• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

thesuldani

Why hello there, reader.

I have played Skyrim quite a lot, and after reading Conn Iggulden's books, I myself became inspired to write. I know that this prologue will not be great writing, I have started only recently. I do know that it wil not be completely accurate to Skyrim and it's story. I just took the world of Skyrim and gave it my own little twist.

Please, when reading and especially commenting, keep in mind that I am only 14 years old. I have a lot of spare time and this is what I do in that time. I would like it very much if you left comments, with ways i could improve and things that were not good. I really want to improve my writing.

The lone flame flickered as it danced on the candle, small streaks of smoke filled the air as this candle burned. This small inferno was all that was necessary to keep little Jensen interested. He had been staring for hours, but it only seemed like a few moments. He wondered how it was safe to put the fire in this corner, it as a wooden house, after all. Wealth has been unknown in this area for centuries, and it might never change. Ever since the Imperial Legion had come into these lands centuries ago, the inhabitants of the Dawnstar province had been ill favored by luck. The winter had been harsh on everyone, and it did not exactly help with the wealth around here. Jensen had heard stories of places where it never snowed, where people were rich and could do anything they want, but he knew those were at the edge of the world, out of reach from his poor young hands.

An odd little Nord he was. Jensen was never like the other kids from Dawnstar, he was always different. Jensen was often alone, and he liked being alone. As introvert as he was, he did not need someone to keep him company. Jensen took control of anything he could lay his hands on, and he usually got into trouble for that. The other young ones of the village had never been nice to him, he didn’t know why, but honestly he didn’t care. He would leave this village at the first chance he could seize. He wished he could live a glorious life, and make everyone jealous of him.

Jensen’s dad, Marvin was still asleep with the fur sheets keeping him warm, it was late at night and Jensen was supposed to be sleeping. He knew that if his dad found out he didn’t go to sleep, he would get another meet with the stick for sure, but he couldn’t sleep. ‘How could he sleep?’ Little Jensen thought. Jensen’s mother, Anja, had died from the common rock joint not so long ago. Jensen was nothing alike his Marvin, he was a mean, irresponsible and shameful man. Anja on the other hand, was sweet and loving, she always managed to be calm. The little boy had the same features of his mother, grey eyes, and scruffy blond hair. Afterwards all that has come has been nightmares, but they are all the same. The same nightmare, over and over again, each night. Jensen could never remember it clearly, but he could not forget one thing, the mysterious, hooded man. The man could be anything, he could even just be nothing but imagination.

Marvin was a woodcutter, and he had the nasty habit of getting drunk every once in a while. Jensen despised him, he used to come home at night, drunk, and then nothing but screams of horror could be heard from his poor mother. Jensen’s father did not provide well for Jensen and himself, which would explain the small house. Marvin has had to sell the most precious jewelry in the house after his wife had died. Jensen never knew what his mother did during the day, she wasn’t home, and she was rarely in the village during the day. ‘What if I just ran away?’ Jensen often wondered ‘I could find a horse and go to Windhelm, to join the rebellion against the empire!’. Dawnstar was a town faithful to the Empire, and by Talos what Jensen would give to leave the place. Marvin expected Jensen to become a woodcutter like himself, and as soon as Jensen would turn sixteen, he knew he would have to help his dad. Luckily for him, that was still 5 winters away.

A sudden screech yanked Jensen from his thoughts. As a reflex, he turned around, and threw himself to the floor. While he was rising back to his feet, more noises and sounds could be heard from outside. Hooves, screaming, he was afraid his biggest fear was coming true. There was nothing that young Jensen feared more than bandit raids. He sensed there was something different about this one, though he did not dare go outside, or even go near the tiny window. Marvin lay dead still, however it was odd, Marvin was a very light sleeper, awoken by the slightest sound. Jensen looked at him in envy, what he would give just to be able to as vast asleep as his father. A loud yell sounded from right outside. Out of pure panic, Jensen let out a scream of fear and ran into the darkness, not covered by the dim candle light. His head smacked the floor as he realized he just ran into the wall. Sheepishly, He rose back to his feet, and turned the door knob. his head was aching, but the noise was getting louder by the second and he had to find a hiding place with haste. A strange smell loomed in the room, but Jensen immediately dismissed the distraction.

As soon as his first foot was planted inside of the room, Jensen was knocked off his feet by a powerful force that hit is upper torso. His ribcage was roaring in agony. This sudden event left Jensen confused, and with a handful of anger. His vision was blurred, and every sound was muffled. Jensen could do nothing more but to simply stare around him. To his surprise, the room was empty, and he was embarrassed as he wondered if he had run into something again. A mysterious figure appeared from the dark corner close to the door. Jensen’s eyes widened in fear, his body unable to move. The dark figure came closer, yet it was still beyond recognition. Jensen’s thoughts were racing, but he could do nothing, he felt paralyzed. A surge of cold rushed through his body as the figure was now nothing but a step away. He felt as if his blood was frozen, as to his terror he realized the dark figure was the hooded man from his dreams. The man had a cloth covering his mouth and nose, so only his blood red eyes were visible. From his belt, the man retrieved a short dagger, with an ominous green glow covering the steel. Jensen felt a faint pain in his side as he realized he had just been stabbed, he did not feel a great deal of pain the warriors always described, though. All of a sudden, a wave of cold and fatigue rushed over him, and his eye lids fell.

Part III
Jensen sightly woke to a foul smell which he had not known before. Every few moments a drop of water splashed on the ground next to him, constantly on the same place. Jensen was bemused, he didn’t know where he was or what had happened. All he could remember was the candle flame. His mind was blank, except for that little fire. A smile spread on Jensen’s face, as he thought of the warmth and distraction that inferno gave him. A tide of chill wind rushed over him, making him shiver. Jensen allowed his eyes to open, so he could take a gander around him. He saw a tiny table next to him, but it was out of reach, he could only see the bottom. The drop of water caught his attention again and he turned to see. As he rotated, his side roared in agony, making Jensen wince and grab at the searing pain. His hands wandered over the irritation, and he discovered a deep cut in his side, remembering the mysterious man that stabbed him. This brought back his anger and confusion from the previous time he was awake.
He felt the soft fur of the blanket that had been wrapped around him, it comforted him a little, making him relax. After a few moments, he opened his eyes again, and tried to look around him once more, not allowing his body to turn. Jensen was now sure that he was in a cave, he saw light coming from a tunnel, which was probably the way to get out. A hard and cold wind brushed against Jensen as he hid himself from the cold in his fur blanket. A loud smacking sound echoed across the cave. Jensen’s head sprung out of the fur, and he looked around in panic. To his relief, he saw that the wind had merely blown the table over. Jensen noticed a piece of writing, stuck on the surface of the wood by a dagger. The little Nord quickly pulled his arm from the warm mantle, ignoring the pain. He pulled out the dagger with ease, making the note fall softly. Once the note had reached the ground, Jensen used his left hand to hold the note above his head, so he could read the writing, while slowly retracting his right arm from the blanket, trying to avoid excessive pain.

Jensen;
I know you have a lot of questions, and you will find them answered soon enough
I left some gear in a chest near the tunnel. Now it is important that you stay alive. When the time comes, we will meet.
good luck.

P.S. drink some of the water from this cave, it will help the wound.
-The Spectre
This gave Jensen even more questions than he already had. Was he supposed to trust this person? His mind was racing. This Dawnguard man could be a murderer, just playing with people for his own joy. Unfortunately, Jensen did not see another option. He would just drink the water, get the gear from the chest and find a local village. Jensen did not like what he thought of the future, and what happened, but he knew that he could not stay here for long. Caves are dangerous places, they could be swarming with frostbite spiders and skeevers as soon as the night comes. Jensen felt dull, and let the fatigue grow over him once more, as he dozed off.
A loud screech woke Jensen immediately. The cave was dark, and Jensen cursed as he realized that skeevers were entering the cave, most likely to have their rest. He looked around him in fear, the cave was dark, and only the water could be seen, which had an odd glow about it. It shone light over a little part of the cave. Without thinking, Jensen cupped his hands and streched out his arms. He pulled back a little by the agony that was getting worse as he moved. The young Nord tried to ignore the pain. His hands dove under the water and he raised them back up. There was a little water in his cupped hands, but he didn’t want to waste anything, so he quickly put his mouth to it and swallowed it on big gulps. The pain in his side was doubling, and he yelled out in agony. He slammed back to the ground and clenched his teeth, this was worse than anything he had experienced before. His heart felt as if it were about to explode and Jensen was scared that it would. After a few moments, which seemed like hours to Jensen, the pain vanished. Jensen lay there, shocked. His chest was heaving rapidly, still panting from the extreme pain. He moved his hand to his side, to feel what had become of the wound. To his amazement, there was no cut, it was completely clean.

Jensen looked over at the water, his eyes wide with fascination. He risked to move, hoping that he would feel no more pain. He rose to his feet with ease, all the pain and aches were gone. Jensen smiled at this. He scanned the place for any sign of the chest earlier mentioned in the note. He spotted a wooden chest, with metal outlining in between a pile of rocks. Jensen started walking to the formation. Out of a dark corner, the same screech that woke him up was heard again. The next second, a skeever jumped to Jensen, catching the boy by surprise. A skeever is a rat-like animal, but bigger and more lethal. It’s little claws scratched Jensen’s arm as he moved it down to protect his groin. Jensen reacted quickly, stomping his bare foot on the skeever’s head, knocking it back. Jensen let out a cry of disgust. Skeevers are filthy animals, and Jensen was lucky that this one was alone. Jensen took the skeever by the neck as it went in for another attack. He jerked the skeever’s head to the side, making a loud crack. This was the first time he had ever killed a skeever, and smiled to himself in pride. Jensen knelt down at the chest, he opened it quickly. He pulled all the gear out; one iron sword, one wooden shield, and some leather wear, to protect against light cuts.

As soon as he had geared up, Jensen let out a long breath, and stepped inside the tunnel. There was a bright light coming from the end of the tunnel. Jensen presumed that this was the way back into the open, out of this cave. It was getting warmer step by step as Jensen moved closer to the end. Jensen was still in awe over everything that had happened, but he decided to get his mind off it, ‘everything will make sense at some point’ he thought. His eyes were blinded as he had to adjust to the bright sunlight. Jensen moved his hand over his head to cover his eyes from the light. He took a deep breath and grinned as his nose was cleansed by fresh air. The grass was soft and green, the sky was blue and almost clear of clouds. He saw what he presumed to be a village down the road, and started making his way towards it.

This is it so far, I really hope that you enjoyed it. Have a nice day :)

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
I must say, you write very well for a 14-year-old. Now you've piqued my interest to find out what The Spectre has in store for young Jensen, and exactly why he must stay alive. :)

Nice skeever kill, too. :rale:

thesuldani

Thank you! :D This made my day. I am still working on the rest of the story, and I will post it as soon as I have finished. I am very glad that this appealed to you. :) Please let me know if you have any ideas of how I could improve.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
You're most welcome. Improve? Not too sure about that, but if I think of anything, I'll be sure to let you know. I'm not one to mess with another's creativity. :)

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I'm impressed that this came from a 14-year-old. Your style is pretty advanced. :) One little minor suggestion though, try double-spacing between paragraphs...it'll make it easier on the eyes. :) Good start though

thesuldani

Thank you! I will be sure to put a double space between the paragraphs. :) School will be starting very soon so I will have less time to write, but I will post the next chapter as soon as it is finished. :)