PC Getting killed before I can aim even one blow...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the .ini suggestions. I have managed to hack my way through my third dragon, but I still pretty much avoid melee.

Skullrattla: Are you talking about the .ini files in Documents->My Games->Skyrim? Assuming you are, the Skyrim.ini in that location doesn't even have a [controls] or [camera] section.

You can add any lines that don't already appear in the .ini file. And, I believe there are 2 copies of the .ini itself. I'm fairly sure the one in you Documents is the right one, however. I'm hoping Skullrattla will reply again though to confirm. It's been forever since I messed with any of those files.

I absolutely and enthusiastically agree with getting the better mouse too. I have a Razer Death Adder and it makes all the difference in the world.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Yes, in that location, and if the [Controls] or [Camera] sections aren’t there in the text of the .ini file just paste them in.

theoduck

If persimmons approach, Khajiit will smell them.
Yeah. Prolly gonna have to get a mouse. I've been playing on a laptop with the trackpad, which worked out just fine when I played Dragon Age: Origins...

That is apparently not going to fly in this case, although I have managed to get to level 14, buy a house and kill 3 dragons now with this dilemma -- it's maddening.

It takes me 2 or 3 seconds to turn around 180 degrees. Not good in a melee situation. When those hired thugs showed up to teach me a lesson I thought I was stuck for good -- then I remembered that I'd been developing mage skills alongside thief and I cast Fury, then hid and picked off with bow. That lead thug with the shocking warhammer is way nicer when he's sailing off the Whiterun battlements in slo-mo with a 3x sneak arrow in him. :)

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Oh boy, definitely get away from the trackpad. I play on a laptop as well and I wouldn't dream of using my trackpad. Even a cheap mouse would probably increase your aim. I have a cheap one and the Razer and I do have to toy with the mouse settings quite a lot if I have to switch between them. I've even used one of the wireless mice with decent success. There's a tiny bit of lag noticeable with the one I've got so you have to compensate a bit.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Yeah. Prolly gonna have to get a mouse. I've been playing on a laptop with the trackpad, which worked out just fine when I played Dragon Age: Origins...
This explains much. I love my Logitech g700 gaming mouse. It can be set to a much higher sensitivity and mouse speed than your average mouse let alone a trackpad. It has mulitple buttons that can be mapped out to keyboard controls and is macro programmable. It's also wireless and rechargeable.

In general it's a good idea to use a mouse instead of your trackpad whenever possible. It's much easier and cheaper to replace a mouse than it is to repair your trackpad from wear and tear.

theoduck

OK. Got a mouse. Lag is still horrible -- and I implemented all of the suggestions here. I started over and I can actually kill some things during the escape before my buddy does all the work.
But still, the lag (which is definitely longer than 0.2s -- more like 0.75 - 1.0s) is a REAL bummer.
I did not get a gaming mouse because there's nowhere to get one around here.
The other thing -- LEFT mouse button = RIGHT hand
RIGHT mouse button = LEFT hand
WTF???????

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The other thing -- LEFT mouse button = RIGHT hand
RIGHT mouse button = LEFT hand
WTF???????
It's because generally all mouse key mapping makes the left button your primary function button and your right hand weapon is your primary function button for combat. If you don't like it you can just remap it.

theoduck

Yeah. this really blows.

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.200
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.15

Moving my mouse has totally unpredictable results. Up means UP! Not to the side and facing another direction.
Where do you guys find out these mysterious parameters than you can just add to ini files? There's a list somewhere, right? I realize that if the makers told you up front that you would have to calibrate your mouse to play this game, then sales would suffer, but since they got my gold already, I don't mind spending some time on this, but where is a list of parameters and what they do?
I work in audio, so I know what latency is, but what parameters am I supposed to tweak in order to compensate for it? Clueless :sadface:

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I didn't remap keys or play with any .ini settings to get my Razer working. The only thing I had to adjust is the Mouse Sensitivity option inside the game itself. Did you try the new mouse without any .ini edits?

What kind of mouse is it? Did it come with driver software?

theoduck

No driver software. I got the best cheapo iHome mouse they had at the Kmart by my house. There's a gamestop here too, but they only had one mouse in the whole store. They had to bring it out from the back and dust it off. it looked absolutely ridiculous and cost $100...
I need a mouse to look like a mouse because sometimes women come over and I don't need a piece of gear that screams "GAMER" lying around :cowboy:
I went back to the original settings of skyrim.ini and it is working a lot better now as far as direction, but the lag is still a nag. Practice would apply here, I suppose.
Now if I could just figure out a way to hotkey my claws... I've been wanting to use them, but had to stick to the bow before. Having spells equipped requires a few cumbersome steps to unequip the spells and fight with claws.
1. equip a 1-handed weapon
2. move it to the other hand
3. un-equip the weapon.
If anyone has a handy method for this, I'm all cat-ears...

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
razer-deathadder-gaming-mouse-3500dpi.jpg

The Death Adder isn't totally geek-a-rific ;) It's been quite a hit in my graphic design classes too, actually. I bring it to school and plug it in there instead of using the craptacular ones they have. The increased sensitivity is really great in Photoshop, for example.

Have you assigned hotkeys to the favorites menu stuff? If you open the favorites (q if you haven't remapped it on PC) then hover the mouse over one of your things in the list. Then press 0-9, I think (It may be 1-9) while the thing is highlighted and it'll assign that as a hotkey. So you have to favorite the things you want to switch between first. You may have to do like 1 then 1 again to get both hands doing the same thing.

So if you have a bow as 2 and healing as 1, you could switch from the bow by doing 1 then 1 again to dual 'wield' healing. Then 2 to switch to the bow. Is that what you were looking for?

theoduck

I'm playing a khajiit and want to hotkey claws, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that; the only way I've found to un-equip a spell is to equip a weapon, then un-equip the weapon, which is kinda clumsy, but probably an oversight due to the fact that khajiit is the only race you would want to fight unarmed...
Yeah, I wanted to get a death adder, but nobody around here has one. I don't drive.:eek::eek:o_O

theoduck

Thanks everyone who offered assistance. The mouse lag is as good as I'm going to get it, methinks. Since I am playing a khajiit, I can incorporate it into my role-playing by assuming that I am high on skooma 24/7.

Hey, at least I can fight now.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Yeah. this really blows.

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.200
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.15

Moving my mouse has totally unpredictable results. Up means UP! Not to the side and facing another direction.
Where do you guys find out these mysterious parameters than you can just add to ini files? There's a list somewhere, right? I realize that if the makers told you up front that you would have to calibrate your mouse to play this game, then sales would suffer, but since they got my gold already, I don't mind spending some time on this, but where is a list of parameters and what they do?
I work in audio, so I know what latency is, but what parameters am I supposed to tweak in order to compensate for it? Clueless :sadface:

Ah, you got that wrong, it should be fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200 as written in original post.

These numbers work for me, I have a gaming mouse and play on low resolution, you may have to tweak them but they should give you a decent staring point.

Did you disable Windows Enhanced Pointer Precision in Mouse control panel?

If you also disable VSync (Skyrimprefs.ini, iAdapter=0) and you still cannot get it to work, you need to drop your graphics settings or get a faster computer.

Yes, what I am posting comes from a lot of research and testing. I spent the entire winter tweaking Skyrim... I must have quit and re-started the game an average of 10 times a day.

There is no complete list of parameters, unfortunately, but a lot of them are known from previous Bethesda games and these particular settings are really basic and do what they say they do .

theoduck

OK. Got the correct numbers in there this time...
BEE-UTIFUL!!!!!!
Glad I'm almost done with the Companions plotline. Those NPCs are buggy as fl*ff! They always just stand there without swinging, get walloped, then limp over to where I'm hiding... giving me away. Lame.
This mouse fix opens up a whole new world! Maybe now I can actually hit bunnies, hawks and flying dragons.
Thanks a lot!
I know all about running. Was hunting a mammoth, got chased by giants and mammoth, then a dragon showed up and started in on everybody including the east watchtower, where there was some random Argonian who attacked me, beat him, beat the dragon, then beat the giants, but Lydia was nowhere to be found, so I had to take a Companion quest just to officially ditch her.
All three times I was forced to take an unmanageable companion, they bugged out. Got right up on my ass while sneaking, then just stood there doing nothing after being detected, then limping over to my new hiding place after they got their asses kicked. They would say fighting things like "is that all you got," but they would not swing a weapon. I suspect it may be a bug with sneak mode for those NPCs

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Great, I was so glad when I fixed it! WHY, BETHESDA? WHY???? :Dovahkiin:

The thanks go to the folks that originally posted about these tweaks.... somewhere...

Another thing that really helped is the FPS Limiter mod from nexus, set to 60 FPS.

Panthera

Don Gato
Also while not exactly a combat strategy, there's no shame in adhering to the idiom "discretion is the better part of valor" and running away.

Screaming "FOR THE LOVE OF TALOS, SAVE ME!" for added dramatic effect can help too. Well, maybe not but it may amuse your family or neighbors. :)

True, I made myself a new character which I play on master and this is first time for me that I was running from multiple bears... even though I'm level 40! This play which I play now is totally different form how I played before... which was, to kill anything which comes in my way and killing it no mater what or how many times I need to reload save.

I guess I'm maturing. :D

theoduck

True, I made myself a new character which I play on master and this is first time for me that I was running from multiple bears... even though I'm level 40! This play which I play now is totally different form how I played before... which was, to kill anything which comes in my way and killing it no mater what or how many times I need to reload save. I guess I'm maturing. :D
I've hacked my way up to level 62 on Adept with the same character mentioned earlier. Thief/Illusionist has turned out to be a pretty good choice with my improved but continuing mouse-lag conditions. Stuff like that HUGE vampire hunt for the old Jarl of Falkreath is a challenge because the intense graphics start to lag my mouse more than normal.
Challenging not because I got killed, but because i wanted to pull it off without becoming a damn vampire again. I'm probably the best class for it, but it still sux...
henrii_004_velcome-to-honeyside.jpg