PC (FPS Related) Is this normal?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Stone

Retired Moderator
Generally on Skyrim on PC, when I enter a new area like a city, hold, dungeon, cave, etc. when I first look around it lags/stutters slightly whilst I'm turning the camera around. I have one explanation for this and I don't know if it's correct. Is this just normal because it's loading the area around me? I assume so, and it's not a problem, I'm just wondering if this is a issue or not.

The same thing happens on basically every other game I play.

tragik

Premium Member
Stone,

I'll chime in because I think you are correct. From a hardware aspect of it, I am running on a xbox360. Especially if you are seeing it on other games it would seem it is trying to render the area. Maybe a small test would be reduce the quality of the game (settings) and see if it is better..

From an IT/hardware stand point I would see if you can tell what your memory and CPU are doing at this time.. are they spiking or staying strong and level? If they are staying level then it sounds like that video card is working hard get the level rendered.

Again, this is from a hardware aspect and past experiences so someone on a PC might have better insight.

xDonna

Yeah! It's loading. They have a lot of graphics to be loading up in such a short time that it tends to lag a little.
That or your PC struggles to support it. But considering that it does that on Xbox for a second or two, I'd believe it's just loading up.

Jesse121

Can some one tell me why i get very low fps on skyrim in some areas?

im running:
8gb ram
Nvidia 560ti 2gb vram
Amd fx6100 6-core cpu

I can play crysis 2 on ultra and every other game i play aswell, why do i lag?
i checked the requirements for the game and my pc can hande three times that.
is it just a mess up in the making of the game, i was reading about the upcoming update it said it was meant to fix lag issues on the ps3, im hoping it will help, but is anyone else having the same problem?

xDonna

Well, you'd probably be getting an update too.

It's just 'cause it has to load up a large and detailed area in a few seconds.

Jesse121

Well, you'd probably be getting an update too.

It's just 'cause it has to load up a large and detailed area in a few seconds.

Yes, but that is why they use post processing.
and also i would think that the open areas would be more detailed, i have my vision distance at max and don't loose and fps when i am look at a very large area with all the same details plus more.

xDonna

Yes, but I would believe that the large areas would load in sections as it goes along just like old RPGs used to.
Since the dungeons and caves cannot do that considering you could blast through it, it must take time.
That's what I'd think anyway.

Jesse121

Yes, but I would believe that the large areas would load in sections as it goes along just like old RPGs used to.
Since the dungeons and caves cannot do that considering you could blast through it, it must take time.
That's what I'd think anyway.
You would be correct in thinking the map loads the larger areas in sections, i have a friend that plays skyrim and he has a lower spec PC and he encounters his game freezing when it loads the other sections of the area, i have never had it happen.
And i would understand dungeons and caves to take longer but no a high spec custom gaming rig, I mean take crysis and crysis 2 for example they are a complete open world and very advanced physics, the graphics are ten times better than skyrim and its almost fully destructible, yet on the highest setting for crysis 1 and 2 i get a standard 80fps and with skyrim on the highest setting i get 50fps and if i go to solitude or some other big city i get as low as 15, i just don't understand that.
it maybe that the people at Bethesda stuffed up somewhere in the making of the game?

xDonna

Ah, well that would prove my theory.

Perhaps, I couldn't really tell you considering that I don't work for Bethesda. :L

Jesse121

Ah, well that would prove my theory.

Perhaps, I couldn't really tell you considering that I don't work for Bethesda. :L
Well i wish some one worked there with better skills, that would mean no more bugs and no dodgy lag issues, better game all in all. but that just will never happen, EVER :p lol

xDonna

Well, they do have a lot of stuff to be doing before the deadline. That's why so much patches come out after a game [:

Jesse121

Well, they do have a lot of stuff to be doing before the deadline. That's why so much patches come out after a game [:
True, but still they take there time with the patches that are coming and the creation kit is taking way to long it was meant to be released on the the day skyrim was, yet i'm still waiting for it

xDonna

You really don't understand what they have to do in short space, do you? :L
And they must have it tested a load of times also so people don't freak out when the patches come out. :p

Jesse121

You really don't understand what they have to do in short space, do you? :L
And they must have it tested a load of times also so people don't freak out when the patches come out. :p
Hahaha i have to admit it would be difficult but, you so other game company's that make games with no bugs, and I'm not saying that i can do better then they could but. and i wounder if they seen any bugs.
and i have noticed that on higher end pcs there aren't as many bugs but on lower spec pcs there are heaps.

xDonna

Well, they might have such a short deadline as Bethesda. They come out with a game every single year and co-produce other games.

Jesse121

Well, they might have such a short deadline as Bethesda. They come out with a game every single year and co-produce other games.
Yeah, point taken, i could never make a game i would want to play it to much and a year isn't that long when you have to make a game a as big as skyrim.

xDonna

Haha, well, I'd say after they spend months coming up with plots, making it and getting it tested they probably never want to see the game again. :L

Jesse121

Haha, well, I'd say after they spend months coming up with plots, making it and getting it tested they probably never want to see the game again. :L
That is a very good point, i wouldn't want to see it or hear about it either, no wonder they get sloppy with the updates they are just sick of doing things to make it better.

xDonna

Haha, exactly. I would too if they were like "Oh, you just made this game that took a whole year of your life to do? Yeah, make a patch and updates now too. Oh, and we want DLC soon also!"

I really wanted to be a video game designer until I thought of all that. I'd be turned off video games for life.

Jesse121

Haha, exactly. I would too if they were like "Oh, you just made this game that took a whole year of your life to do? Yeah, make a patch and updates now too. Oh, and we want DLC soon also!"

I really wanted to be a video game designer until I thought of all that. I'd be turned off video games for life.
Hmmm, yeah well i wanted to be a game developer until now, when i realized how much i would be turned of gaming, Hmm a game tester position wouldn't be to bad, i would get to test all the games before they were released.
you know i find dragons a bit of a push over in skyrim, lol just really changed the subject but it had to be said.