Xbox 360 Help me understand Poisons

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ninjatator

Hey fellow nerds,

I need some help understanding the nuances between the different types of damage health poisons. Specifically, the differences between poisons of damage health, lingering damage health, and concentrated poison.

Obviously, a poison of damage health will...well damage health. pretty simple. for the sake of my questions, assume the enemy I'm hitting the poison with has no immunity to poison, and I have alchemy maxed at 100 with all perks

Here are my questions:

1) I made a poison of lingering damage health, that Causes <mag> points of poison damage for <dur> seconds. For examples sake, lets say 6 points of poison damage for 10 seconds. Does that mean that it will do 6 points of damage PER SECOND for 10 seconds, totaling in 60 points of damage health. Or a total of 6 poison damage over that 10 seconds...roughly .6 damage per second.

2) Do perks like Assassins blade (15x damage for sneak attacks) affect the poison damage?

3) The Frenzy poison (now that I'm lvl 50) doesn't seem to work on anybody. Is there a way to increase the level of the poison to affect higher level baddies?

4) I do not understand when it says "Causes <mag> points of concentrated poison damage". Does the "concentrated" mean it does more damage? If you have 2 poisons, one doing 10 pints of poison damage, and the other doing 10 points of concentrated poison damage...whats the difference?

5) (Ignoring the concentrated poison perk) When dual wielding weapons, does 1 poison application go for both weapons, giving you two hits (one right handed, one left handed)?

thanks in advanced ;)

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Hey fellow nerds,

Always a great way to start off a post! :D
1) I made a poison of lingering damage health, that Causes <mag> points of poison damage for <dur> seconds. For examples sake, lets say 6 points of poison damage for 10 seconds. Does that mean that it will do 6 points of damage PER SECOND for 10 seconds, totaling in 60 points of damage health. Or a total of 6 poison damage over that 10 seconds...roughly .6 damage per second.

The XX dmg per YY seconds is a damage over time, a delayed poison so to speak. It would equal out to 60 damage over the duration of 10 seconds. The poisons that do not have a duration are "impact" type, they immediately do the XX amount of damage.

2) Do perks like Assassins blade (15x damage for sneak attacks) affect the poison damage?

From my understanding, no. The damage of the perk is based on your weapon's total damage. The poison is then added afterwards. At least that's how it worked in other games with similar mechanics.

3) The Frenzy poison (now that I'm lvl 50) doesn't seem to work on anybody. Is there a way to increase the level of the poison to affect higher level baddies?

Not sure, I've never found the frenzy type poisons beneficial. I have used the Frenzy/Fury spells though and those have the Illusion tree to help buff them a bit.

4) I do not understand when it says "Causes <mag> points of concentrated poison damage". Does the "concentrated" mean it does more damage? If you have 2 poisons, one doing 10 pints of poison damage, and the other doing 10 points of concentrated poison damage...whats the difference?

I don't have an answer for you on this.

5) (Ignoring the concentrated poison perk) When dual wielding weapons, does 1 poison application go for both weapons, giving you two hits (one right handed, one left handed)?
[/quote]

Nor for this, I did dual wield Dagger + Dagger or 1h + Dagger, but only applied poisons once when deciding to use a poison. I assume they only work for the right-hand weapon, though I never tried to apply twice.

Ninjatator

Thanks, MushroomGenius, that really helps clear up the lingering damage poison. I shall endeavor to make more of those :)

I just found an answer to number 5 on the Skyrim Wiki...in regards to poisoning a weapon "With a melee weapon, the poison is only effective after a successful attack. With arrows, the poison is applied to the first arrow fired, regardless of wither or not it hits."
So it looks like the controlling factor here is number of hits, not number of weapons used.

I've also read reddit threads where people where bitching about the frenzy poison...I think it's borken and only useful at very low levels. o well

So the only real question is now...what benefits do Concentrated poisons have vs regular poisons?

I ask this, because I've recently decided to challenge myself at skyrim. This is the 2nd time i'll be playing threw the game, and I've limited myself to only invest into 3 skill trees. I've decided to go sneak + alchemy + archery. So I'm basically making a sneak/ambush character. (Khajiit is great for this)

anyway, my defense is stealth, and a kick ass offense. Combined with the right shouts (throw voice) and a few solid perks (shadow stone and the invisibility power you get at the end of the thieves guild quest) it's made a very fun game.

but im only lvl 40, and being able to 1 shot enemies without crafting a daedric bow and enchanting it, really depends on the power of my poisons.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki

Ninjatator

......OOOOOOO I get it

With no perk, a concentrated poison will be applied to 2 arrows.
so does that mean with the Concentrated poison perk, they are applied to 4 arrows? I'm going to have to go test this...

thanks again :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts