• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

drjunkie

So I think it's fairly popular to wear Heavy Armor on a spellcaster. Anyways, that's what I'm doing now, and I'm wondering how everyone deals with it at low levels? If I was just wearing caster stuff, I'd have all the magic regen and additional magic, but if I'm wearing Heavy Armor, it rarely comes with that. How do you deal with Heavy Armor on a spellcaster at lower levels?

JoeReese

Nothing wrong with it, if that's what you like. You'll be a might slower and have a little less carry weight ability, but nothing you can't handle, and there's a perk which will render it weightless later on.

One nice thing about armored mages is that, if you don't have to worry so much about casting oakflesh or whatever, then you can concentrate on dealing damage. If you do cast, it's goes on top of your armor, which is also nice. This also saves you a couple of perks later, since you don't have to waste them on making the flesh spells stronger when wearing clothes.

Since you're a mage, you'll likely be doing some enchanting. May as well practice on your armor. Disenchant the robes/hoods you find, and put the magicka boosts and regeneration on your armor.

xsneakyxsimx

At the start, it may be an idea to replace the helm with a hood, that has Fortify Magicka. And don't be afraid to use the cost reduction perks or include Alchemy. :)

drjunkie

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I actually am wearing all Heavy Armor with the original hood you find in the cage. I'll just have to start enchanting soon I guess, I'm mostly just going up the Destruction tree right now.

JoeReese

The hood will help you greatly in the beginning. When you get a little enchanting prowess and a couple of grand gems (for the most benefit) then you can split your magicka boost between helmet, gauntlets, and rings and necklaces. Two items with 20% are just as good as one item with 40% if you can't enchant that high yet. Before long, you'll be outdoing the original stuff.

drjunkie

Such a pain to Soul Trap things before they die though, when it's not part of a Bound weapon or enchantment. :sadface:

AJK

It's not THAT much of a pain; just wait until they're almost dead, preferably kneeling, then cast the spell.

Or, if you have a follower, give them a soul trap weapon and a bunch of empty soul gems. They'll fill them for you.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Well, I would definitely, as you are doing, wear the hood at the moment. The rest you can keep heavy armor. Try to find a necklace and ring with magic enchantments. You will also have invest in magika more so. Although, since you won't have to worry about alteration, you will have a little more magika to work with.

If I was you, I'd focus on that enchanting. Start gathering as many soul gems as possible. Go mine some gold ore and silver ore and smith a ton of rings to enchant them, and watch that skill rise. You don't have to reach the top just yet, but get it decent to wear you can enchant all of your armor and jewerly with magic related enchantments. If you're going big on destruction, you have the potential to completely cut the cost of destruction magic to 0, so it will be unlimited. Same goes for all school of magic, and that way you can save perks. So you can do those kinds of enchantments, enchantments that increase magika and magika regen, etc. That's what I would do asasp, it worked very well for my character.

Also, as far as the armor weighing you down, try to increase it to get that perk in the heavy armor skill tree that will eliminate that problem. Just let a bunch of mudcrabs beat the plops out of you, and then heal yourself. Repeat. Does wonders for restoration as well.

Good luck!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts