PC Help! Ideas for FPS increase??

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hey guys, sorry if this thread is misleading i just joined today but I have a serious FPS issue and its stretch! Its kinda sad though because I have a acer 5742 laptop that consists:

Intel HD graphics
6gb of RAM
500gb HDD
i3-380M intel core

I have tried a lot and i know its a bit of a stretch but even with the Skyrim.ini modification and on the lowest settings i can get on skyrim i get an average of 7-20 fps

Is there anyway i can increase my FPS?
(i am getting a massive gaming setup in 6 weeks time but in the mean time can i increase my fps?)

And will my new gaming setup be enough to play skyrim on maxed out settings without lag?:

Intel i7
3gb Graphics card
8gb RAM
1TB HDD

I appreciate any answers thanks :)

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Hey guys, sorry if this thread is misleading i just joined today but I have a serious FPS issue and its stretch! Its kinda sad though because I have a acer 5742 laptop that consists:

Intel HD graphics
6gb of RAM
500gb HDD
i3-380M intel core

I have tried a lot and i know its a bit of a stretch but even with the Skyrim.ini modification and on the lowest settings i can get on skyrim i get an average of 7-20 fps

Is there anyway i can increase my FPS?

With Intel graphics you trying push a 4ton truck with 1 oxen.

You need to compensate CPU time for lag etc. Try closing all programs off and disabling Windows 7 themes completely to "Windows classic" should take memory down a little for a performance boost.

Your resolution is key here, change that to it's lowest and see if it's any better.

If neither of these work, your system isn't prepped software for gaming but it can be done. I'll send you some settings for SkyrimPrefs, but try that first.

And will my new gaming setup be enough to play skyrim on maxed out settings without lag?:

Intel i7
3gb Graphics card
8gb RAM
1TB HDD

I appreciate any answers thanks :)

Everything is fine here. But what "3gb Graphics card" ?

Refer here for more info PC - Skyrim PC Requirements List | Skyrim Forums

We need brand names and the model numbers to help you out, not just general numbers and descriptions.

Also, what is your budget on a new gaming rig? That'll help too.

Im making my own build pc, but i wont have the money to make it til 6 weeks and my budget is around $1500-$2000

With Intel graphics you trying push a 4ton truck with 1 oxen.

You need to compensate CPU time for lag etc. Try closing all programs off and disabling Windows 7 themes completely to "Windows classic" should take memory down a little for a performance boost.

Your resolution is key here, change that to it's lowest and see if it's any better.

If neither of these work, your system isn't prepped software for gaming but it can be done. I'll send you some settings for SkyrimPrefs, but try that first.

Everything is fine here. But what "3gb Graphics card" ?

Refer here for more info PC - Skyrim PC Requirements List | Skyrim Forums

Thanks i will go try this now! Also im not quite sure exactly the graphics card i'm hoping to get, any suggestions you have for which graphics card i should get? I just need one that can run skyrim max out without lag.

I was looking at the AMD radeon 7750.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Im making my own build pc, but i wont have the money to make it til 6 weeks and my budget is around $1500-$2000

Thanks i will go try this now! Also im not quite sure exactly the graphics card i'm hoping to get, any suggestions you have for which graphics card i should get? I just need one that can run skyrim max out without lag.

I was looking at the AMD radeon 7750.

AMD Radeon 7750 is an .... choice. Then again, any suggestion you get from me is going to be AMD.

I would advise though that if you are on a budget to wait for the Radeon HD 7850.This card is even better than the nVidia GTX 550 ti which seems to be the mid hallmark for performance.

The Radeon HD 7850 has a GPU clock speed of 860MHz and 2GB ram MHz frequency of 1200 through a 256-bit bus gives it a texel rate 91% faster than the nVidia GTX 550 ti. It's pixel rate is going determine your resolution and you can play Skyrim on a higher resolution than on the nVidia GTX 550 ti.

So rather wait for that.

Also in keeping with your budget strategy, I suggest a Phenom II black edition X2 / X4 AMD chip. Through experience these CPU's take the crown.

AMD Radeon 7750 is an .... choice. Then again, any suggestion you get from me is going to be AMD.

I would advise though that if you are on a budget to wait for the Radeon HD 7850.This card is even better than the nVidia GTX 550 ti which seems to be the mid hallmark for performance.

The Radeon HD 7850 has a GPU clock speed of 860MHz and 2GB ram MHz frequency of 1200 through a 256-bit bus gives it a texel rate 91% faster than the nVidia GTX 550 ti. It's pixel rate is going determine your resolution and you can play Skyrim on a higher resolution than on the nVidia GTX 550 ti.

So rather wait for that.

Also in keeping with your budget strategy, I suggest a Phenom II black edition X2 / X4 AMD chip. Through experience these CPU's take the crown.

Thanks very much! This is very helpful! I'm going to have a look at prices tomorrow at my local computer store

So rather wait for that.

Hey sorry again! But I have found out my full specs on what im getting for christmas and im a little concerned if its good enough to run skyrim on ultra settings

HP P6-2301A

Intel Core i3 3.30GHz (how i can get a 3.3GHz speed from an i3? i dont even know lol)
nVidia GeForce GT 620m 1gb graphics
Windows 8
1TB HDD
4gb RAM (i will upgrade it to 16gb)

But i swear to god this is what the specs say lol! So will this most deffinitly be enough to play skyrim on ultra settings without lag issues?

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Hey sorry again! But I have found out my full specs on what im getting for christmas and im a little concerned if its good enough to run skyrim on ultra settings

HP P6-2301A

Intel Core i3 3.30GHz (how i can get a 3.3GHz speed from an i3? i dont even know lol)
nVidia GeForce GT 620m 1gb graphics
Windows 8
1TB HDD
4gb RAM (i will upgrade it to 16gb)

But i swear to god this is what the specs say lol! So will this most deffinitly be enough to play skyrim on ultra settings without lag issues?

HP Pavilions aren't bad.

A processor's speed in GHz doesn't mean a thing anymore, but cores do.

Your processor is going to have 2 cores and a thread for each of them. Essentially, you will be getting a dual-core. But what separates the i3 from the Intel dual-cores, are the process in which they were made. i3 processors were made with 32nm (i.e. Nehalem) Intel's microarchitecture concept, opposed to the older dual-cores core's of 43nm. The i3 cores consume less power and are generally more powerful than the older dual-cores (i.e. E7000/8000 series).

The threads in the CPU is the process in how the operating system scheduler calculates data independently.

Skyrim can be played on ultra with an i3. However your quest for more ram will be in vain and not what is essential.

I would ditch the idea of getting more ram and buy the Radeon HD 7850.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Get an i7, or at least an i5. The i3 processors are dual cores. My i7's (in my signature) base speed is only a little higher than my previous laptop's, but dual core vs quad core isn't even comparable.

For the graphics card, I definitely recommend you get the best that you can afford and with at least 2GB dedicated memory.

Skyrim on Ultra without issues with that rig? Nope, and it'll be even worse if you want mods and DLC. NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Honestly, that tower is over priced based big time on a quick google search. I recommend you check out XoticPC; they focus mostly on laptops but also build desktops, and they ship internationally. You can customize pretty much anything on your build, which is great. Even if you strip down one of their desktop models to about what that HP is and you're going to get a much better machine.

Also, customer service is beyond good. Give 'em a call, tell 'em what you want, and they'll help you out. I recommend you ask for Roland if you decided to seriously look at them. I made one little comment to him while on the phone to check an order status and he set me up with something far better than what I'd have bought instead for only like two hundred dollars more.

Side note: I recommend nVidia cards.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Get an i7, or at least an i5. The i3 processors are dual cores. My i7's (in my signature) base speed is only a little higher than my previous laptop's, but dual core vs quad core isn't even comparable.

He mentioned this is a Christmas gift.

And keep in mind that if he wastes more money on a i5/i7 CPU that may contain a socket type LGA1155 with his board being a socket type LGA1156 it won't be compatible, then you would of wasted his time with your advice.

You've got to make sure you gong to purchase the correct socket type for the motherboard.

And keep in mind that if he wastes more money on a i5/i7 CPU that may contain a socket type LGA1155 with his board being a socket type LGA1156 it won't be compatible, then you would of wasted his time with your advice.

You've got to make sure you gong to purchase the correct socket type for the motherboard.

Thanks! So after i have enough money, do you reckon it would be easy enough for me to just buy my own i7 CPU and buy a decent graphics card and install them myself? Iv had a little bit of experience looking inside a computer before. But how hard can it be?

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
MAYBE? It's pretty hard to say for me, and with your lack of/limited experience in doing such things.

Honestly, if this is a Christmas gift, tell them what you want and to either get that or ask for the money. If you want to play games, I don't think you should take the chance of getting something you don't want or isn't powerful enough. I had to deal with that for about three years; it's terrible.

That's just what I would do in your position.

Derp.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts