• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I Finally started a new char! on my main char I didn't do magic, only shouts.

can someone help me out on how to build up a mage? till so far I'm liking the fire spells, but I certainly want the schock spell ( star wars lol) what is a good way for a magenoob like myself to start like using magic?

as far as I want the character to go, I want her to be a sort of mage thief? so I figured Illusion would also be good to train? She's gonna be a vampire, to stop the random vampire attacks. She might get evil, haha. I'm going to stay neutral on the war, I think..

Sulekha

Some quick thoughts:

Destruction - fire is efficient early on, dual wield to stagger strong opponents
Enchantment - increase rate of Magicka recovery, magic resistance, reduce spell cost
Restoration - at higher levels on the skill tree you get faster magicka recovery too
Alteration - magic resistance, up armor rating via -flesh spells

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
A Shield Mage is a very efficient mage build. Psi also has a good tutorial on that one.

Jaeger

^^

And get spellbreaker. And Restoration ward perk.

If you're going to chunk fire, get the Aspect of Terror perk. This adds +10 to any fire spells. Check the UESP under Illusion to know when to get it (I think it has to be gotten after the fire enhancers perks, not sure).

If you have Dragonborn dlc, the ring that gives you the spell ignite works wonders with aspect of terror. Best bang for the buck spell in the game magicka cost wise.

wakatepee

can someone help me out on how to build up a mage? till so far I'm liking the fire spells, but I certainly want the schock spell ( star wars lol) what is a good way for a magenoob like myself to start like using magic?

as far as I want the character to go, I want her to be a sort of mage thief? so I figured Illusion would also be good to train? She's gonna be a vampire, to stop the random vampire attacks. She might get evil, haha. I'm going to stay neutral on the war, I think..
hey man i know how to make the ulimate mage
its verry easy
u just need 100enchanting man then inchant ur ring and body armor till u get a total of 100% less cost of destruction mage and then ur a beast with infiniti magic
no problem after this

Two Bears

If you are looking to be a sneaky mage type, the very first thing you want to do is level your Illusion to 50 so you can take the Silent Casting perk. Without that, you cannot be both a mage and sneaky. If you want to be grindy about it, you can just purchase the Muffle spell, find a quiet corner of the world and cast it repeatedly to level it.

Once that is done, your options become more diverse. How do you want to kill things? You've got some options. You can do the obvious lobbing of fireballs until something is dead. You can go with a bound bow and pick things off like an arcane archer. I have more fun if I use a combination of frenzy spells to turn my opponents against each other while I either drop in summon monsters or raise the fallen to jump in and fight for me while I remain hidden in a dark corner. Funtimes=Maximum. Aside from that, you can focus on defensive arts like Alteration and Restoration if you want, but I find that they are typically overkill for a build like that, and those points can be better spent elsewhere.

Once you know what schools you really want to concentrate on, it is time to work on your enchanting skill with the aim of getting yourself some equipment that will help your magicka pool last longer. Some Fortify School X enchantments and Fortify Magicka regen will serve you well. Alchemy is also very useful for keeping your reserves up.

In terms of leveling, I usually go 3 points Magicka, 1 point Health until my magicka is at 300, and then I go 2 and 2 for the duration of the game. Screw Endurace; you don't need it. Also, you should consider becoming a vampire if the opportunity presents itself, due to their bonuses in both sneak and Illusion magic.

Happy gaming!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts