• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Baelor

For those of you who roleplay and impose gameplay restrictions, if you play a heavy armor wearing, sword and board or 2H weapon wielding warrior, do you sneak at all? I've ALWAYS used sneak, despite what my character build was.

For what could be my final playthrough in Skyrim, I am doing a DiD campaign and thinking about imposing a 'no sneak' rule on myself since I've never read about any heavy armor wearing warriors back in the day stealthily sneaking up on an enemy.

Thoughts? Feelings? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Twiffle

thats actually a good point, ,''no sneak'' although i would say that surprise through the ages has been top of the list with most leaders in history , , but i may be wrong.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
Play it without sneak, it'll make for a refreshing change of pace. Not only will it make the game more challenging but it'll also make it slightly more realistic, which helps with the RPing if that's what you're doing.

If you must have a form of stealth, a MuffleMage hybrid build could be fun. HA, Illusion (for Muffle and perhaps Invisibility) and a massive 2H sword to smack bandits around with. :D

I'd say it wouldn't be unheard of for such a warrior to do a little bit of sneaking around on an enemy just to get an idea of enemy positions and how many he's dealing with. I'd say don't be putting any perks into the sneak tree, but a little bit of sneaking certainly wouldn't be unheard of. :D Get your strategy. Put eyes on all the enemies. Then, charge in balls blazing! ;)

Baelor

So you all have actually tried it witout sneak all together though?

When I say no sneak, I don't mean just refrain from putting points into Sneak (which I never do on warrior builds btw), I mean NEVER crouching down to try to sneak through a dungeon and get a sneak attack with a bow. You either walk or run, but do not crouch to sneak.

Twiffle

i never sneak unless its a thief/assasin. currently playing a kajhiit block warrior, sneak bar hasnt even moved yet, and im on level 18

So you all have actually tried it witout sneak all together though?

When I say no sneak, I don't mean just refrain from putting points into Sneak (which I never do on warrior builds btw), I mean NEVER crouching down to try to sneak through a dungeon and get a sneak attack with a bow. You either walk or run, but do not crouch to sneak.
I have done it that way. It really depends on what kind of character you want to be RPing. I was playing as an orc warrior who would almost always charge into fights blindly. So if you're going for that, no sneaking at all would be good. It is a bit more challenging sometimes.

This is what I am going for.
Then yeah, I say in that case just don't sneak ever. I don't need to sneak if I'm confident in my ability to CRUSH THE SKULLS OF MY ENEMIES! ;) hehe

kyleekay

For those of you who roleplay and impose gameplay restrictions, if you play a heavy armor wearing, sword and board or 2H weapon wielding warrior, do you sneak at all? I've ALWAYS used sneak, despite what my character build was.

For what could be my final playthrough in Skyrim, I am doing a DiD campaign and thinking about imposing a 'no sneak' rule on myself since I've never read about any heavy armor wearing warriors back in the day stealthily sneaking up on an enemy.

Thoughts? Feelings? Suggestions? Criticisms?

That's a really interesting point... Now I'm tempted to create a third character who never sneaks anywhere, and just blindly charges in. No sneak would also mean no "easy" stealing, and definitely no pickpocketing... might be a good way to start an inherently "good" character.

Damn you, putting ideas into my head and stuff. I've already got two unfinished story lines! :p Best of luck with your play-through. DiD seems really intense.

Damn you, putting ideas into my head and stuff. I've already got two unfinished story lines! :p Best of luck with your play-through. DiD seems really intense.
DiD IS intense. DOooooo eeet! I was sitting in my living room shouting "fluff fluff fluff OH plops DOn'T fluffING DIE plops fluff YOU WHORE!!! YEAH I fluffING KILLED YOUR ASS!!!" My roommates are probably looking for an exorsist.

Twiffle

my current build has few retrictions, only uses block and staffs, , its .. .. .. well interesting,

kyleekay

DiD IS intense. DOooooo eeet! I was sitting in my living room shouting "fu** fu** fu** OH pl*** DOn'T f***ing DIE pl*** fu** YOU WHORE!!! YEAH I f***ing KILLED YOUR ASS!!!" My roommates are probably looking for an exorsist.

Hahaha. That is... spectacular. :D I will have to create a (less serious) character to try that on. Ajira is taking up a bunch of my time with the RP and all, and I'm still using Tally-Wa to go through the MQ. Oh, how Skyrim sucks your life away... ;)

Baelor

That's a really interesting point... Now I'm tempted to create a third character who never sneaks anywhere, and just blindly charges in. No sneak would also mean no "easy" stealing, and definitely no pickpocketing... might be a good way to start an inherently "good" character.

Thats' what is so great about this game though.... who cares if you have 3 characters going at once? Play them all!!!!

I won't be blindly just rushing through dungeons though. I will be looking for traps, and if I have enough distance between me and the bad guys, maybe I can get an idea of how I want to approach the upcoming fight.. but yes, it will make it much more difficult without sneaking as I am not going to get any sneak attacks in with my bow.

TomatoThief

Currently Heavy Armor, Sword+Board, and Sword+Sword. I do not Sneak, nor do I use Archery. This is not a self imposed restriction based on Roleplaying, this is simply me not needing to Sneak or PewPewTwang. I often travel with the Mage from Azura's Shrine. She's primarily there to carry Dragon Bones and Scales, but she's good for eliminating ranged threats as well. Sometimes I think she's more powerful than I am.

Seriously, what's so special about the Dragonborn when the game is owning itself at every turn? When since Helgen has a dragon actually bested the rank and file guards?

Neriad13

Premium Member
Then, charge in balls blazing! ;)

Ow, wow, that sounds painful. You've got to find some ointment for that or a healing spell. :D

As for not sneaking, on my first couple characters I never snuck at all. I played warriors and mages who dashed into danger with flaming hands and drawn blades. Then I got Dishonored and ever after got really interested in exclusively playing stealthy characters. And now I'm playing Bioshock 2 and re-learning how to take down hordes of enemies in massive melees, haha. Anyway, comparing the two playstyles side by side, I'd have to say that neither is really more difficult than the other - the thrills you get using either class are simply of different types. Stealth, in my opinion, tends to involve strategically taking down enemies one by one more often than not. Warrior classes usually end up engaging multiple enemies at once and the skill in using the class comes from learning how to survive in such a hostile environment. They're both great ways to play and if you've never tried out a certain playstyle before, it's always a good idea to give it a go.

Rafter75

I've always played sneak build. Until I made my new Nord 2 handed warrior. I'm have fun running in sword brandished. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Fus Ro Dah! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts