• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

The unique enchantment on the Gloves of the Pugilist found on Gian the Fist in the Ratway(Riften) has been providing oodles of fun for me in my recent gameplay. I used an amped-up Fortify Alchemy necklace(created with fortify restoration/alchemy/enchanting loop) to produce an extremely powerful Fortify Enchanting potion. Used that potion to craft a set of gauntlets with Fortify Unarmed for +75 points. Now your equipped follower will most often go hand-to-hand in close quarter melee rather than use a blade ! My follower , Illia , very rarely used a weapon/shield in combat prefering to use wards and ice attacks even up close. Gave her these gauntlets and now she is a bare-knuckles beast ! Especially entertaining was her "put up your dukes" posturing after she had cold-cocked a Dragr Deathlord who was trying to paw her and being perched up on the nose of an ancient dragon poking it with lefts and rights while I was skewering the beast from the side with my Daedric bow ! When she finally leaves my service , I`m gonna give these gauntlets to my buddy , Z`jargo , and see what he can do with those claws other than throw sparks.

You might want to pick the other khajiit follower to use the guantlets, considering they actually have more combat oriented perks than J'zargo.

also, you should enchant a ring to go with those gauntlets.

also, keep in mind that there is supposedly a damage cap around 60-70 damage for unarmed combat, even with enchants.

Adam Warlock

You might want to pick the other khajiit follower to use the guantlets, considering they actually have more combat oriented perks than J'zargo.

also, you should enchant a ring to go with those gauntlets.

also, keep in mind that there is supposedly a damage cap around 60-70 damage for unarmed combat, even with enchants.
thanks for the tip re: the ring . wasn`t aware of the unarmed damage cap but it`s the effect on how combat plays out that I like best anyway. As for Dro`marash(the alternate you mentioned who is available to me) and the like , since I am now at level 70 it is my understanding that his level is locked well below that and that only Z`jargo will level up beyond 50(can`t confirm on xbox). I had been considering moving on to Z`jargo for that reason since Illia is supposedly also locked below 50 and is probably only holding up because all her armor and jewelry is double enchanted with extra health and magicka. my style of combat has been to sneak up and get in a bow shot or two before Illia starts the party with her ice spears and a staff of fireballs. When the enemy rushes in at her , I charge in from the side or behind with a sword or magic to help finish them off. Very effective against just about everything that doesn`t fly or float around like a dragon priest. So I definitely prefer mages who work at a range and only melee when they have to. Because this approach usually leaves me close by Illia when we`re down to the last baddie , I have the opportunity to step back and watch her deliver beat downs. No blood or pyrotechnics but some very satisfying thumps and thuds

Adam Warlock

Follower levels can be reset by hitting them with wabbajack
i knew that you could do that with a player that was locked in at a lower level but does it actually work to bring them over the level 50 total cap that most of them have because if that`s the case , I might keep Illia rather than let her go into the Blades as I had planned. also Illia has a bug where once she leaves your service , she won`t rejoin. will the wabbajack efffects break the follower`s commitment to you ?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
i knew that you could do that with a player that was locked in at a lower level but does it actually work to bring them over the level 50 total cap...
No. They will only update up to their level cap. Many followers have a level cap lower than 50. Ilia's cap is 40. J'Zargo's cap is 81 but his skills don't increase after level 50 except for his Restoration skill. His health stamina and magicka will continue to increase though.

Adam Warlock

No. They will only update up to their level cap. Many followers have a level cap lower than 50. Ilia's cap is 40. J'Zargo's cap is 81 but his skills don't increase after level 50 except for his Restoration skill. His health stamina and magicka will continue to increase though.
thanks for the info. most of my followers/housecarls are locked at 40-50 and near or at caps except Sven. when circumstances allow i will wabbajack him to his max even though i`ll probably not use him again. just wanna pay him back for keeping the wolves from biting me on the ass when i went out hunting. So Z`jargo doesn`t develop any new spells except for something like Grand Healing/Close Wounds ? Do his wards improve enough to affect my decisions about his armor and enchants ? Disappointing that he will need a staff of chain lightning/summons storm atronach since he won`t cast them on his own like my volkihar vampire Dead Thralls do.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...So Z`jargo doesn`t develop any new spells except for something like Grand Healing/Close Wounds ? Do his wards improve enough to affect my decisions about his armor and enchants ? Disappointing that he will need a staff of chain lightning/summons storm atronach since he won`t cast them on his own like my volkihar vampire Dead Thralls do.

I haven't really used J'Zargo but according to the UESP Skyrim article on him, he only casts apprentice level spells. He supposedly makes for a good battle mage because he has Heavy armor and One-Handed as primary skills.

If your going to equip him with staves, in case you didn't already know, many non-mage followers also use staves very effectively. In the past my Lydia has looted staves off of dead mages on her own during the heat of battle and ditched her Legendary Daedric Bow to dual wield them against enemies.

caps are all well and good, but the problem with J'zargo is that he won't use higher level spells, ever, and he always duel casts them so he runs out of magicka hella quick for minimal result, you're better of getting marcurio for a mage (he is heaps better than j'zargo in combat) or if you want the fist fighting than there is that khajiit that bodyguards the caravans, you can get them.

Wolfchant

WELL SIR, first you rig up a system of levers and pulleys, then witchcraft happens, then you can see their level