• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LadySapphira

Hi everyone. I'm new to the game and was wondering if you guys could give me insight into dragon battles.

I'm playing on Adept, as a pure mage. This is my first real time playing skyrim/oblivion etc. I'm level 7, focused all perks into destruction but want to do conjuration too.

I have trouble killing dragons right now, I end up dying too quickly. I don't have a companion the me (do I REALLY need one? =X) and there's generally nothing I can conjure up to take any hits for me (yet). Am I doing something wrong? is there a trick? I can't seem to heal away the damage and keep getting hit by fire breath if I try to hit it with my fire spells (Firebolt, Flames). I just recently got firebolt so my aim could be a bit better but if I get too close the dragon kills me in about one breath - and even getting hits in I keep running out of mana/stamina/health just too fast.

Thoughts? xD

ps - I'm not going to lower the difficulty level. I can always run away just fine, and I have managed to kill 2 dragons I saw but there were innocent bystanders that took hits for me.

Necromis

well a couple of small things. Yes at lower levels it can help to have a companion to absorb some of the damage, or a summoned creature for the same reason. Secondly, remember a fire dragon has resistance to fire and weakness to ice, and the opposite is true, too. So if you are fighting a fire breathing dragon hit him with your cold/ice spells and your frost dragons with fire spells. The Antronch(sp?) stone will also let you absorb magic damage to use as magicka, but you lose the bonus from the mage stone for leveling.

FLeX BoZaCK

Dragons are the hardest thing in the game to kill. I didnt have a companion until a long time in. Yes use the opposite of the dragon as an attack, i e frost v fire etc. Have plenty of healing potions on hand and Favorited. I used magic secondary so imagine it is tough starting out. Stay away from its mouth! Attack from the sides, like the wing etc. Use shouts! I never save mid fight but it may be an option if you get it below half way. Also dont be scared to run from a fight!

Verses

Use a bow/magic and hide behind a rock when he uses a ranged attack and you won't get hit!

Yes this is the way of a coward, but it helps for beginners.

FLeX BoZaCK

there is no coward way. They key is not dying! Potions of resistance to whatever that dragon produces helps also.

Verses

but after a while it gets fairly easy

i know play master (level 77) and am able to kill dragons with only 2 potions

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Buy the restoration spell Steadfast Ward. It is strong enough to stop any dragon's breath weapon attack, and if your restoration skill/magicka is high enough, you can use your other hand to deliver destruction spells, one-handed attacks or healing spells for the entire fight. Also, if you play with a mage, buy the impact perk. If you time it just right, no dragon will be able to get an attack off in-between your castings of any destruction type spell. But, like I said, STEADFAST WARD is the most important spell to buy for a mage type character when fighting dragons.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts