Have you ever felt sorry for an enemy?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gore gro-Gijakudob

This just happened today, I was battling against forsworn and I was happily standing there letting them throw free arrows at me, I went into third person mode and immediately got one arrow directly in the middle of my throat and one exactly in my... nether regions. Still didn't do me very much damage but when I crushed that archer's skull, I actually positioned the body in a respectful manner and left him with his bow. That dude was a gooood archer. My character was fine but I limped in real life for a while.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Hells yes to that question. I think it's one of the things that makes this game so special. There's a ton of sympathetic villains to be had in Skyrim. The most recent one I've seen was actually a wolf. I was raiding a bandit cave, killing everybody in sight, when I found a journal belonging to one of the bandits. He described how he had found this mangy, injured wolf in a raid of his own and decided to raise it as his pet. I reached a point where I had killed all of the bandits in the hideout, except the leader, who was hidden away in a room of his own. The cave floor was littered with bodies and I paused in my mission to loot them all. And then, as I was giving stuff to Lydia to carry home, I saw the wolf slowly entering the room behind her. He didn't attack me and he didn't run. He just sniffed at one of the fallen bodies, most likely his owner, like any sad, lost puppy would. I freaked out, thinking that he was going to attack me at any moment and killed him before he could do so. But the truth is, I honestly don't know if the dog had any malicious intent in it. I felt bad for killing someone's pet and in turn, the bandit who had given of himself to help a helpless dog.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
^--- wow, seriously? That's really cool!

I've been finishing up the Dark Brotherhood questline.... felt bad about Deekus. I made the mistake of talking with him before doing the deed and he pleaded with me. Told me that he had done nothing to me, and of course, he's right. I chased him around the ocean for a while... was about to leave him be... but a devil whispered in my ear. I told myself that I'd take one shot with an arrow at him from a long distance and that was it, if I hit him, I hit him, if not, so be it. So I hiked a bit, enough that I could still barely see his head bobbing up and down in the water, took aim quickly, didn't bother to adjust for drop and loosed an ebony arrow.

RIP Deekus. (sorry)

iLouis

Psst...I know who you are. Hail Sithis!
Hells yes to that question. I think it's one of the things that makes this game so special. There's a ton of sympathetic villains to be had in Skyrim. The most recent one I've seen was actually a wolf. I was raiding a bandit cave, killing everybody in sight, when I found a journal belonging to one of the bandits. He described how he had found this mangy, injured wolf in a raid of his own and decided to raise it as his pet. I reached a point where I had killed all of the bandits in the hideout, except the leader, who was hidden away in a room of his own. The cave floor was littered with bodies and I paused in my mission to loot them all. And then, as I was giving stuff to Lydia to carry home, I saw the wolf slowly entering the room behind her. He didn't attack me and he didn't run. He just sniffed at one of the fallen bodies, most likely his owner, like any sad, lost puppy would. I freaked out, thinking that he was going to attack me at any moment and killed him before he could do so. But the truth is, I honestly don't know if the dog had any malicious intent in it. I felt bad for killing someone's pet and in turn, the bandit who had given of himself to help a helpless dog.

I believe that's in White River Watch. Same thing happened to me! Felt pretty bad :/.

Grey Fox

What is best in life? "To crush your ENEMIES, to see them driven before you...and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

Well, one time, I was fighting through hoards of bandits and saw a lone wolf. I rushed to his aide but was too late to stop the bandit's crushing steel mace. In an agonious lament of "Yul Toor Shul!" I obliterated the remainder and payed my respects to the poor canine.

Lee

Rasta-For-I
I came across this young man once. As I approached him he was trying to re-animate the corpse of a foxusing a staff. I got into dialogue with him and he said something about how he's a failure at being a mage.

Eventually, my only option of dialogue was to say something like it is probably safer if I take the staff off him. He resisted and I had to kill him to get it. I could have walked off and left him with it, but he clearly didn't know how to use it. The staff can re-animate corpses and have the fight with you for 60 seconds. Having taken it off him I immediately put the staff to good use by killing a sabre cat and chicken, re animating them and have them follow me before they croaked again. It looked funny the 3 of us walking along the path together. I didn't want to kill the lad, and felt sorry for him, but I had to see what fun I could have with the staff

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
I haven't met an enemy I feel sorry for yet. There has been an amount of pity just before the camera pans back and the blade of my axe splits their head.

I have felt for companions such as Meeko the dog who insanely attacked a frost troll which prevented me from using fire breath to toast Frosty the Troll and was dead before I caught him up.

Arktic_Spyder

I feel bad for the falmer really. Losing your homeland to the nords and then becoming enslaved by the dwarves?! I imagine that they aren't as primitive as they are now but....

deanj832

I had a bounty to go and kill a giant....when I found him he was sat in the middle of nowhere probably miles away from anbody on his own next to a campfire roasting his skeever over the fire minding his own business I thought he looked kind of sad and lonely, but hey I had a job to do thats the only time I felt sorry for anybody.... probably because it was my first bounty and i didnt get attacked first and he hadnt actually done anything wrong to me

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
I feel bad for the falmer really. Losing your homeland to the nords and then becoming enslaved by the dwarves?! I imagine that they aren't as primitive as they are now but....

The snow elves started the war when they launched attacks on Nord cities. Search the "Night of Tears." Ysgramor and his sons were the only ones who escapes back to Atmora before coming back with the 500 companions for some sweet vengeance

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Lee

Rasta-For-I
I had a bounty to go and kill a giant....when I found him he was sat in the middle of nowhere probably miles away from anbody on his own next to a campfire roasting his skeever over the fire minding his own business I thought he looked kind of sad and lonely, but hey I had a job to do thats the only time I felt sorry for anybody.... probably because it was my first bounty and i didnt get attacked first and he hadnt actually done anything wrong to me

I don't know how you sleep at night. :)

Arktic_Spyder

The snow elves started the war when they launched attacks on Nord cities. Search the "Night of Tears." Ysgramor and his sons were the only ones who escapes back to Atmora before coming back with the 500 companions for some sweet vengeance

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Really? Never knew that, thanks. :)

Suleku

The Grey Knight
>.> Oooooh HECK NUUU!!!! lol... These bandits wanna make me drink my own blood... Sooo I give em whatz coming to them... end of story... Now I don't harm innocents just follow that rule... don't mess with me... and I won't mess with you...

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Minor spoiler ahead for those not yet involved in the civil war quests?

Well, my greatest moment of regret so far happened when Ulfric had ordered me to assist in the siege of Whiterun. I was regretful for many reasons: I had come to identify Whiterun as my home, a safe haven in the wild tundra, and felt like I had ties to the people there. And I also happened to like the Jarl Baalgruf, and hated to see him dethroned, especially since he seemed like a sensible, non-fanatic man when it came to his stand on the civil war: someone who was trying his best to avoid getting his city dragged into the middle of it. And the way he looked at me when the final confrontation took place inside Dragonsreach, and his words to me before he walked out of there a defeated man.. I actually felt ashamed of myself.

I even felt half-sorry for killing the guards during the siege, though they are all a bunch of knee-injured Arnold Schwarzenegger sounding ex-adventurers who still insisted I was nothing more than the mead-boy of the companions (even after I was promoted to Harbinger). Actually.. when I think about it some more, the guards got exactly what they deserved.. wankers. But I wish the city had been left unharmed.

Nathalean

Professional Vampire Ninja
This is a complex story so please try to stay with me here:

When you play through the quests in Markarth, you will encounter the quest "The Forsworn Conspiracy". This quest reveals that the whole of Markarth is corrupt and the Silver-Bloods actually run the whole thing. Since I have chosen Markarth as my home and sworn loyalty to the Jarl, I wanted to cleanse the city of the corrupt guards and such. I finally got the opportunity to do so by helping the Forsworn king Madanach escape the prison he spent decades in. When I finally got him, his allied and myself out of this god damned mine/prison, the forsworn went on slaying the whole guard and the head of the Silver-Blood family.

Now I have a clean, non-corrupt city in which I can live in peace but in the end I have slain ~20 guards who had kids and wives and I hear the constant mourning in the streets... I don't regret the whole thing, but I am now aware that things are not always black or white. Likewise in the ongoing war: Do I whish for a strong Empire that can stand up to the Dominion or do I protect that what the Nords now consider their home even though they took it with force from their predecessors?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts