as one is eventually seen wandering around the city once you progress far enough in the main questline.

Also if the Thieves Guild is restored to it's glory days they establish an alliance of sorts with all the Khajiit caravans in Skyrim.

Finally, if Maven Black-Briar becomes Jarl of the Rift I don't think she'll enforce the practice of prohibiting the presence of Khajiit within the city in your case, and I don't think she'll give a plops about how anyone feels about it. If there's money, power and influence to be had in allowing a Khajiit who is the Dragonborn and leader of the Thieves Guild into Riften, she's going to allow him or her into Riften and anyone who speaks out against it is going to end up in the Riften prison or worse.

In addition, Honeyside is the only player home that can be entered from outside of the city which means you could come and go without being scrutinized by the guards or the people of Riften.

Neriad13

Premium Member
While I've never played as a Khajiit, a long time ago I did give up on home ownership for nearly all of my characters. I carry all my worldly belongings on my back. My home is wherever I set up camp (via a camping mod) and rest my weary hide. If you're into crafting, especially smithing, or collecting, it can be a difficult thing to do. But if you're into roleplaying and slightly hardcore gameplay, it's a great boon.