PC Hitting the Books won't start

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

foilist13

I finished under Sarthaal, and the arch-mage told me to go talk to the orc downstairs, but the quest isn't added, and when I talk to the orc he only gives his normal responses and doesn't give the quest. I tried using the console commands to add the quest manually, but that did nothing. Please help. I may have used the console commands wrong, but I don't think so. I entered player.sqs mg03, then setstage mg03 0, but got nothing.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I didn't have this problem but try speaking with Mirabelle and see if the quest loads afterwards. I noticed it's listed in the quest stages even though I never had to do it.

Gwaelaurien

I had the same problem. After Saarthal, talked to Archmage, then Urag, and even Mirabelle, and NONE of them start the quest for me. I can't find any code to start it manually w/ console, only to set the stage of quests already started. Please does someone know the code?

F34R3D

Create a fresh save and try the following console commands without quotations:

"completequest MG03"
"setstage MG04 0"

It seems that the bug prevents "Hitting The Books" from being added to the quest journal, so you won't see it under completed quests. The commands above basically force finish "Hitting the Books" and force start "Good Intentions".

Gwaelaurien

I figured it out! A couple days ago and forgot to reply here. setstage mg03 10 That forces Hitting the Books to advance to stage 10 and it was added to the journal, so I could do it.

Latte

Hey. I created an account just to post this. I have many, many mods installed, and I was having this same issue. I would finish Under Saarthal, talk to Savos, and Hitting the Books would not start. I tried startquest, resetquest, setstage, talking to Mirabelle, talking to Urag, talking to the Arch Mage again. Nothing worked. What finally did work was my loading up my current save with every mod except the mods that affected my current character (alternate start, wrath of nature, anything that added a quest or item(s) that I currently had in my journal or inventory) deactivated. I then made a separate save of that, the "Lite Mod" version. I typed "startquest mg03" into the console, and voila. After that, I saved, exited, reactivated all my mods, and continued on my merry way. I hope this helps someone out.

FatalScroll

Hey. I created an account just to post this. I have many, many mods installed, and I was having this same issue. I would finish Under Saarthal, talk to Savos, and Hitting the Books would not start. I tried startquest, resetquest, setstage, talking to Mirabelle, talking to Urag, talking to the Arch Mage again. Nothing worked. What finally did work was my loading up my current save with every mod except the mods that affected my current character (alternate start, wrath of nature, anything that added a quest or item(s) that I currently had in my journal or inventory) deactivated. I then made a separate save of that, the "Lite Mod" version. I typed "startquest mg03" into the console, and voila. After that, I saved, exited, reactivated all my mods, and continued on my merry way. I hope this helps someone out.

I too created an account just to confirm what this guy said ^^^^^ Same issues nothing would start it so removed quest mods and did console commands and it worked!! The only one i have the same is Alternate Start so maybe might be an issue with that mod??? setstage MG03 30

nabnab1305

Create a fresh save and try the following console commands without quotations:

"completequest MG03"
"setstage MG04 0"

It seems that the bug prevents "Hitting The Books" from being added to the quest journal, so you won't see it under completed quests. The commands above basically force finish "Hitting the Books" and force start "Good Intentions".
This guy is right, just do this and you can continue. NOTE-You miss out on the quest. If you are that sad, just go to fellglow keep and do it by yourself. THANK YOU SO MUCH

PEOPLE OF SKYRIM, HAIIIIIIIL THE WORD OF TALOS!!! FOR YEA, HE HAS DISCOVERED THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEMS! DISABLE YE ALL MODS, START YOUR SAVE AGAIN AND HITTING THE BOOKS WILL START! *_PRAAAAAISE TAAAAAAALOS!!!_*

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts