Heavy armour crossbow build plausible?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
Yes. You won't need 5/5 juggernaut or matching set to get to the armor cap with Dragon armor. If you have 100 smithing, all you need is a piece or two of found smithing gear and a store-bought or found blacksmithing potion. That way you can save those perks (I heard tower of strength doesn't actually do anything anyway, bugged), and apply them somewhere else.

ShadowGambit

Interesting that you went with the left side of the Heavy Armor tree.

But quite understandable as you don't really need conditioning if you have a horse. They can carry for you :)

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
I thought you'd be on a horse the majority of the time, and that was the point of the build and the reason you weren't taking Conditioning? If you are using Heavy armor and not on a horse, you should get Conditioning, or at least the Steed stone if you have a problem with the slow speed. Otherwise you can use Light armor if you don't want to use Steed or if you don't want to be on a horse. It's basically your preference as either can work fine.

ShadowGambit

I don't really know how the crosbow and the mounted combat works though. I don't have Dawnguard (PC here) and I'm using patch 1.5.

My opinion though is that it will depend on your style of play.

Will you ALWAYS keep your distance with your target, then it doesn't really matter.

If you CHARGE your target, then I would choose Heavy Armor for when you come close, in case you will need to pull out your melee weapon.

Ryokozan

for some reason i cant get the guards to tell me about dawnguard so ive takenn to just waking to the castle will that work?

ShadowGambit

you should ask that question is the Dawnguard section. They will be able to answer you better I think

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
for some reason i cant get the guards to tell me about dawnguard so ive takenn to just waking to the castle will that work?
I got the quest right away. I fast traveled from Anise's Cabin (been using the cellar as my house) to Riften to sell some gear and an Orc walked up to me on the street and told be about the conflict with vampires and marked Fort Dawnstar on my map. You can't walk right to the Fort itself, there's a cavern type thing you have to enter first off the side of the road East of Riften and I don't know if it appears if you don't have the quest.

And as far as your heavy armor/cross bow question. Yes, it works very well. Though unless you plan on staying hidden, you realistically only have time to fire one...maybe two...bolts unless you're super far away from the enemy. And in either case, whether you're staying hidden or super far away, there's no real benefit to be in heavy armor over light armor since you don't need the added protection. If you don't plan on sneaking (which is what I assume if you plan on doing a lot of your combat on horseback and in heavy armor), crossbows work better as an opener to soften up a target before switching to your melee weapon when the enemy gets close and/or as a situational long range weapon. It doesn't make a great primary weapon unless you're planning on staying hidden because there's just too much close range combat otherwise and the crossbow fires very slowly.

But I am in heavy armor and loving the crossbow. I don't even use the bow anymore because the crossbow gets me more 1 shot kills when I'm sneaking through dungeons and for stronger enemies I can use it to take off >50% of their life with one bolt before switching to my war axe and shield to finish them off.

ShadowGambit

The only problem that I see with the Mounted Crossbow build is that it only works on the OPEN though.

Your horse doesn't follow you in dungeons.

Ryokozan

ive been using the build so far(i'm level 9) it seems to be working wellso far i can see how adding a close range weapon would be usefull but most of the timethe stagger lets me get another shot in which either kills them or makes them kneel

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
ive been using the build so far(i'm level 9) it seems to be working wellso far i can see how adding a close range weapon would be usefull but most of the timethe stagger lets me get another shot in which either kills them or makes them kneel
I got the steel crossbow at level 36 and it was more powerful than my ebony bow. Does the damage when you first get it scale to your level? Or at level 9 is it still more powerful than the ebony bow? Haha, if so, I could see how it would be so useful at lower levels.

Ryokozan

im not too sure about the base damage since when i gopt i had 51 archery and 3 perks in overdraw but it was significantly stronger than my imperial bow

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts